Author Topic: Android smartphone as a GPS (Copilot, Viewranger)  (Read 3100 times)

AndyH

Android smartphone as a GPS (Copilot, Viewranger)
« on: 20 December, 2010, 02:46:38 pm »
I don't like the idea of googlemaps not being stored on the phone, so I am thinking of using Copilot 8 (for in the car) and / or Viewranger for OS maps.

Anyone got any experience of these on an android smartphone ? Or are there any other alternatives ?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Android smartphone as a GPS (Copilot, Viewranger)
« Reply #1 on: 20 December, 2010, 04:23:53 pm »
Alpinequest looks interesting.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 20 December, 2010, 04:26:10 pm »
I've used Copilot on iPhone.

It's perfectly adequate. However, being spoiled by being able to plan routes for my Garmin 705 I tend to use that rather than submit myself to the vagaries of Sat Nav direction finding.
It is simpler than it looks.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #3 on: 20 December, 2010, 04:36:44 pm »
Co-pilot is excellent and a real bargain.
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #4 on: 20 December, 2010, 04:57:58 pm »
There are quite a few alternatives for downloading and storing maps on Android. Some of these are more GPS than turn by turn Sat Nav but a couple of suggestions. Most have demo/free option so you can try them out.

Locus is a free app that supports several different map formats including OSM, Bing etc. You can create maps on PC and transfer them, works well with geocaching apps as it supports queries etc.

A hacked version of Google Maps called brut that enables maps to be downloaded offline and used in the app. I know it is highly thought of over on XDA but I have not used this app much.

MM Tracker displays Memory Map qct files. There is a free version to check it works on your phone first. I use this with Memory Map for OS maps.

OSM And is an OSM based app that features navigation although I have not used this one.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 20 December, 2010, 07:05:51 pm »
There's a list of OSM based Android software here: Android - OpenStreetMap Wiki
Some of them allow downloading maps to use offline. Though I've not tried any of them.

« Reply #6 on: 20 December, 2010, 08:28:21 pm »
I don't like the idea of googlemaps not being stored on the phone, so I am thinking of using Copilot 8 (for in the car) and / or Viewranger for OS maps.

Anyone got any experience of these on an android smartphone ? Or are there any other alternatives ?

Pretty sure the new Google Maps for Android (V5) is now able to cache maps and directions from navigation on your phone so it will work with no data connection. http://www.techreviews.org/tech-news/google-supports-offline-viewing-in-google-maps-app.html

Other than that, CoPilot is good but of course very car focussed. There are some decent OSM maps but I've not found one that caches well. Perhaps someone needs to produce an app that parses Garmin IMGs so we could view OSM generated maps...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 20 December, 2010, 08:46:39 pm »
Yes, new google maps is witchy: downloaded maps, 3d, streetview hooked to the compass for faux tourism.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

AndyH

« Reply #8 on: 22 December, 2010, 04:17:33 pm »
Thanks for the links / advice.

I'll play with some of the opensource stuff before buying anything, although it's usually a bit too geeky difficult for me.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 04 January, 2011, 02:48:22 pm »
Try Skobbler too.  It's very much a "take me to W1" type navigation (rather than map) app, uses OSM.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #10 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:30:59 pm »
Try Skobbler too.  It's very much a "take me to W1" type navigation (rather than map) app, uses OSM.

Ohhh - Skobbler is shiny  :D