Author Topic: Transcontinental 2017.  (Read 45542 times)

Phil W

simonp

Re: Transcontinental 2017.
« Reply #51 on: 02 December, 2016, 10:48:54 am »
I couldn't persuade myself that I really wanted to do it, so I didn't proceed to the application stage.

Good luck to everyone. My goal now will be to ride my fastest LEL, having done my fastest PBP last year.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 08 December, 2016, 07:47:12 pm »
Well, that reasoning will increase sales. I still won't be wearing a world champion's or TdF leader's jersey, though others enjoy doing so.

I happened to be reading "The Rules" just now, and noticed this one:

Rule #16 // Respect the jersey.
Championship and race leader jerseys must only be worn if you’ve won the championship or led the race.

So that supports your statement above quite nicely.

... whilst clearly allowing race participation jerseys. I trust that this will bring an end to the discussion ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #53 on: 08 December, 2016, 07:58:52 pm »
As always, you can and will do whatever you like, no matter how wrong I think you are.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #54 on: 08 December, 2016, 09:02:40 pm »
This is the YACF version of that scene from 'Downfall'.....

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #55 on: 24 December, 2016, 03:54:24 pm »
well, i've been offered a place by regular entry - what to do, what to do!..  ::-) it's starts five days after the national 24, so would still be very knackered. which event to choose (i reaaaaaly think it's a bad idea to do both!). there'll be time to ponder while riding the festive500.

rob

« Reply #56 on: 24 December, 2016, 04:09:41 pm »
well, i've been offered a place by regular entry - what to do, what to do!..  ::-) it's starts five days after the national 24, so would still be very knackered. which event to choose (i reaaaaaly think it's a bad idea to do both!). there'll be time to ponder while riding the festive500.

George from Rapha CC did both didn't he ?

I know it's Christmas and I should be charitable, but if you were to do the Transcontinental then a few of us would have the chance to finish a bit higher up in the 24 ?

Best of luck making a decision and all the best for the event you choose.

Rob

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #57 on: 24 December, 2016, 04:58:31 pm »
yes, he did and massive kudos to him. the way i see it is that i'll be knackered after three days into tcr anyway (as everyone else, except the select few), and starting with tired legs would cost around 200km over the first three days*, which isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

*instead of ~350k/day target, i'd be happy with ~280k/day

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #58 on: 24 December, 2016, 05:19:04 pm »
You certainly couldn't do both to the best of your ability, but yeah, you could probably go for it in the 24, and still have an enjoyable ride on the TCR (probably finishing faster than most of us could, too!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #59 on: 24 December, 2016, 08:23:32 pm »
See you on the start line of the TCR zigzag :)
often lost.

rob

« Reply #60 on: 24 December, 2016, 09:12:49 pm »
I still couldn't walk very well the weekend after the 24.   More my back than my legs, though.   Must be an age thing.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #61 on: 24 December, 2016, 09:38:29 pm »
I still couldn't walk very well the weekend after the 24.   More my back than my legs, though.   Must be an age thing.

for me, aches (mainly in leg and neck muscles) have subsided in 4-5 days, but still felt quite fatigued - it took about a month to fully recover

rob

« Reply #62 on: 24 December, 2016, 09:46:33 pm »

for me, aches (mainly in leg and neck muscles) have subsided in 4-5 days, but still felt quite fatigued - it took about a month to fully recover

I tried a 12hr 6 weeks later and struggled.   I'm going to move things around this year and finish with the 24hr.   I promised the family a long Summer holiday this year.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #63 on: 26 December, 2016, 09:22:47 am »
;D

But sherioushly ... experience says that I'm usually "fine" a couple of weeks after long/hard rides, provided it's just "normal" fatigue; the chances of picking up a niggle are non-zero.

Those things can take months to fix; that's why I tend not to plan back-to-back big challenges now.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #64 on: 26 December, 2016, 12:35:53 pm »
OT but Rob, do you know that the Breckland 12 is moving to the end of July this year? 

rob

« Reply #65 on: 26 December, 2016, 02:52:31 pm »
OT but Rob, do you know that the Breckland 12 is moving to the end of July this year?

Yeah, weekend after the 24hr.   I'll be doing either the Newbury or the KCA this year.

« Reply #66 on: 26 December, 2016, 07:52:14 pm »

While you could do both, your TCR would suffer significantly.  Some people would be happy with that.  For me, if it's a race, I want to do my best, so I wouldn't be happy.  Someone who just wanted to participate could take a different view.
For me, if I had to make that choice, I'd do the TCR, as I thought it was fabulous this year.  If I were you, I'd also do the TCR as you can be competitive in that with less preparation and adaptation than it would take for you to do your best 24.  But great choice to have! Congratulations on getting offered a place.

« Reply #67 on: 27 December, 2016, 07:49:25 pm »
Zigzag, I assume that you also gained a spot by completing the competition entry too?
That email was a fantastic pre Christmas present.
I hope that you choose to do the race and if so look forward to meeting you in Geraardsbergen.

I've committed to a cycle tour a couple of weeks prior to the start of TCR from Paris to Turin, stopping off to watch a couple of the Alp stages of the TDF.
I'm not sure if its ideal tapering, but its a mates 50th Birthday gig so I won't let him down. We will have a few days to hole up in Piedmont after the ride  to carbo load  and get the anti oxidants in before I head up to the start of the TCR.

I'm really looking forward to the whole process.

often lost.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #68 on: 02 January, 2017, 01:20:31 pm »
No MJB blue dot in 2017 sadly.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #69 on: 02 January, 2017, 01:37:05 pm »

Same. Bit of a pisser tbh. Ah well, at least I now don't have to buy a helmet.

« Reply #70 on: 02 January, 2017, 02:23:01 pm »
Bad luck, you two.

LEL then, Dale?

« Reply #71 on: 02 January, 2017, 02:46:53 pm »
Bad luck!
The are lots of other events...

« Reply #72 on: 02 January, 2017, 05:12:40 pm »
Sorry to hear that guys.
The quality of the entries really puts the enormity of the event in perspective.
Those of us who have secured a spot need to bear that in mind and give it our very best effort.

I hope that you get to do some other funky event this year instead and have a blast.
often lost.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #73 on: 02 January, 2017, 07:47:04 pm »

That's a silver lining!

Bad luck chaps.  Is the selection criteria/details/etc public anywhere? I keep seeing various hints, most infuriating !!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #74 on: 02 January, 2017, 07:55:44 pm »

That's a silver lining!

Bad luck chaps.  Is the selection criteria/details/etc public anywhere? I keep seeing various hints, most infuriating !!

Ballot unless you're a woman, veteran or a complete bod who scored top marks on the application. I think. I didn't really read the e-mail.