Author Topic: Indian Pacific Wheel Race.  (Read 50883 times)

dim

Re: Indian Pacific Wheel Race.
« Reply #250 on: 02 April, 2017, 08:44:47 pm »
Mike was concerned about the Austalian roads as far back as 2013 .... watch this video from 4 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GRUZhBAPPk

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

simonp

« Reply #251 on: 03 April, 2017, 12:01:24 pm »
Was chatting with my former rowing coach on Saturday. Turns out he used to work with Mike.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #253 on: 17 June, 2017, 09:54:55 am »
I've not yet seen anything official about the crash, like a police or coroner's report. Has anybody else?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #254 on: 18 June, 2017, 07:37:21 pm »
I haven't seen anything either and I would assume the info would end up in the public domain pretty quickly.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #255 on: 28 June, 2017, 08:34:18 am »
At Mike's funeral I spoke to his mother and she mentioned that there might be an inquest next year.  That sounds a bit late but, given the context, I didn't press her for details. 

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
IPWR 2018
« Reply #256 on: 02 October, 2017, 01:12:36 pm »

The Indian Pacific Wheel Race has been announced as running again in 2018.

Tweet on the subject

IPWR About the race

They are adding a relay category to the solo category. Am looking forward to dot watching.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Re: IPWR 2018
« Reply #257 on: 03 October, 2017, 02:19:31 pm »
Unless Kristof goes back for another crack at this, my money is on Sarah Hammond.

Purple dot ftw
<i>Marmite slave</i>

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #258 on: 03 October, 2017, 02:22:05 pm »
Unless Kristof goes back for another crack at this, my money is on Sarah Hammond.

Purple dot ftw

That was my thinking. Am hoping that Juju tries again and has more luck this time.

J
--

« Reply #259 on: 03 October, 2017, 02:44:06 pm »
Sounds great- seconded on the class displayed by Mike's family.

In terms of people I'd like to see line up, in addition to the above, my wish list would include Lael Wilcox, James Hayden and Bjorn Leonard.  Maybe Josh Ibbett will be in Australia at that point during his world tour...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #260 on: 22 January, 2018, 10:26:42 am »

Well the roster of riders has been announced.

None of the names mentioned in this thread are on the list. No Kristoff, No Sarah, No Juju.

I don't recognize any of the names on the roster.

Will be interesting to watch the race.

J
--

« Reply #261 on: 23 January, 2018, 11:36:05 am »
The inquest starts on 8 Feb.

Re: Indian Pacific Wheel Race - cancelled!
« Reply #262 on: 06 February, 2018, 11:32:19 am »
From the IPWR website
As you’re probably aware, the matter of Mike Hall’s death is before the A.C.T. Coroner’s Court with an inquest likely to be held later in the year.

Given this situation, and as more information about the potential outcomes of this process have become clear only very recently, it is with an extremely heavy heart that we cancel the 2018 Indian Pacific Wheel Race (IPWR) with immediate effect. That is, Dragon Face Pty Ltd will not be facilitating the riding of the IPWR in any way.

That reads like some fingers of blame are going to be pointed at the organisers. Crap.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Darren Franks

• Adventure Capitalist
    • The Adventure Capitalist Blog
« Reply #263 on: 06 February, 2018, 05:09:47 pm »
Unfortunately the Indi-Pac won't be running this year. Jesse has just posted a statement announcing the immediate cancellation, which reads to me like he's been advised that he might face some liability in the inquest into Mike's death.

https://www.indianpacificwheelrace.com/

« Reply #264 on: 06 February, 2018, 05:18:06 pm »
It does have that feel to it.

It may not quite come to that (and I very much hope it doesn't) but I can see a lawyer advising Jesse that it would be unwise to proceed before the inquest has reached its conclusion, in case it either criticises him or suggests that certain things should be done to mitigate risk. 

It's a bit shit that the inquest is happening now, approaching the anniversary of Mike's death, rather than months ago so that it was out of the way.  Having it around the anniversary will make it harder for the family.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #265 on: 06 February, 2018, 05:21:23 pm »
Unfortunately the Indi-Pac won't be running this year. Jesse has just posted a statement announcing the immediate cancellation, which reads to me like he's been advised that he might face some liability in the inquest into Mike's death.

https://www.indianpacificwheelrace.com/

I'm guessing it's more that the full inquest won't be complete before the race would have started. It makes a lot of sense as a decision. Let's hope the event happens next year.

J
--

« Reply #266 on: 07 February, 2018, 09:44:44 am »
It appears that they've not been able to get organiser's liability insurance.

« Reply #267 on: 07 February, 2018, 10:20:09 am »
Ah.

I can imagine, pending outcome of the inquest, the liability might be difficult to calculate.

Wonder what the implications are for TCR and trans-am? Insurance underwriters are global institutions.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #268 on: 07 February, 2018, 11:47:58 am »
Ah.

I can imagine, pending outcome of the inquest, the liability might be difficult to calculate.

Wonder what the implications are for TCR and trans-am? Insurance underwriters are global institutions.

Not necessarily global institutions Mc Ch.  This may also be a peculiarity of Ozzy regs.
often lost.

« Reply #269 on: 07 February, 2018, 02:33:20 pm »
We've had no problem getting insurance for the inaugural Texas Overland Wheel Race in October, but as one said, it's probably an Oz thing and in any case, Coroner's Courts anywhere in the former empire have wide ranging investigative responsibilities and I suppose Dragon is taking the wait and see attitude to heart.

I hope the IndiPac comes back but no doubt it all depends on the outcome of the court. Whether or not the accident will prove to have been the result of cyclist error or drivers error, one additional requirement TOWR will make is a mandatory six hour rest at night.

« Reply #270 on: 07 February, 2018, 02:42:10 pm »
Mandatory 6hour rest periods at night are a huge change from normal ultra-distance racing practises. Was that decision made on safety grounds alone?  I can imagine that the discussions over bringing in such a rule would have been, um, intense.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #271 on: 07 February, 2018, 02:45:14 pm »
I find it hard to envisage that there would be a claim against the organiser, but I can see that an insurance company would not want to run the risk for what was most likely much revenue from the policy.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #272 on: 07 February, 2018, 02:53:33 pm »
RAAM tried an option one year where Solo racers had a minimum mandatory time off the bike. It wasn't repeated.

Edit: 2006 Enduro category http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/2006/jun06/RAAM06/default
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #273 on: 07 February, 2018, 02:57:32 pm »
Mandatory 6hour rest periods at night are a huge change from normal ultra-distance racing practises. Was that decision made on safety grounds alone?  I can imagine that the discussions over bringing in such a rule would have been, um, intense.

I'm inclined to say that it's a bad idea to put a mandatory rest in. To quote the IPWR FAQ:

Will you put minimum requirements around sleep? Surely race organisers are putting road users at risk if they don’t?
Similar to Audax events, the experts in ultra-endurance cycling, no restrictions to daily riding time will be included in the IPWR rules. This is a far more complicated issue than many without considerable unsupported ultra-endurance bike racing experience would realise at first glance. Ultra-endurance cyclists are managing unpredictable conditions, situations and terrain out on the road and need to be able to make the calls that are best suited to their particular circumstances. Riders must have the freedom to decide when and where they stop, for their own safety.

There are many scenarios where any restriction on ride time would result in serious danger. These are scenarios that the IPWR ringleaders have personally experienced in multi-week unsupported races. A rider must not be forced to stop at the top of a mountain pass in a snow storm if they misjudged the time required to complete the climb and their ride time limit is up, they must have the choice to continue for their own safety - stopping for hours could result in hypothermia. A rider must not be forced to stop in the desert when being followed by dingos if their ride time limit is up, they must have the option to continue until safety is reached - stopping could result in a dangerous animal encounter. A rider must not be forced to stop short of a critical resupply, shelter or medical option if their ride time limit is up, they must have the option to continue to reach an urgent supply of water, food or medicine. Stopping could result in dehydration or waiting longer for medical treatment. Riders must have the freedom to decide when and where they stop, for their own safety.

J
--

« Reply #274 on: 07 February, 2018, 03:06:35 pm »
Hmm - making the requirement as loose as 'stop for 6hours at night' does allow for considerable latitude in deciding when to stop and take the break. It would have to become part of the route planning - I guess you could, say stop at 6pm one day, set off at midnight, ride for 28hours continuously and stop to sleep at 4am.
<i>Marmite slave</i>