Author Topic: Randonneuring in India?  (Read 3577 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Randonneuring in India?
« on: 09 May, 2017, 10:20:47 pm »
I'll be working in Mumbai for the last half of the month and it turns out that Pune Randonneurs is running an overnight 200 on Saturday 20 May. The lower temperatures and reduced traffic are both pluses in my eyes. I'm hunting a suitable hire bike in Pune and working out how to get between Mumbai and Pune but I don't think there will be too many problems on that front. I just need to bring clothes, pedals, lights, reflective vest and helmet.

I've never ridden in India before but have heard a few stories from friends who've cycletoured through there. What are the traps for unwary players? Advice from local randonneurs would be especially appreciated.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: Randonneuring in India?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2017, 12:15:36 am »
Elephants.

Don't run them over.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2017, 06:54:13 am »
I thought that the reverse situation would be more of a problem.

« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2017, 06:58:13 am »
 ;D

« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2017, 07:50:49 am »
I thought that the reverse situation would be more of a problem.

I think you're safe there.

In India it's illegal for elephants to ride bikes.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2017, 08:36:12 am »
shouldn't  be a problem, elephants only use the trunk roads

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2017, 08:59:07 am »
Never saw an elephant on the roads in three years in India. Saw camels, being ridden or led. You might see elephants walking along roads in rural areas where they're used for forestry or from temple to temple and apparently many are killed by careless drivers; despite their size, their colour means they blend into the road background. You're most likely to see them early in the morning, I think, if at all.

Cows, obviously, have priority over everything and know it. Mosquitoes. And drivers, of course. The ones with lights and the ones without. There will probably be drunks, in cars and lorries and on foot. Road surfaces likely to vary from billiard table to moon surface.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 10 May, 2017, 02:41:26 pm »
The route looks interesting, one lap up and down the same road for less than 201km.
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1560464056

« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2017, 03:01:31 pm »
I think there are a few folk from Mumbai on the AUK FB group.  HK could look for you.

JJ

« Reply #9 on: 10 May, 2017, 05:14:09 pm »
You could try to contact Divya Tate.

http://www.inspire-india.in/
 http://randonneuringinindia.blogspot.in/

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 10 May, 2017, 05:25:30 pm »
The route looks interesting, one lap up and down the same road for less than 201km.
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1560464056

Heads north before returning back to start then out and back on second bit to the south.

Phil W

« Reply #11 on: 10 May, 2017, 05:32:48 pm »
Here's a view of the road you'll be on, it's a national highway and good surface.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Highway_48_(India)#/media/File%3ANH_48_.jpg

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 10 May, 2017, 10:29:45 pm »
shouldn't  be a problem, elephants only use the trunk roads

Badoom and indeed tish.

« Reply #13 on: 11 May, 2017, 05:21:11 am »
I think MileCruncher OTP is from India and might have some words of wisdom, though he seems to pay more attention to the LEL board.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 22 May, 2017, 05:43:05 am »
The Knight Riders 200 from Pune is done and dusted. A great bunch of people with lots of newbies in sneakers tackling their first night brevet, often on lower-end bike with kickstands. All credit to the finishers.

Apart from some stonking climbs (which gave wonderful views), most of the route was not particularly exciting. Because minor roads are often in very poor condition, Audax India Randonneurs tend to route their brevets down major highways. This routing also gives plenty of opportunities for riders to pick up food and water overnight. Apart from the start and finish, the only controls were at the turns, so 100km between controls at night.

What is it like riding your bicycle on an Indian highway at night? Think riding the A14 but with zero lane discipline, many vehicles having non-functional lighting and horns sounding every 30 seconds, on average. Trucks usually sit in the middle or outside lane, so the inside lane or hardshoulder is often used for overtaking, also occupied by swarms of motor scooters and motorbikes. That can get uncomfortable at times, as that is where you are riding. Drivers are less aggressive to cyclists than in the UK but quite relaxed about proximity to each other, pedestrians and cyclists. I was less on edge by the end of the brevet than at the start but still elected to walk a section of highway near the top of a pass where a single lane of asphalt had trucks overtaking each other round bends with less than touching distance to each other, the guardrail on the right and the gravel on the left. The local riders just laughed about truck drivers following on their back wheels and hitting the horn.

I'll edit this, before my randonnesia (randonneur's amnesia) kicks in too hard.

Saturday morning, I was picked up by my prebooked taxi for the 150-ish km from Navi Mumbai to Pune. Yes, I could have taken the train or bus but frankly I didn't want the extra effort needed to buy tickets and the extra hassle required to get around both cities. The drive to the start didn't ease my anxiety about Indian driving standards, particulalry since I'd managed to put myself in hospital that last time I'd ridden in a foreign country. It was easier to bury myself in a book to avoid my imagination, though a stoking climb out of Mumbai resulted in some wonderful views. Once we eventually found the right address in Pune, I arranged to meet my driver the following morning at the same bike shop. It wasn't till he'd left that I realised that I had no way of contacting him if he didn't turn up, or vice versa. Oh well, it'd all work out somehow.

I'd emailed the Track and Trail Surendar Cycles shop in Pune for a hire bicycle and they were confident that they had something to fit my 180+cm height. In the Netherlands, I am no more than average height but in India, I tower over the locals and most of the available bicycles are sized to suit. A glance through the half dozen bikes and a well-worn hybrid with an eclectic mix of components and decent tyres caught my eye. This one would do just fine. I borrowed some tools for a couple of hours, checked that nothing was going to come loose, trued the wheels, fitted my GPS and lights and put pump, tube, etc. in my back pocket.
http://www.surendarcyclestores.com/

My first venture onto Indian roads wasn't as bad as it had looked from the roadside, though still chaotic. Everything was travelling in different directions at different speeds but the honking was more along the lines of 'Here I am and I want to pass' than 'Get out of my way or die'. There were pedestrians, bicycles, motor scooters (with up to five aboard), motorcycles, auto-rickshaws (tuk-tuks in other countries!), cars, vans, trucks, cattle and camels(!) to watch out for.

MORE TO COME

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 22 May, 2017, 05:46:02 am »
You could try to contact Divya Tate.

http://www.inspire-india.in/
 http://randonneuringinindia.blogspot.in/

I think Divya was at the start, assisting with organisation. An impressive lady.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2017, 07:43:48 am »
Excellent! Looking forward to photos if there are any. But it was night so maybe not.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:08:12 pm »
Yes, dark most of the way round. I rarely do the photo thing and this time nothing from my end. Many others seemed quite keen on happy snaps, so I'll ask around. Most of the local randonneurs do the Facebook thing, so out of bounds for me.

« Reply #18 on: 24 May, 2017, 02:16:55 pm »
Haha, looks like I missed my chance to chime in.

Was basically going to say that it would be exactly what you said it was like.

You're braver than I.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 24 May, 2017, 03:16:39 pm »
A couple of friends rode an Indian 1200 a couple of years ago. They said the traffic put them on edge the first day and that they became fairly relaxed about it by the fourth day.

« Reply #20 on: 30 May, 2017, 09:09:08 pm »
I was down to ride a 200 that Divya was organising in Goa early last year. A combination of food poisoning and a Goan heatwave stopped me from starting, but to be honest I was rather glad, having witnessed the traffic on dual carriageways. Indian driving habits are quite cute when they are expressed at 15mph in large cities. On the open road at 60mph they are truly terrifying.