Linked Events

• Long Itch on Tour - Silverdale: 22 September, 2017 - 24 September, 2017

Author Topic: WING camping weekend - Apollo's new bike.  (Read 23877 times)

WING camping weekend - Apollo's new bike.
« on: 07 May, 2017, 09:48:22 pm »
The outline plan is to decamp to Gibraltar Farm campsite, Silverdale instead of a Long Itch weekend.   I need to gauge serious interest if we are to book the group field which I think would be sensible given that the site is popular with families at weekends.

As you will be able to see from their website, it is not cheap but the facilities are excellent and there is lots to do and see locally.   

The charging is a bit oddball so I propose that if we do go then the total cost of the camping is shared equally on a per person per night basis, littlies go free.   I can deal with this with your cooperation.   

We'll likely plan a ride of moderate distance and lumpiness with at least one refreshment stop if folk wish otherwise you could simply do as you please exploring somewhere which will be new to many of you.

Registration of provisional interest and offers of cooking and / or entertainment will be most appreciated.   

Oh bugger!  I've got a long weekend in That London with 2 concerts booked that weekend :-(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Pencilled (well, caldaved) in.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Not us this time  :(
Got 2 weekends camping at the beginning of the month and the week after we are over the other side of the hills in Sheriff Hutton with the ALC.
Only so much money and holidays to spread about thinly!

Rich

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Morecambe Bay?  T'fuck.  That's a bit far for me us.  We'll see.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Provisionally registering a possibility of potential interest.

I see they charge an extra £3 a night for "tent awnings and extensions". I'm guessing that's aimed at big tents, whose awnings can be larger than a small cyclist-portable tent, but do you think they'll apply it to tarps too?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

I will be talking to them about the charging in the group field if enough people register interest.  I am expecting that tarps on lightweight tents will not be charged for though. 

I am concerned as to whether the Melbourne's caravan will be permitted into the group field as everything I read implies that it is tents only.   

clarion

• Tyke
I think it's a given that, unless we are committed to camping elsewhere, we will be camping in Silverdale. :)
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
It looks very much as though I won't be there.

http://yarndale.co.uk/ refers.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Possibly, subject to ancient parent minding.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
As a destination it is moderately achievable for us (although it'd be 9ish before we could get there on the Friday I reckon) and the EldestCub wasn't horrified at the idea of spending his birthday in a tent somewhere so currently, subject to the vagaries of calendaring, we're a tentative probably.

Julian

• samoture
We're in :)

Crinkles, depending upon attendees, I expect that somebody with a vehicle could be persuaded to collect you from the station - perhaps even from Lancaster if that would help.

Long way off yet though.

Everybody:   could you please let me know what size of tent or tents in terms of occupancy that you have please.   

Thanks.

Clare

• Is in NZ
I'm a definte 'no'. Start of the academic year so no way I can get the time off.

Sadly I can't get o Yarndale either. I hope Mrs Wow enjoys it.

That sounds really nice and it is a cycleable distance from York, too!

No idea what I'll be doing, job-wise, by September, but I'm interested. Would be a one-man pup tent person and arriving by bike. Count me as a tent-ative
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Everybody:   could you please let me know what size of tent or tents in terms of occupancy that you have please.   

Either me inna small tent with a bicycle, or me + barakta inna huge tent with a car, or possibly neither of us.  Depending on logistics pertaining to barakta's job situation, which can't be predicted that far off.

(I appreciate that's completely unhelpful.  Suffice to say, if we are going to be doing bikey campingy things that weekend, Silverdale is where it'll be.)

clarion

• Tyke
Same as at Long Itch, I imagine.
Getting there...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Self plus three bed semiVango medium-ish tent about the size of PB's. Plus car.

Do we need to tell them about the portable brasseriegazebo?

What was the situation WRT picnic benches? Or do I need a banquetting table, too?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
I'm  definitely a possible. It's exactly the right time and place for me on my way  to the Wigtown Book Festival.

Small tent and bike.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
If I'm there, I'll be me in a small tent with one bike.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Self plus three bed semiVango medium-ish tent about the size of PB's. Plus car.

Do we need to tell them about the portable brasseriegazebo?

What was the situation WRT picnic benches? Or do I need a banquetting table, too?

John's Midnight Kebab Van methinks ...

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Crinkles, I expect that somebody with a vehicle could be persuaded to collect you from the station - perhaps even from Lancaster if that would help.

Long way off yet though.

Volunteers for that, no worries.

I'll be there, by cycle unless a car is needed, in the same tent as Long Itch'.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Arghh photobucket pics all gone!!

Now trying Flickr

The smallish group field at Silverdale is tucked away in the trees  like this:
Silverdale

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
The post purported to be from Jamie & Jimmy got me thinking about Saturday night food.

The veggie paella is tried and tested but I'm getting a hankering for a veggie curry. A gert big bukkit. Just for a bit of variety.

Thoughts?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Fine by me.   Or a veg chilli.

Separate bucket of rice?