Author Topic: How much do you want to win?  (Read 5219 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
How much do you want to win?
« on: 05 February, 2017, 08:54:58 pm »
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: How much do you want to win?
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2017, 11:30:20 pm »
Holy crap that's incredible.  I understand why, but I could never comprehend chosing that path.
This would have to be the most extreme "win at all costs" thing I've ever seen.

« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2017, 11:57:16 pm »
It's just as well that this surgical doping didn't work! As usual, there's official collusion involved, it seems anything that isn't specifically banned will be used. It's all within the rules, no rules were broken!

« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2017, 05:42:33 am »
"That's when we tried the vascular surgery. They thought maybe we could widen the arteries going into the legs," Cape said.

That was probably expected to have the same effect as taking EPO. Frightening!

Oranj

• Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?
« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2017, 08:57:22 am »
The vascular operation on the legs is not unknown in elite cyclists. Years of cardiovascular effort with a closed hip angle can produce restrictions and kinks in the arteries. Stuart O'Grady had a similar operation and I recall there have been other cases in the European peloton recently.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2017, 09:59:43 am »
There was a rumour that Armstrong had his shoulders surgically narrowed to make him more aero. He had to have an operation on one anyway due to a break, so had this done at the same time. Or so it is rumoured.

I like that she's now an artist, and possibly more successful at that than she was as an athlete.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2017, 10:48:32 am »
The vascular operation on the legs is not unknown in elite cyclists. Years of cardiovascular effort with a closed hip angle can produce restrictions and kinks in the arteries. Stuart O'Grady had a similar operation and I recall there have been other cases in the European peloton recently.

I know of one AUK member with that problem.

« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2017, 11:04:40 am »
It's the temptations of the Faustian pact that makes professional cycling such an appealing subject. All the column inches on Armstrong derive from that premise, I'm surprised it's not become an opera.

The untainted hero is neglected in comparison. There is always a Corinthian ideal, and the cognoscenti have their favourites. But there is always the question of a flaw in the makeup of those who never step up to the plate as a senior pro.

There are those who think purity and commerce can be reconciled, and Greg Lemond means the world to them.

« Reply #8 on: 07 February, 2017, 11:16:52 am »

I use your calf muscles as an alternative map of Wales

« Reply #9 on: 07 February, 2017, 12:10:56 pm »

I use your calf muscles as an alternative map of Wales

No wonder you always get lost.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #10 on: 10 February, 2017, 02:43:45 pm »
Wasn't there a female racing-driver back in the 1920s or 30s who had a double mastectomy to enable her to squeeze into the cramped cockpit?  (No, don't even think about it!)

Not sure at what point this sort of body modification would be considered 'cheating'.

« Reply #11 on: 10 February, 2017, 04:11:38 pm »
It's the temptations of the Faustian pact that makes professional cycling such an appealing subject. All the column inches on Armstrong derive from that premise, I'm surprised it's not become an opera.

The untainted hero is neglected in comparison. There is always a Corinthian ideal, and the cognoscenti have their favourites. But there is always the question of a flaw in the makeup of those who never step up to the plate as a senior pro.

There are those who think purity and commerce can be reconciled, and Greg Lemond means the world to them.

Ayrton Senna

« Reply #12 on: 10 February, 2017, 05:12:57 pm »
Wasn't there a female racing-driver back in the 1920s or 30s who had a double mastectomy to enable her to squeeze into the cramped cockpit?  (No, don't even think about it!)

Not sure at what point this sort of body modification would be considered 'cheating'.

You post correctly - ISTR seeing an article recently, but I'm damned if I can remember where.

<tappity tappity>

Ah, found it: http://jalopnik.com/the-racing-driver-who-cut-off-her-breasts-and-aided-the-1791031217

Violette Morris is the name you were searching for. Quite the life story, but she ultimately chose... poorly... in siding with the Nazis and was gunned down by the Resistance in 1944.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #13 on: 10 February, 2017, 05:22:36 pm »
What an 'interesting' CV  ::-)

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #14 on: 10 February, 2017, 05:24:40 pm »
BC mentioned collar bones a while ago, if you think Mr Brailsford wasn't tongue-in-cheek like his "round wheels" comment at London

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/cyclists-take-secret-of-suits-to-shredder-1547673.html
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #15 on: 10 February, 2017, 06:52:14 pm »
Heh, I read the subline there as "Victorian Olympians destroy their outfits to ensure rivals cannot steal the technology for 2012."

Blimey, that's thinking far ahead.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #16 on: 14 March, 2017, 11:37:48 am »

So do I. Quite well. :S

« Reply #17 on: 14 March, 2017, 12:14:23 pm »

Wanting to win too much?

« Reply #18 on: 14 March, 2017, 12:30:07 pm »
Wanting to win too much?

Iliac Artery Compression

« Reply #19 on: 14 March, 2017, 12:45:35 pm »
Wanting to win too much?

Iliac Artery Compression

The person I know had surgery for some kind of sleeve fitted to support the artery.  I read that the operation has a limited life-span.

« Reply #20 on: 14 March, 2017, 12:52:15 pm »
Surgery is not usually a recommend solution. But if it's surgery and riding versus no riding I know what I'd be doing.

I got some way with altering bike fit and a physio who knew some tricks to help hip compression.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21 on: 15 March, 2017, 10:24:33 am »
To cut down my weight off comes my left leg
I pass the swimming costume test!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime