Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2998997 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Greenbanks "Dry January 2019" thread has been blocked by our corporate firewall:

So any time I want to maliciously prevent you reading a thread, I can just post a link to some site selling booze or fags? Good to know.  :demon:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
As usual, there are many con trails in the sky this morning.  However, one of them is very strange and something I've never seen before. A trail heading east has made a great loop and seems to be returning from whence it came.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Driver thought he'd left the gas on.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Or could be in a holding pattern waiting for a runway? Though I like Mr L's version better.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Tech problem, turning back.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Halfway through drawing a CDC - which I'm surprised and disappointed nobody had thought to suggest already... :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Chemtrails. Just making sure you get extra...  :demon:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

The pharmacist responsible for this needs to take a long, hard look at themself.

The pharmacist responsible for this needs to take a long, hard look at themself.

<snort>

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
I'd have thought that somebody would have noticed something cock-eyed about that!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Typical balls-up.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Hand written prescriptions ???
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Have we had the Periodic Table of Irrational Nonsense before?

http://www.crispian.net/PTIR/Nonsense.html
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

Click here for a really bad cycling-related pun.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Have we had the Periodic Table of Irrational Nonsense before?

http://www.crispian.net/PTIR/Nonsense.html

I think Cruspian Jago also did the Venn Diagram of Irrational Nonsense.  No prizes for guessing that Scientology was smack in the middle.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
The baker's shop in the village has this year's Seville oranges in.  I now have 6 kg of the things, plus 12kg of sugar and 10 large lemons.  The first dozen jars are in tonight's dishwasher load.  Think my evenings will be occupied for the next few days.   Having done the sums a few years back, it's cheaper to buy marmalade.  But that's not the point, is it?  And you can't get marmalade flavoured with Chivas Regal, or Grouse, or Talisker……, but Ardbeg 10yo is going a bit too far....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Happy marmalading!

I think there's a marmalade thread over in 'Food and Drink'...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Amazon asked for ANOTHER review of the shoe horns I bought recently.

I liked these shoe horns and my partner used them, as expected, when changing shoes.
As he is neither a giant nor a dwarf, they were the correct size.
We did not use the shoe horns to open jars, pick noses or eat ice cream and I advise potential future purchasers to avoid attempting to use them for this.

Cudzoziemiec

They obviously think you're good at it! Give them more of the same.  ;)

ian

Another note from the crazy lady on the street beyond ours, though I caught her doing a stealth letter-box run this time, swinging open the under-house doors as she walked up the driveway. She practically threw the letter at me and ran off.

Oh, what sleight, what misfeasance, what dastardly dark deed have we deployed to raise her ire this time? Previous horrors have included twigs from our tree on her parking spaces, a workman loitering in front of her house and, allegedly, looking. LOOKING! There's a list. Inappropriately dressed workmen (honestly, I don't want to see their beer guts either, dear). This particular case took two entire pages to detail.

Seems our workman knocked on her door 'aggressively' (she has this on CCTV apparently) and then moved a parking cone on her sacrosanct parking spaces (she has no car but four spaces, which is blocks off). He was knocking on her door to ask about the bloody cones (her parking spaces are by our fence which he was painting). Etc. Etc.

I wouldn't mind so much, but our fence was painted this summer, it's a good six months ago. I'm not really bothered anyway, she's locally famous for this, and best not to engage, she's evidently mentally fragile.

Cudzoziemiec

Another unit of measurement. Or comparison. The Maracana stadium attendance. One MSA equals 199,854 people, the number who attended the 1950 World Cup final. (Somebody's keeping a spreadsheet of these, aren't they?)

Spectators watched the 1950 world cup final in the old Maracanã stadium in Brazil ...

... pilgrims attended the last Prayagraj Kumbh Mela in 2013 – enough to fill 600 Maracanãs – that’s equivalent to the population of Japan
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/15/why-kumbh-mela-in-prayahraj-is-festival-to-end-all-festivals

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
how can it be the festival to end all festivals when it will happen again?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
how can it be the festival to end all festivals when it will happen again?

From a crap joke thread:

"I had the holiday of a lifetime! Not doing that again..."

Anyway, this is amazing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46891412
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Wonderful, isn't it?  A timelapse of its formation would be interesting, but you'd have to have prior notice.

Apparently you need warm water rising against cold as well as a current to spin it. Sounds a bit like a tornado.

https://youtu.be/ILG4sLfXYNQ
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

So some people are getting buzzy because Gillette advertising has finally discovered irony. I haven't seen the ad (and I haven't used a Gillette razor for about ten years) but there's enough noise that I've heard about it, or at least people's reactions to it. And there's a film about Colette, which I haven't seen and none of whose books I've ever read. But when I saw a poster for the movie today, you've already guessed my mind went click, "Colette! The best a man can get!" They should get me writing the scripts for Mad Men.  :hand: