Author Topic: Flat pedals  (Read 1915 times)

Flat pedals
« on: 23 December, 2016, 09:38:01 pm »
Hopefully a quick question with lots of options. What are good flat pedals for a recumbent? I don't, and don't intend, to clip in by sole, toes or heel.

I commute, that's roughly it. I don't own a 'Strava' or have a fast bike. In truth it's a bit of a carthorse, but I like it. I am, however, bored of slipping my trainers in the wet. Sharper spikes? More spikes? MTB pins?
Cruzbike V2k, S40

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Flat pedals
« Reply #1 on: 23 December, 2016, 10:37:02 pm »
IMHO, depending on the geometry of the recumbent, flat pedals (or more precisely, a lack of foot retention) is somewhere between a mild annoyance and a recipe for a broken ankle.  I'd generally advise against it except during the early stages of learning to ride a two-wheeler.

But if you insist, I'd suggest a nice big set of BMX/MTB platforms with plenty of grippy bits.  Gravity's against you, so having as big an area to try to keep hold of as possible is what's likely to help.  I'll defer to the flat pedal users for suggestions of what that might be.

(If you're allergic to clipless, might PowerGrips be an option?  They're slightly more awkward to get into than SPDs, but an order of magnitude easier than toestraps, and work with any kind of shoes.)

« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2016, 11:13:38 pm »
I've never ridden a bent, but I liked superstar Mani's on my mtb. Nice spiky bits and gripped various trainers well.

Mike

« Reply #3 on: 24 December, 2016, 08:35:00 am »
The ultimate in grip with flats only comes with the right shoes, so if you are prepared to buy new trainers for riding in I use Five ten shoes like these ones.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/five-ten-freerider-mtb-shoes-2016/rp-prod136375?gs=1&gclid=CjwKEAiA1vjCBRDd-9q3w4OF6WUSJACWv_sVf7APj0jz4Ertg5azxZeyVXFc1lz8sJlU-U7ygr84NxoCfe3w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

When teamed up with good pin style flat pedals the grip is amazing. Good ones I currently use. Shimano Saint, Nukeproof Electron and Neutron, DMR V8s. There are a lot of options but the pin style pedals are much better than beartrap style ones.

My LWB currently has Nukeproof Electrons on it and I haven't experienced any unintentional loss of grip. Bear in mind though that the pedals are below seat level on that bike and it might be different with racier recumbents where the seat is below the pedals.

« Reply #4 on: 24 December, 2016, 02:51:06 pm »
I second the above comment.  Flats can be fine but choose the right shoe. Rose bikes have a good selection of non-SPD cycling shoes, Mrs B has some of their own brand shoes as she doesn't like to clip in on anything with less than three wheels or that isn't a tandem.

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 24 December, 2016, 03:11:22 pm »
The 5:10's brand use the same rubber used in their rock climbing shoes, so pretty sticky. Used a lot of downhill MTB with big pedals.