Author Topic: Dangerous drivers are getting away with it  (Read 20217 times)

Re: Dangerous drivers are getting away with it
« Reply #25 on: 06 May, 2017, 12:18:33 pm »
I wonder if that Vidette UK Ltd driver will get away with the most blatant example of attempted murder I've ever seen thus far.
That's gobsmackingly unbelievable.
https://twitter.com/richmchambers/status/860499830795378690
Vidette's Twitter account has vanished, as has their recruitment page that had form to contact the company on, and, apparently, the Facebook account.

Obviously the Twitter account holder wasn't prepared to criticise the driver. I hope their business suffers.
Some of the recent Google reviews are less than complementary about their H&S record:-
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=google+review+vidette&oq=google+review+vidette&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.8317j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#lrd=0x4875fda613cc56b7:0xf7064fa4214ff3f7,1,
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: 06 May, 2017, 12:29:29 pm »
Aggressive, dangerous driving, yes. Uncontrolled anger by the van driver that risked serious injury or worse for the cyclist, yes. Behaviour that deserves prosecution and custodial sentencing, yes.

Attempted murder, no. Hyperbole risks undermining the seriousness with which such behaviour should be treated.
Yes.

I'd be pretty sure (and his defence lawyer would agree) that he had no intention of killing.

It was clearly feasible to kill the rider with that stunt - if a death had resulted, then I'd support a Manslaughter charge.

So I suspect it's merely assault. (if the rider was unharmed then it can't be ABH or GBH.) You can get quite a stiff sentence for assault, with a tailwind. If you do it with your fist, or a baseball bat, or other items less lethal than a white van ...

/IamNotaLawyer
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #27 on: 06 May, 2017, 01:13:10 pm »

rr

« Reply #28 on: 06 May, 2017, 01:33:58 pm »
Aggressive, dangerous driving, yes. Uncontrolled anger by the van driver that risked serious injury or worse for the cyclist, yes. Behaviour that deserves prosecution and custodial sentencing, yes.

Attempted murder, no. Hyperbole risks undermining the seriousness with which such behaviour should be treated.
Yes.

I'd be pretty sure (and his defence lawyer would agree) that he had no intention of killing.

It was clearly feasible to kill the rider with that stunt - if a death had resulted, then I'd support a Manslaughter charge.

So I suspect it's merely assault. (if the rider was unharmed then it can't be ABH or GBH.) You can get quite a stiff sentence for assault, with a tailwind. If you do it with your fist, or a baseball bat, or other items less lethal than a white van ...

/IamNotaLawyer
I agree, I doubt there was intent to kill, and I am sure there would be no chance of securing a conviction that relied on proving it.

Assault would be an appropriate charge, and can now have consequences for your driving licence. I don't think pure driving offences capture the intent to frighten or injure that was evident here.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #29 on: 06 May, 2017, 02:47:40 pm »
The comments on that post tell me that there are lots of people who should NOThave the privilege of being on the highway.

FTFY (I think!)
Yes  thank you.

I keep missing the word not, but when I read it back it is there in my head.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #30 on: 06 May, 2017, 02:48:48 pm »
I suspect that, if the police do take an interest (this is the Met, remember, who don't have a great track record) then the ever-cautious CPS will probably opt for something like driving without due care and attention.

It can't have done the company's reputation any good though. I wonder if that employee is still an employee.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #31 on: 06 May, 2017, 02:50:57 pm »
If it is the MET fuck all happens.

Redlight

« Reply #32 on: 06 May, 2017, 03:06:10 pm »
The company's MD is not usually so publicity shy - he's a Ferrari-driving compulsive gambler and proud of it

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/1741647.poker_player_gearing_up_for_1m_jackpot/

« Reply #33 on: 06 May, 2017, 03:14:00 pm »
Putting all else aside for one moment, I feel compelled to comment that the guy (I'm assuming it was a guy - it looked like one) on the bike did well to keep it upright whilst crossing a variety of surfaces at very  short (zero) notice.
Not the actions  one might expect from an inexperienced wheel-wobbler.

rr

« Reply #34 on: 06 May, 2017, 03:58:27 pm »
The company's MD is not usually so publicity shy - he's a Ferrari-driving compulsive gambler and proud of it

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/1741647.poker_player_gearing_up_for_1m_jackpot/
You could speculate that the lack of the usual we are investigating/driver suspended type response that someone senior was driving.

« Reply #35 on: 06 May, 2017, 04:33:42 pm »

You could speculate that the lack of the usual we are investigating/driver suspended type response that someone senior was driving.

The link (which has since been disabled) from my original post had a response from Vidette which went along the lines of:
'The driver has been identified and appropriate action has been taken' Or words to that effect.

Redlight

« Reply #36 on: 06 May, 2017, 04:41:00 pm »
The person that posted the original clip has now removed it and asked that the company and its directors not be hounded on social media.  While it's probably too late to get that horse back in the stable, that suggests that whatever outcome he sought has been achieved.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #37 on: 06 May, 2017, 04:44:07 pm »
The BBC can't spell "attacking":-

https://twitter.com/BBCSurrey/status/860765975792291840

( It's just a tweet - personally I'm not too bothered. It's not on the telly, or radio, or printed media. At least they've reported on it, and haven't blamed the cyclist! )

Meanwhile, on that thread the Met confirm that this is a Sussex police matter, and they're on the case
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rr

« Reply #38 on: 06 May, 2017, 05:36:11 pm »

The link (which has since been disabled) from my original post had a response from Vidette which went along the lines of:
'The driver has been identified and appropriate action has been taken' Or words to that effect.
I stand corrected

« Reply #39 on: 06 May, 2017, 05:51:57 pm »
The person that posted the original clip has now removed it and asked that the company and its directors not be hounded on social media.  While it's probably too late to get that horse back in the stable, that suggests that whatever outcome he sought has been achieved.
Indeed.

« Reply #40 on: 06 May, 2017, 07:49:00 pm »
Vidette UK back on Twitter, reporting that the driver has been sacked.

https://twitter.com/videtteukltd

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 06 May, 2017, 08:13:43 pm »
Putting all else aside for one moment, I feel compelled to comment that the guy (I'm assuming it was a guy - it looked like one) on the bike did well to keep it upright whilst crossing a variety of surfaces at very  short (zero) notice.
Not the actions  one might expect from an inexperienced wheel-wobbler.

Indeed. I was amazed by the bike-handling skill of the cyclist. An inexperienced rider might well have had a much less favourable outcome. (I personally have managed to stay upright when a SMIDSY driver hit my left front pannier; dunno how, really!)

« Reply #42 on: 06 May, 2017, 09:35:48 pm »
It's in the Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/van-driver-cyclist-bike-video-helmet-cam-vidette-uk-ltd-a7721216.html

A frightening number of commenters think that:-
1) The cyclist should be prosecuted.
2)  It's OK to attack someone on bike because of what he's just done, or even what someone else on a bike did once.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #43 on: 06 May, 2017, 10:57:37 pm »
Vidette UK back on Twitter, reporting that the driver has been sacked.

https://twitter.com/videtteukltd

That letter is disgusting.  Near miss.

« Reply #44 on: 07 May, 2017, 08:45:26 am »
It's in the Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/van-driver-cyclist-bike-video-helmet-cam-vidette-uk-ltd-a7721216.html

2)  It's OK to attack someone on bike because of what he's just done, or even what someone else on a bike did once.

Unfortunately comments beneath articles are highly suspect these days.  It's all too easy for a small number of individuals to produce a large number of comments with distinct identities all with the same view point.  Thus making their opinion seem widely shared. My approach has always been do not believe what you read in newspapers simply because it is a newspaper and now I simply ignore the comments below articles.  I might post a comment but really I am wasting my time.  Comments are trash these days.

In York there have been sustained and numerous anti-cycling comments and yet as a cyclist I find road users in the city do not reflect those comments in real life.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #45 on: 07 May, 2017, 09:24:29 am »

Unfortunately comments beneath articles are highly suspect these days.  It's all too easy for a small number of individuals to produce a large number of comments with distinct identities all with the same view point.  Thus making their opinion seem widely shared. My approach has always been do not believe what you read in newspapers simply because it is a newspaper and now I simply ignore the comments below articles.  I might post a comment but really I am wasting my time.  Comments are trash these days.

In York there have been sustained and numerous anti-cycling comments and yet as a cyclist I find road users in the city do not reflect those comments in real life.

This reflects my feelings too. As an aside, I rode through York for the first time for a while a couple of weekends ago and was actually really surprised at how careful and considerate drivers were, it was almost to the point of embarassment!!!  It certainly did not match the comments that the York Evening Press website attracts, but I also suspect that these are made by a very few vocal individuals with an axe to grind ( or just trolling!)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #46 on: 07 May, 2017, 10:00:26 am »
The Conner on most sites are a good example of the Fake News syndrome
It is simpler than it looks.

simonp

« Reply #47 on: 09 May, 2017, 10:57:07 am »
Definitely. I know a couple of people who only found out their rear lights had completely failed (not just blown bulbs but total electrical failure of rear lights and brake lights) because the police stopped them and told them. Both were driving Metros, which might just be coincidence...

This is something I'd never seen until I'd moved to the South West and now I've seen it several times.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #48 on: 09 May, 2017, 11:09:42 am »
Must be something in the water. Too much of it in the sky, perhaps?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #49 on: 09 May, 2017, 11:20:16 am »
Chris Froome's super expensive bike got totalled by an impatient driver  :o He's not known for being slow!! Glad he is ok. Driver carried on driving ::-).

https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/861860980430696448

More here with some odd writing skills : http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/chris-froome-rammed-driver-bike-damaged-329461