Author Topic: Carradice Barley vs Carradice Super C Audax?  (Read 11037 times)

Carradice Barley vs Carradice Super C Audax?
« on: 04 May, 2017, 10:35:24 pm »
Hi - I'm thinking of getting either a Carradice Barley or a Carradice Super C Audax saddlebag to use with both my Brompton M6R-X and Hewitt Cheviot SE tourer. Both are racing green (the Hewitt much darker) and both have honey-coloured leather saddles (Brooks B17 on the Brompton, Gilles Berthoud Aspin on the Hewitt).

I can't decide which bag to get, though...

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/carradice-barley-saddlebag-green-with-honey-straps-7-litre/
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/carradice-super-c-audax-saddlebag-black-9-litre/

[I don't know why SJS list one as 7 litre and one as 9, I think they're meant to be the same size!)

They're both basically the same bag, size and shape-wise(?), as far as I can tell, though the Barley has leather straps and metal rings, whereas the Super C Audax has plastic QR buckles and rings and webbing straps. As for other differences, I think the Super C Audax has an interior organiser pocket, whereas the Barley doesn't. I think I also read somewhere that the barley is lined with fabric, whereas the Super C Audax isn't, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

I prefer the classic look of the Barley, especially in green with honey leather straps, but I can see how the QR  buckles on the Super C Audax would be less fiddly to use. On the other hand I like that it would be easy to add additional Carradice Leather straps to the top rings of the Barley to carry a waterproof coat etc., and also the Carradice carrying strap that you can buy as an accessories would work well with it. I don't think Carradice do black webbing straps (for the top rings) and carrying straps for the Super C Audax, though I guess the standard Carradice carrying strap would work, if looking slightly out of place.

Can owners of either or both of these bags help me to decide? Thanks!

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Re: Carradice Barley vs Carradice Super C Audax?
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2017, 10:52:18 pm »
I chose the Super C because of the buckles. Dealing with those on the Barley with cold hands wasn't an attractive prospect.

Perfectly happy so far (I have two!).

« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2017, 11:04:00 pm »
I have a Barley and then picked up a Super C Audax bag on eBay at a very attractive price and near enough to collect .
When I fitted it to my bike ,I found that the lid was very stiff and because of it's shape ,I found it difficult to fit stuff in .
The pockets were no better than the Barley.
The snap fit buckles may swing it for you but didn't do anything for me.
I sold the Audax and kept the Barley and I don't regret my decision.

« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2017, 11:06:28 pm »
I've only got the classic green Barley, but these are I believe the straps with the appropriate Super C aesthetic: http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/accessories/nylon-straps-25mm-140cm-pair
http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/accessories/nylon-straps-25mm-65cm-pair
(Unless you're strapping hay bales or something to the back, the 65 cm is probably ample...)
http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/accessories/shoulder-sling (carrying strap)

Once the leather straps are worn in a bit I don't find them significantly faffier than fastex buckles, but YMMV.

« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2017, 06:13:40 am »
Yeah I worried about the buckles but I can open and close them even in winter gloves without too much faff.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2017, 08:14:53 am »
I've only got the classic green Barley, but these are I believe the straps with the appropriate Super C aesthetic: http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/accessories/nylon-straps-25mm-140cm-pair
http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/accessories/nylon-straps-25mm-65cm-pair
(Unless you're strapping hay bales or something to the back, the 65 cm is probably ample...)
http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/accessories/shoulder-sling (carrying strap)

Once the leather straps are worn in a bit I don't find them significantly faffier than fastex buckles, but YMMV.

Thanks, that's useful to know, I do prefer the look of the classic green Barley, at least on the bikes I have (although would the black one look better with a racing green frame? Decisions, decisions...). In autumn/winter I usually only wear quite thin gloves (Rab Vapour Rise: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rab-vapour-rise-glove-p353371) except when it's really cold, but probably won't be using the saddle bag then anyway.

Would some Brooks Proofide help to soften the straps?

If going for the classic Barley model, what size straps would be best just to secure a waterproof coat and/or over-trousers? The straps seem to come in a multitude of lengths, from 20cm all the way up to 53cm: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/20cm-carradice-leather-saddle-bag-mounting-straps-honey/

« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2017, 08:17:22 am »
I have a Barley and then picked up a Super C Audax bag on eBay at a very attractive price and near enough to collect .
When I fitted it to my bike ,I found that the lid was very stiff and because of it's shape ,I found it difficult to fit stuff in .

Is the Super C Audax actually a different shape from the Barley? It does look quite different in these photos, especially the flap - it looks like on the Barley it would be easier to secure the flap when the bag is not completely full (which it won't always be for me):

Barley:

Super C Audax:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 05 May, 2017, 08:43:33 am »
Curiously, it just occurred to me this morning to put my Barley back on in place of the Super C saddlepack that's on the bike now for tonight's night ride. The saddlepack is nominally the same size as the Barley and the Super C saddlebag but its shape makes it slightly less accessible and you can't strap anything on top; not normally a problem but I thought I might want a softshell jacket and a waterproof for the night ride and more importantly, to take them both off the next day!
http://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddle-packs-sqr-bags/super-c-saddlepack
But the attraction of the Super C saddlepack to me is (partly) the lack of leather straps; not the opening buckles so much but the straps that fix it to the saddle loops/rails. I've found the leather straps just stretch and crack and because the buckles only allow fixed degrees of fastening, you can't get it very tight. Of course, it's easy enough to replace them with toe straps or something similar.

As for the shape, I haven't used the Super C saddlebag (I presume we're actually talking about what Carradice call the Super C Audax saddlebag, as they also make a much bigger one) but I've seen it on other people's bikes and it does look boxier with less rounded corners than the Barley.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:08:49 am »
I chose the Super C because of the buckles. Dealing with those on the Barley with cold hands wasn't an attractive prospect.

Perfectly happy so far (I have two!).
Best of both. Snobs on this forum have already criticised it.  ::-)

« Reply #9 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:37:25 am »
The Barley lid is a single flat flap whereas the Audax lid is tailored to fit over something and may appear to shed rain better.
 But I found that those stitches that make the shape also tend to stiffen the lid .
I rather fancied the more modern look of the Audax bag but having already used the Barley and found it quite functional, I suppose that I was loathe to put up with a less practical bag (IMO) just to have a different and more up to date style.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:41:45 am »
Whichever you get, rather than buying from SJS, it might be cheaper from Spa; Spa don't charge postage on orders over £50 whereas SJS do (I think... best check).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #11 on: 05 May, 2017, 10:09:06 am »
Whichever you get, rather than buying from SJS, it might be cheaper from Spa; Spa don't charge postage on orders over £50 whereas SJS do (I think... best check).

Thanks, I'll check, though I think the Barley is a little cheaper at SJS and there are some other bits and bobs I want to pick up from them.

« Reply #12 on: 05 May, 2017, 10:30:24 am »
I've had the Barley for years. It's great and there's very little I would change. I use a Bagman Sport to stop the bag sagging and to keep it a bit more stable and I've lined it with a cut-off piece of foam yoga mat to also stiffen it a little bit.

The straps harden over time, but this actually makes them easier to handle with gloves. I've never had a problem with them, even with winter gloves on.
Because the flap is flat, you can stuff things under the lid quickly if you want to and the "skirt" at the mouth of the bag stops them falling out. You can also strap the bag shut over a jacket, or use the rings on top to strap stuff to the lid (I use toestraps).

The older models turn a bit grey over time (the picture from DME shows this), but the straps are a better colour match to a honey-coloured Brooks. The newer models are using a more fade-resistant cotton which stays green forever (my newer Nelson looks identical to its purchased colour), but the straps are a little "yellow" for my taste. They stay a bit more supple over time as well, so something has changed in the tanning process.

Overall I really like the Barley. It looks great and stays looking great.

« Reply #13 on: 05 May, 2017, 11:32:30 am »

The older models turn a bit grey over time (the picture from DME De Sisti shows this),
;)

« Reply #14 on: 05 May, 2017, 11:58:20 am »
BTW is the inside of the Barley lined with fabric at all?

Also, any recommendations for strap length to go on top for securing a raincoat/fleece etc. (see my post above)? Thanks

« Reply #15 on: 05 May, 2017, 01:59:23 pm »
The Barley is not lined with any material, it is a single layer of cotton duck .
There is a woven polyester or nylon rain gusset which has the drawcord through the top edge to close it up.
I use two standard  toe clip/pedal  straps with ratchet buckles to secure a rolled up jacket.They are 35 cms / 18" long.

« Reply #16 on: 05 May, 2017, 02:01:38 pm »
The Barley is not lined with any material, it is a single layer of cotton duck .
There is a woven polyester or nylon rain gusset which has the drawcord through the top edge to close it up.
I use two standard  toe clip/pedal  straps with ratchet buckles to secure a rolled up jacket.They are 35 cms / 18" long.

Thanks - Is it possible to get leather straps with ratchet buckles (which sound like a good idea) in the same honey colour as the Carradice straps? If so, from where?

« Reply #17 on: 05 May, 2017, 03:47:06 pm »

Thanks - Is it possible to get leather straps with ratchet buckles (which sound like a good idea) in the same honey colour as the Carradice straps? If so, from where?

These maybe? http://www.zefal.com/en/other-accessories/213-christophe-leather-toe-straps.html

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #18 on: 05 May, 2017, 04:02:38 pm »
I have traditional Barleys and a huge Super C (bought for PBP).

There's no way I could deal with metal buckles on day 3 & 4 of PBP, the clip-lock plastic ones were a godsend.

However there's absolutely no issue with metal buckles at any other time, and they are better suited to cramming stuff in.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #19 on: 05 May, 2017, 04:04:14 pm »
The lid of my barley is lined with a waterproof fabric in a tartan check; I assume it's PU coated something to make it doubly waterproof.

For strapping a jacket I/trousers, I wouldn't have thought you'd need more than 30 cm or so; I bought the longer straps and there's loads of excess.

« Reply #20 on: 05 May, 2017, 04:22:07 pm »
I have both types and tbh I like the convenience of the Super C buckles over the Barley's metal buckles.  The latter have got easier over time but when it's cold/wet/dark not easy enough.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #21 on: 05 May, 2017, 04:51:33 pm »
I have traditional Barleys and a huge Super C (bought for PBP).

There's no way I could deal with metal buckles on day 3 & 4 of PBP, the clip-lock plastic ones were a godsend.

However there's absolutely no issue with metal buckles at any other time, and they are better suited to cramming stuff in.

I'm not crazy enough (yet) to attempt PBP (or multi-day touring in winter)...

« Reply #22 on: 05 May, 2017, 07:50:28 pm »
BTW I'm thinking of doing this Brompton S-Frame hack so that I can use the Barley on the front load carrier of my Brompton when I only want to use just the Barley. When using my large T-Bag pannier on the front can just remove the Barley from the frame and use it as a normal saddlebag (will also use it with my Hewitt Cheviot touring bike the normal way):

Easy to take the bag on and off the bike too!

« Reply #23 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:10:56 pm »
I went for a Super C Audax in 2014, together with the Classic rack for Brooks saddle attachment.  One particular ride was in torrential rain at times - interior of bag was bone dry.  Plastic clips are great in cold/with gloves on.    see pics on the page:  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=80666.msg1653136#msg1653136

However just recently I've gone back to the Ortlieb (classic) large saddle pack (with everything placed in a single removeable inner bag) - attached to brooks saddle with toe clip straps, for weight reasons.

(click to show/hide)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #24 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:15:53 pm »
I went for a Super C Audax in 2014, together with the Classic rack for Brooks saddle attachment.  One particular ride was in torrential rain at times - interior of bag was bone dry.  Plastic clips are great in cold/with gloves on.    see pics on the page:  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=80666.msg1653136#msg1653136

However just recently I've gone back to the Ortlieb (classic) large saddle pack (with everything placed in a single removeable inner bag) - attached to brooks saddle with toe clip straps, for weight reasons.

(click to show/hide)
On my Hewitt Tourer I have a normal rack, so no room (possibly no need?) for a Bag Man... Possibly for my Brompton when touring on it, though.

The Ortlieb bag looks useful and functional, but I like the classic aesthetics of the Barley (and Super C Audax, though less so)