Author Topic: Home made Tandem stands?  (Read 5210 times)

Home made Tandem stands?
« on: 01 May, 2017, 06:27:17 pm »
My workshop stand is good but I don't really trust it with 20kg of Tandem

Been replacing brake and gear cables this last week and it would have been so much easier with some kind of stand, maybe something under the main frame tube so I can use it with one or other (or both?) wheels out - anyone made something workable (pref in wood) I can be inspired by - not found much on the internet

Got piles of 4x1

Re: Home made Tandem stands?
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2017, 07:28:32 pm »
I use a very basic stand, with either the front or the rear wheel touching the floor, depending on which part of the tandem needs some attention. I have never encountered a job that really needs both wheels off the floor.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2017, 06:04:19 pm »
I just use 2 stands!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2017, 07:00:05 am »
are you able to rig up ropes (generic term) to hang the tandem from suitable overhead structure?

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2017, 01:46:56 pm »
Last time I was tweaking the tandem I used a cheapo car rack (towball type) angled out far enough for the pedals to clear everything. If you have a car with a towball (or maybe you could attach a towball to a handy wall) this works a treat for about £20.*

*towball not included
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2017, 02:04:16 pm »
I use a very basic stand, with either the front or the rear wheel touching the floor, depending on which part of the tandem needs some attention. I have never encountered a job that really needs both wheels off the floor.

Me too.

« Reply #6 on: 10 June, 2017, 07:58:14 pm »
I've just got our gears working properly (I hope) using a workmate to hold the front wheel and a rope over a G cramp on the rafters attached to the rack.  It swung around a little which didn't bother me but could've been triangulated to stop the swing if I'd been arsed to do so.

« Reply #7 on: 05 December, 2017, 05:08:28 pm »
I just use 2 stands!
Snap - 2 stands works perfectly.