Author Topic: Good bikey reads  (Read 8434 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Good bikey reads
« Reply #25 on: 13 March, 2017, 09:22:17 am »
An older book is Into the Remote Places by Ian Hibell, and although he's not a cyclist anything by Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes is completely to the point when it comes to self-sufficiency, bloody-mindedness and borderline insanity.  If you read his inspirational Mind Over Matter just before riding a PBP you'll go round without touching the sides.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-over-Matter-Antarctic-Continent/dp/0385312164/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #26 on: 13 March, 2017, 10:01:11 am »
A Bike Ride, by Anne Mustoe. Retired headmistress rides around the world, or bits of it. That was a good read.
+1 to this.

« Reply #27 on: 13 March, 2017, 07:32:34 pm »
A Bike Ride, by Anne Mustoe. Retired headmistress rides around the world, or bits of it. That was a good read.
+1 to this.
  I read it and all my fears about reading a book written by a retired headmistress were confirmed.  Would be good for those who enjoy lengthy explanations of world history.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #28 on: 13 March, 2017, 08:08:57 pm »
I would also add Flying Scotsman by Graeme Obree.  If like me, you are only aware of Graeme Obree as a "bit of a character" who was fast on the track then this is a must read book.  But do be warned, this book is an incredibly moving account of personal pain, despair and tragedy.
I had no idea...
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #29 on: 13 March, 2017, 08:25:30 pm »
I would also add Flying Scotsman by Graeme Obree.  If like me, you are only aware of Graeme Obree as a "bit of a character" who was fast on the track then this is a must read book.  But do be warned, this book is an incredibly moving account of personal pain, despair and tragedy.
I had no idea...

I've also read ( Kindle only? ) Mrs Flying Scotsman ( by Mrs Obree! ) - Even more revealing accounts...

« Reply #30 on: 13 March, 2017, 10:35:27 pm »
I've also read ( Kindle only? ) Mrs Flying Scotsman ( by Mrs Obree! ) - Even more revealing accounts...

I daren't even begin to imagine... off to order now!  Thanks :thumbsup:

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #31 on: 14 March, 2017, 01:35:40 am »
+1 to this.
  I read it and all my fears about reading a book written by a retired headmistress were confirmed.  Would be good for those who enjoy lengthy explanations of world history.
b 24 May 1933<>d 10 Nov 2009 Age76
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #32 on: 14 March, 2017, 01:45:19 am »
Mark Beaumont 3 books "The Man Who Cycled The World"; "The Man Who Cycled The Americas"; "Africa Solo".
Nick Crane "The Great Bicycle Adventure" 1987. Well before he presented Coast. (I even have a mention on p131 - derivation of my 3peaker hanger.)
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #33 on: 13 April, 2017, 09:43:31 am »
Just finished Cycling home From Siberia by Rob Lilwall. A very enjoyable read. He road some of his trip with Alastair Humphreys: it was interesting to hear a different account of the same expedition. I think they got a bit fed up with each other's company so parted along the route to cycle separately! I guess sharing a tent for four months in a Siberian winter would challenge many friendships.
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

« Reply #34 on: 13 April, 2017, 09:51:16 am »
+1 to this.

+1. I didn't finish it, I'm afraid (which is pretty rare).

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #35 on: 18 April, 2017, 06:41:46 am »
It's a well known one but 'Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle' by Dervla Murphy is a classic of any genre.

« Reply #36 on: 18 April, 2017, 11:12:15 am »
This year I enjoyed Emily Chappel's "What goes around" about her time as a London Cycle Courier.  Some lovely writing about being a member of a special sub culture...

On the same topic I recently read Cyclogeography - Journeys of a London bicycle courier and thoroughly enjoyed it.

oooooh

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #37 on: 18 April, 2017, 11:40:03 am »
+1 to this.

IME, books about cycling tours fall into two categories - those that really are about "cycling" and tend to place great emphasis on the authors' physical and mechanical prowess and those in which the bike is simply the means of transport and incidental to most of the narrative.  I tend to prefer the latter, although if it's not already mentioned here, I'd recommend After The Goldrush by John Stuart Clark as a fine example of how the two can be balanced perfectly.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #38 on: 18 April, 2017, 12:39:50 pm »
I was a motorcyclist in the late 1970s, and I read 'Jupiter's Travels' by Ted Simon. That was very influnetial, and its legacy is a foundation that encourages travel. Lots of those travellers are on bicycles. Filters to find interesting work are handy.

Jupiter's Travellers are people who seek to understand the beauties, mysteries and tragedies of our world, and their place in it, through personal adventure. They are inspired and motivated to develop their observations and insights into something of value for the rest of the world to share, whatever their medium of expression might be.

To find out more about each of the Jupiter's Travellers being supported by the Foundation, visit their websites and follow them on Facebook and Twitter:
http://jupiterstravellers.org/jupiters-travellers/

« Reply #39 on: 18 April, 2017, 01:21:55 pm »
For anyone that enjoys Tim Krabbe's "The Rider". I can recommend Bert Wagendorp's "Ventoux".

I cannot describe it any better than this:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/jan/29/bert-wagendorp-novel-cycling-tour-de-france-mont-ventoux

Like Krabbe's book, it invites re-reading and reveals additional detail each time.

Rich XAB

• Dulwich on the outside, Peckham on the inside!
« Reply #40 on: 22 April, 2017, 12:56:23 pm »
'Messengers' by Julian Sayarer. Tops 'The Rider' IMHO (slight exenger bias  ;)). Great thread. I have downloaded 'Ventoux' and am looking forward to reading the previously mentioned courier books.

« Reply #41 on: 22 April, 2017, 06:44:22 pm »
For anyone that enjoys Tim Krabbe's "The Rider". I can recommend Bert Wagendorp's "Ventoux".

Thanks for this - will order once my to-read pile is a bit reduced

« Reply #42 on: 14 July, 2017, 03:24:12 pm »
+1 to this.
... which is precisely why I enjoyed it!

« Reply #43 on: 14 July, 2017, 09:34:57 pm »
+1 to this.
... which is precisely why I enjoyed it!
As a recreational cyclist I really wish I did have an interest in history and indeed a stomach for baked beans, but unfortunate experiences as a school boy resulted in the remedial class for history and a pathological fear of baked beans.  Getting back on topic and following the recommendation by Frankie, I really enjoyed "Mind Over Matter" by Ranulph Fiennes.

« Reply #44 on: 14 July, 2017, 09:45:57 pm »
I'd recommend After The Goldrush by John Stuart Clark as a fine example of how the two can be balanced perfectly.

i've just finished this - thanks for the tip, Redlight - and learned loads!
Mostly I'm thinking I'll avoid cycling in the USA if I can help it...

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #45 on: 15 July, 2017, 08:27:35 pm »
I think it's already been mentioned but.. I am half way through 'Full Tilt, Ireland to India with a Bicycle' by Durval Murphy. This classic is a proper old fashioned adventure book from a different time. To think of a single woman cycling through Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India in the sixties is quite something. I'm not sure you would pass customs with a .25 pistol these days either! A fascicnting read, and a real inspiration.
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

« Reply #46 on: 23 July, 2017, 08:59:17 pm »
A Corinthian Endeavour .... Paul Jones.

History of the National Hill Climb.

Couldn't put it down.

Don't like hills.
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #47 on: 26 July, 2017, 11:12:15 am »
Josie Dew's books about her cycling trips haven't been mentioned. You could choose one based on the area that most interests you - Europe, Japan, America etc.

« Reply #48 on: 30 July, 2017, 11:14:59 pm »
I had no idea...
The first book about cycling I ever read, lent to me by a colleague, I had no idea who obree was (being a foreign).  I remember reading it thinking "this has been really well ghostwritten" ... the realising that he had clearly written it himself.  I have yet to read a book about cycling that is as good or as well written, in fact it's a good book even if you don't care about cycling!
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #49 on: 31 July, 2017, 06:57:07 pm »
No mention of Eileen Sheridan? Her achievements were amazing, breaking all the long-distance record as an amateur and then having to do it again when she turned professional. Her book "Wonder Wheels" is a lovely read.
I read Beryl Burton's "Personal Best" immediately afterwards, a different generation and a different approach.

Two authors are not known for their work about bicycles but both wrote stories about holiday rides,  H.G. Wells's "Wheels of Chance, A Bicycling Idyll" and
Jerome K Jerome's "Three Men on the Bummel" .