Author Topic: Garmin Edge vs. Oregon (and the battery thing!) WWYD?  (Read 16167 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Garmin Edge vs. Oregon (and the battery thing!) WWYD?
« Reply #50 on: 23 November, 2010, 11:00:40 am »
BikeHike has an advantage over Mapsource + City Navigator in showing contour lines at the same time as everything else.  You can send the route straight to the memory card; you don't have to swap back and forth between programs.

(The OSM map combined with contours I tried in Mapsource had holes in it, just where I didn't need them as well).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #51 on: 23 November, 2010, 12:46:08 pm »
If you plan with autorouting turned on in Mapsource and save out as a GPX, you get a file that looks very similar to the one Greenbank has - that is, a few Routepoints with loads of 'gpxx' points.  I'm just speculating - that Mapsource can do this on its own.

It's on my list of things to do to check out what can and can't be done with each programme/website (Mapsource and bikehike). I've not done too many routes myself, and usually they've been done in a hurry, and never with Mapsource.

I have some time over the next few evenings so I'll begin to take a look and report back.

Needless to say, a couple of GPX files (to solve the out/back routing problems) for a long ride, all created on one website/program with minimal faffage is just fantastic for me.

The only thing you have to make sure of is that the GPS has been setup for the right kind of routing settings. I ran into trouble on the Snowdon & Coast 400 as it didn't like the look of some very small roads (the single lane road through Cwm Penmachno between the B4391/B4407 and the A5) that it wanted to keep me on the B4391, down through Ffestiniog and up the A470 to Betws-Y-Coed. I think I needed to set it to 'off-road' routing, but I've promptly forgotten what it was set to...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #52 on: 23 November, 2010, 01:00:41 pm »
The only thing you have to make sure of is that the GPS has been setup for the right kind of routing settings.

So doesn't that suggest that the gpxx points don't actually do anything?  If the GPS is happy to go its own way anyway?
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #53 on: 23 November, 2010, 01:32:27 pm »
I used to use a 705 with GPX files (saved rides folder) and it worked fine up to a point but would often jam on longer rides and took for ever to calculate the route. So checking how the GPX works on a short ride may not show up the problem the 705 has with GPX files. Gpxx is the way to go inho for the 705/605.

« Reply #54 on: 23 November, 2010, 02:02:14 pm »
The only thing you have to make sure of is that the GPS has been setup for the right kind of routing settings.

So doesn't that suggest that the gpxx points don't actually do anything?  If the GPS is happy to go its own way anyway?

As I understand it (which is far from 100%) is that it'll find a route through all of the GPX points, but the GPXX points are just a suggestion (and what is displayed on the map as a track). If the routing algorithm decides to take you on a route other than the GPXX route then the routing settings need tweaking.

The S&C400 was all my fault that I didn't check (by zooming out) that the two were the same. Nor did I have it setup to have both the suggested route (by routing algorithm) and the track (by gpxx) on the screen at the same time, otherwise I would have noticed them diverge and known to correct it.

The problem is that to get the screens that pop-up and say "left in 300m onto B4401" requires routing (and for the routing to be correct). The alternative is a route with route points placed at each junction and named appropriately, which takes much more time.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #55 on: 25 November, 2010, 06:38:49 pm »
To be fair to the Edge 705 mount, I've done 5000km+ with mine and it's holding just as well as it did on day 1. Doesn't stop me being nervous about it though.

Stem mounted works best and leaves handlebars free for hands...

OK, to be fair, the issue is not holding it in situ or the basic design, it is when you DON'T mount the device in the holder that the clip is most subject to getting caught, bending, weakening and breaking.  I've tried different locations and they all seem to suffer. The Oregon seems to be made of sterner stuff, although when I mentioned it previously someone here said that was also prone to weakening. The Oregon has a larger mass and therefore will stress a bracket more than a 705

How old is your 705?

Apparently, the current Edge bracket is an improvement on the older one, with a thicker clip: MTBR.com - New Edge Mount.

And this for those who also want the unit to fit a bit more tightly.  (I just got two and compared to the recently-purchased original).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #56 on: 26 November, 2010, 11:32:55 am »
Registered people only to view those images, unfortunately
It is simpler than it looks.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #57 on: 26 November, 2010, 11:40:04 am »
I signed up just to see the images!

The text of the post is interesting anyway.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #58 on: 04 January, 2011, 10:33:50 am »
Well, wedding costs mean that I've not any room for GPS indulgence but that's probably for the best. Going to see how I get on doing an SR and then maybe treat myself if I'm still in a job come the autumn.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)