Author Topic: strava-zwift? eh?  (Read 4261 times)

strava-zwift? eh?
« on: 15 February, 2017, 11:15:49 am »
I was invited to join a 'club' on strava. It's for people who have had Perthes.

One person was logging quite decent ride distances and times. Riding evens for 80, 90km.

Then I noticed that the locations were exotic. All over. And the rides had 'zwift' next to them.

So they are riding on a turbo, using zwift. So strava enables you to do virtual rides with zwift and log them?

'scuse me, but riding in your living room ain't the same as riding out on the road, dealing with headwinds, rain, navigating and finding food. No way
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: strava-zwift? eh?
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2017, 11:20:06 am »
It is confusing, isn't it? When we were in Belgium, Dale uploaded his track from our ride to Brussels, and the first comment was brilliant:

https://www.strava.com/activities/694785674

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 15 February, 2017, 11:26:37 am »
'Virtual' rides logged on Strava don't count towards your mileage totals.

It's only cheating if you're trying to pretend it's something it isn't, but the rides are clearly marked as turbo sessions. Maybe you need to find something more important to worry about, mrcharly.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 15 February, 2017, 11:28:57 am »
Strava don't allow velomobiles as an option and will delete tracks ridden in one. Is a velomobile cheating, given they are riding outside, albeit not exposed to much weather?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 15 February, 2017, 11:29:28 am »
Strava don't allow velomobiles as an option and will delete tracks ridden in one.

How do they know?

« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2017, 11:37:43 am »

It's only cheating if you're trying to pretend it's something it isn't, but the rides are clearly marked as turbo sessions. Maybe you need to find something more important to worry about, mrcharly.

I'm not bothered by it and the person logging them isn't pretending anything. It isn't obvious at all - in fact I wasn't the only person confused, the mapping is out and shows his track as going into the sea, he had to explain in comments that it was zwift.

Seems ridiculous that zwift is ok but velomobiles aren't. I've looked back in strava and for quite a few of his logs I can't see anything saying it is from zwift. Certainly doesn't show up on the mobile app.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 15 February, 2017, 11:46:34 am »

They show up on club leaderboards though, which is annoying.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 15 February, 2017, 11:53:01 am »
'scuse me, but riding in your living room ain't the same as riding out on the road, dealing with headwinds, rain, navigating and finding food. No way

Isn't that why Strava has a "Turbo trainer" tickybox?

citoyen

« Reply #8 on: 15 February, 2017, 11:55:12 am »
It isn't obvious at all - in fact I wasn't the only person confused, the mapping is out and shows his track as going into the sea, he had to explain in comments that it was zwift.

I may be misunderstanding you, but your comment in your earlier post was "the rides had 'zwift' next to them" which led me to believe the rides were clearly marked. In any case, if they've been uploaded from Zwift they won't be recorded in his mileage totals.

I don't get the thing about velomobiles either. I don't understand how Strava can possibly know what type of machine you're riding.

That's odd. My Bkool sessions don't show up on club leaderboards, but maybe Zwift works differently.

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 15 February, 2017, 11:57:04 am »
Isn't that why Strava has a "Turbo trainer" tickybox?

Yep. If you use Zwift or Bkool or similar, you can sync with Strava to upload rides automatically and the box will be ticked by default.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 15 February, 2017, 11:58:06 am »
Strava don't allow velomobiles as an option and will delete tracks ridden in one. Is a velomobile cheating, given they are riding outside, albeit not exposed to much weather?

They do allow velomobiles as an option (along with electric bikes, running, skiing, whatever), it's just a non-cycling activity, so doesn't get compared to other cycle rides (even when you're part of the same group ride).  I'm not convinced that this is the best way to handle it - I'd like finer control of the bike's fudge factors for aerodynamic drag, rolling resistance, and particularly gross weight on a per-ride basis.

How do they know?

Speed profile.  Ride a velomobile at regular bike speeds and you'll get away with it.

« Reply #11 on: 15 February, 2017, 12:42:47 pm »
It isn't obvious at all - in fact I wasn't the only person confused, the mapping is out and shows his track as going into the sea, he had to explain in comments that it was zwift.

I may be misunderstanding you, but your comment in your earlier post was "the rides had 'zwift' next to them" which led me to believe the rides were clearly marked. In any case, if they've been uploaded from Zwift they won't be recorded in his mileage totals.

When I went back and looked, not all of his rides have zwift next to them. So not clearly marked at all.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12 on: 15 February, 2017, 12:46:28 pm »
Some of the alpha male types in my club get bent out of shape because strava sessions count - they make similar arguments about weather and stuff. At the end of the day, I'm doing the watts I'm doing. What next, double count miles done in the rain? What about wind direction?

Honestly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 15 February, 2017, 12:48:50 pm »

When I went back and looked, not all of his rides have zwift next to them. So not clearly marked at all.

It also requires that you understand what "Zwift" means.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #14 on: 15 February, 2017, 12:50:19 pm »
I've just checked a Zwift ride in my Strava feed - they're labelled as "John Doe - Virtual Ride" rather than "John Doe - Ride" on the workout page.

Both get the little bike icon in the newsfeed, in the same way (I assume) treadmill runs also get a little shoe icon.

If you're referring to the activity name, that's just free text - Strava doesn't put any tags in there about activity type.

« Reply #15 on: 22 February, 2017, 11:16:29 pm »

Ooh, Strava must have been listening. Just noticed there's now a "hide from leaderboards" option when uploading rides. :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #16 on: 22 February, 2017, 11:35:54 pm »
Some of the alpha male types in my club get bent out of shape because strava sessions count - they make similar arguments about weather and stuff. At the end of the day, I'm doing the watts I'm doing. What next, double count miles done in the rain? What about wind direction?

Honestly.

Im with you on this one, an hours suffering in my gym is still an hours suffering however you look at it. And its been barely above freezing in there regularly this winter.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens