Author Topic: Indian Pacific Wheel Race.  (Read 50879 times)

Re: Indian Pacific Wheel Race.
« Reply #50 on: 20 March, 2017, 04:36:56 pm »
Mike Hall appears to have got his mojo back as he appears to have sped up and according to the tracker is only (!!) 20km behind Kristof, having been 150+ earlier on. It will all start to come together in the next few days when sleep patterns become more obvious......

But must stop watching this as no work getting done........ :facepalm: :facepalm:

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #51 on: 20 March, 2017, 07:16:54 pm »
Frank's on the long straight on the Eyre Highway.

Lots of great photos here: https://www.instagram.com/indianpacificwheelrace/?hl=en
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #52 on: 20 March, 2017, 08:14:41 pm »
Frank rolling along nicely at 1:14 - come on Frank!

Phil W

« Reply #53 on: 20 March, 2017, 08:25:22 pm »
Kristof had a good stop / sleep the border , Mike may well be doing the same. Mike was within 19km of Kristof at one point, before Kristof set off again.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #54 on: 21 March, 2017, 06:39:54 am »
Frank is now about 220 km from the WA / SA border
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #55 on: 21 March, 2017, 09:44:21 am »
He's also lying twelfth.  Come on Frank, top 10, you can do it!

« Reply #56 on: 21 March, 2017, 09:49:29 am »
He's also lying twelfth.  Come on Frank, top 10, you can do it!
He is doing incredibly well! Sounding strong and mentally with it after the really tough wet first 36hours, and now moving up through the field.
Frank has experience of Audax in the hills, doesn't he, so now they are going to start to move into hillier regions it should suit him. Just another 5, 600km or so and I think they reach some proper hills.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #57 on: 21 March, 2017, 11:02:24 am »
Wow!  Amazing work from Frank.
Getting there...

« Reply #58 on: 21 March, 2017, 06:28:45 pm »
It looks like Frank is enjoying the luxury of the Mundrabilla roadhouse while Shell kips in a ditch a couple of miles up the road.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #59 on: 21 March, 2017, 07:46:24 pm »
https://youtu.be/lkVwrv3LLZA

mentally this sounds so tough. All the footage of the roads is just long straights into the distance.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #60 on: 21 March, 2017, 09:06:06 pm »
When I looked at the live tracker a couple of hours ago, Kristof appeared to be stopped at the Ceduna checkpoint (1980km) and Mike was 90km behind. Just checked again and Kristof is on the move once more, but Mike is now only 40km behind. Gripping stuff!

All the footage of the roads is just long straights into the distance.

I had a look at some of the locations on Google Earth. I would find it a mental challenge riding a 200km audax on roads like that, never mind a 5,500km race. As the person speaking in that video alluded to, I can imagine how it could in many ways be easier to ride at night.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #61 on: 21 March, 2017, 09:19:37 pm »
The race going on behind Mike and Kristof is fascinating too. It looked like Adam and Seb were matching each other but now Adam seems to be taking a lengthy stop and in the last couple of hours Sarah has overtaken him.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #62 on: 21 March, 2017, 09:35:12 pm »
That sort of terrain is extreme but now you know why I laugh at people who get bored riding through the Fens.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #63 on: 21 March, 2017, 09:56:25 pm »
Australians: schooling the world in high boredom thresholds since 1788  :demon:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #64 on: 21 March, 2017, 10:15:06 pm »
It comes from living in a country bigger than a cricket pitch.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Phil W

« Reply #65 on: 21 March, 2017, 10:16:04 pm »
The race going on behind Mike and Kristof is fascinating too. It looked like Adam and Seb were matching each other but now Adam seems to be taking a lengthy stop and in the last couple of hours Sarah has overtaken him.

Sarah is now behind Adam but there's only about an hours riding distance between them. So who needs the most rest in the next 24 hours?

αdαmsκι

« Reply #66 on: 22 March, 2017, 06:45:00 am »
Frank's dropping places.  Yesterday morning he was about 220km from the the WA / SA border. This morning he's about 20km into SA, so he's ridden ~240km in the past 24 hours. I would expect him to have covered a higher distance. I hope everything is OK.

Mike Hall is now only ~40 km behind Kristof Allegaert

« Reply #67 on: 22 March, 2017, 06:48:36 am »
Gap closing between Mike and Kristof.  Both are moving and about 40kms between them.   
Eddington: 114 Miles

αdαmsκι

« Reply #68 on: 22 March, 2017, 06:52:10 am »
I particularly like the coverage of the guy at 11 mins.  didn't quite catch his name , was it Paddy?

According to this tweet he quit at Norseman: https://twitter.com/thetenyardfight/status/844427614286741506

« Reply #69 on: 22 March, 2017, 08:15:08 am »
Frank's dropping places.  Yesterday morning he was about 220km from the the WA / SA border. This morning he's about 20km into SA, so he's ridden ~240km in the past 24 hours. I would expect him to have covered a higher distance. I hope everything is OK.
He's had a 7hour rest stop. That's the second one he's taken so far and they are both at about the same interval so I'm guessing they are strategic rather than out of desperation.

Sarah Hammond is storming along. Now 4th overall.

Mike might have closed gap on Kristof, but that is only due to Kristof taking a big rest stop. Mike will also have to take a 3hr rest soon so Kristof will pull away again.
Big surprise is Donncha retiring, and Julianna Buhring. She's said allergic reaction to mediation; earlier in vid she'd complained about really sore arse, so I'm guessing she tried something on a raw backside and it reacted badly.  Ouch.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

« Reply #70 on: 22 March, 2017, 08:32:40 am »
Anyone know what has happened to Seb and Sarah? Both have disappeared from the tracker and their names are greyed out - but not struck through. Technical problems with their tracking devices?

The fact that Frank - or anyone - is still going is a good sign in itself. There are going to be a lot more retirements before the race is finished.

« Reply #71 on: 22 March, 2017, 08:55:17 am »
Sarah isn't greyed out when I look now.

I have a feeling that grey means that the tracker is turned off.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

« Reply #72 on: 22 March, 2017, 09:03:30 am »
Yes, I've just looked again and she's back online.

« Reply #73 on: 22 March, 2017, 09:41:52 am »
Okay thicky question for the day  :facepalm: ???

Do the competitors get updates on where they are relative to the others ??? Or is that left to them finding out at rest stops??

« Reply #74 on: 22 March, 2017, 09:43:43 am »
Okay thicky question for the day  :facepalm: ???

Do the competitors get updates on where they are relative to the others ??? Or is that left to them finding out at rest stops??
They don't get updates,  but I'm sure they're checking the tracker. 
Eddington: 114 Miles