Author Topic: Tandems - what's the best option?  (Read 7738 times)

Re: Tandems - what's the best option?
« Reply #25 on: 17 March, 2017, 09:47:50 pm »
I haven't ridden with either,  but the follow me looks a lot more stable in use,  and is compatible with carrying panniers and a saddle bag.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #26 on: 17 March, 2017, 10:02:14 pm »
That's what I thought too. Panniers and stuff on the top as well. Looks like you could tour with a child using it if you can't afford a tandem. Might be a good way to try your child out on a tour before you spend on a tandem.

« Reply #27 on: 17 March, 2017, 10:24:15 pm »
There's a link to a review of the Follow-me on the other thread you kicked off (about the same time as this one).

Here it is.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #28 on: 18 March, 2017, 10:04:03 pm »
Thanks for finding that review. It's a positive review but rust is not good.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #29 on: 20 March, 2017, 04:48:01 pm »
I'm currently looking for a Follow-Me.
Getting there...

« Reply #30 on: 20 March, 2017, 05:01:38 pm »
There's one on eBay.
Rust never sleeps

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #31 on: 20 March, 2017, 07:19:04 pm »
The Helios was the best thing we've ever bought :)

+1......or should that be +2.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #32 on: 20 March, 2017, 08:33:21 pm »
We were teaching the lad to ride and a family cycled past with a followme. We were a little away from them but it looked good. Couldn't tell if it was a 12", 14", 16" or larger bike being towed but the front tyre wasn't that far above the ground. I get the impression trailgator lifts smaller bikes a little too high but this looks like it's not an issue.

« Reply #33 on: 14 April, 2017, 04:30:18 pm »
late to the party but heres my 2 peneth

a tagalong would work fine at four - but my two kids quickly wanted to ride their own bikes. We are only a few minutes from Monsal Trail so that worked fine for shorter trips. We did toy with a trailer for kids behind tandem but having 2 kids was a concern

Our Tandem is a Raleigh Pioneer U+1. They are cheap as chips but not a kiddiback per se - the frame design does mean kids from about 7 can fit safely on the back without kiddy cranks. Because of the frame design my 11yo is now able to ride as captain though I still dont trust her there for long . . .

« Reply #34 on: 14 April, 2017, 04:59:09 pm »
Follow-me = quality engineering
Trailgator = cheap bent metal.

I hate the trailgator, but never did enough tagging a long to justify a follow me, because we've always had cargobikes at our disposal.

I'm 189cm, and with bars with a lot of reach and a 140mm stem, I can get close to what I would be happy fast audaxing on. I usually ride A 60cm road bike. If you are much taller, I think you'll find it a bit short for reach if you like to be stretched out.

We've had the Circe for ages. Was great with a mini stoker, a kids seat and a trailer.

rr

« Reply #35 on: 15 April, 2017, 10:59:55 am »
We have an Orbit Libra, which could be described as a child back tandem.
I fitted it with sjs crank shorteners and micro regularly stoked from the age of 3. I would recommend shin pads though. Also fits adults on the back, up to large men.
Cheaper but less versatile than a Helios.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk