Author Topic: Arai drag brake  (Read 2608 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Arai drag brake
« on: 01 January, 2017, 02:50:43 pm »
I've just bought a Super Galaxy Twin in startingly good condition.  It's been modded a bit a previous owner, in that the drag brake is now operated by a lever on the stoker bars.  I did this selfsame mod to the same model bike many years ago. Looking at this one I think the reaction arm is put together wrongly. From the outside it goes bolt head, cable stop bracket, chainstay brazeon, reaction arm, bolt.  The cable stop bracket has a wee tab which doesn't quite engage on the reaction arm but should.  It looks like I csn either bend the tab or move the reaction arm so it's outboard of the chainstay brazeon.  Has anyone else got this set up? Google image search is proving fruitless.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: Arai drag brake
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2017, 06:33:00 pm »
I'll photograph ours to see if that helps.

There you go.  Not as you describe but....

Do we read anything into the purchase of the tandem???

R

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 01 January, 2017, 06:54:29 pm »
Thanks for the pic, although yours doesn't have the cable stop. Anyway, I've worked it out now.

As to your final question: I'm sure I don't know what you mean. (cough cough). Mind you I borrowed a tandem off Dave W a few weeks back.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2017, 09:21:24 pm »
Top tip for centering the shoes, the centre hole is slightly oversize to allow the plate to float. With the wheel off the bike, loosen the plate lock-nut, manually operate the brake and nip up the nut -