Author Topic: When was the last time....  (Read 5966 times)

When was the last time....
« on: 12 May, 2017, 01:23:05 pm »
.... you had a £50 note?

I'm curious, because I reckon I haven't seen one since about 1995. Do they even still exist? I used to get paid by a bloke I used to work for with a few pealed off 50s and it was always a pain in the arse trying to spend them (for fear of forgery) even 20+ years ago.

Has anyone had any more recently?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: When was the last time....
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2017, 01:30:29 pm »
I saw one at Christmas!
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2017, 01:31:43 pm »
I don't think I've ever had one.  Even if you take hundreds out of the bank in one go, they give you £20s.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2017, 01:33:20 pm »
I believe they are still popular with builders.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2017, 01:49:57 pm »
I very occasionally get them when I get paid in cash for a gig.
But these days most gigs seem to assume you'll be happy with a bank transfer (which I am).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2017, 02:39:07 pm »
A very long time ago and very, very rarely.

In Poland the 200 zloty note (about £40) is reasonably common and there's also a 500 that's not common but not as rare as the £50.
In India we used to use 1000 rupee notes commonly – they go a long way but actually in exchange they're only about £12. But recently they took all 1000s and 500s out of circulation as some sort of anti-fraud measure. I think there might theoretically be 2000s as well but they're the equivalent of £50s in rarity.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2017, 02:48:52 pm »
I had a similar thought yesterday when I got 100 euros out of an ATM in Munich and got 2x50 euro notes.  I guess it's worth about the same... :(

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2017, 02:52:21 pm »
Received one yesterday; banked it today.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2017, 02:53:15 pm »
As recently as last year, or was it 2015?   We used some to pay a builder.   He was fine with them and was going to pay his materials supplier with them.

I once saw a £100 note in Scotland.   A rare event.   We don't have them down here.   

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2017, 03:10:27 pm »
I very occasionally get them when I get paid in cash for a gig.
It's the only time I see them too.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #10 on: 12 May, 2017, 03:22:32 pm »
My old boss used to pay overtime in £50 notes, and I'm not sure I've had one since.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

ian

« Reply #11 on: 12 May, 2017, 03:26:23 pm »
I have two in my kitchen drawer – my emergency fund in case zombie apocalypse stops me getting to the ATM or if I forget money for an airport taxi (because they don't all take cards).

I presume they accept them unlike $100 bills which are only useful as very expensive paper planes.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12 on: 12 May, 2017, 03:36:04 pm »
I have one knocking about in a drawer. I think it may now be unspendable as I think it's one of the older ones
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13 on: 12 May, 2017, 03:49:48 pm »
Never seen one.  I had a 50€ note the other day but my daughter snaffled it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

red marley

« Reply #14 on: 12 May, 2017, 03:54:31 pm »
Government and Bank of England don't like them for obvious reasons (informal economy). Not only are there fewer of them than the lower denominations, but they tend not to circulate because (a) those who do have them are more likely to be under-the-matress hoarders; (b) when spent in shops, unlike other denominations, they're never recirculated as change so go straight back to the bank.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #15 on: 12 May, 2017, 04:03:08 pm »
I had a similar thought yesterday when I got 100 euros out of an ATM in Munich and got 2x50 euro notes.  I guess it's worth about the same... :(
50 Euro notes are really common here and I also regularly get 100 Euro notes from the cash point. The problem with those if is you have an unlucky gust of wind you've lost £90 which is a bit rough!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 12 May, 2017, 04:08:50 pm »
50 Euro notes are really common here and I also regularly get 100 Euro notes from the cash point. The problem with those if is you have an unlucky gust of wind you've lost £90 which is a bit rough!
I remember an occasion when a gust of wind blew a £10 note out of my hand when I was in a phone box, back in the days when people used phone boxes for making calls rather than secondhand books (about 1994). Not only was I in a phone box, there was one of those anti-personnel barriers between pavement and road, where the note had blown. I never realised I was so nimble!

As for common E50s, isn't Germany renowned as a more cash-oriented society than most of Europe?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #17 on: 12 May, 2017, 04:21:24 pm »
As for common E50s, isn't Germany renowned as a more cash-oriented society than most of Europe?
Yes, most people use cash here, although debit cards are beginning to take hold...

Still no cash back anywhere near me though, and you have to find the right chain of banks to get your cash out, you can't just use any ATM.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #18 on: 12 May, 2017, 05:11:56 pm »
Isn't there a 500 Euro note? Used only by gangsters I presume.

When I lived in Oz I'd occasionally raid my UK bank account and the ATM would spit out $100 notes. At the time, nobody seemed to care - you could go and buy a Schooey of New for 2 bucks and pay with a hundred and they'd just count out the change....

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #19 on: 12 May, 2017, 05:15:21 pm »
There is not only a 500 Euro note, there is also a 1000 Euro note, and I have had a couple of them. I took them straight to a bank to change.

« Reply #20 on: 12 May, 2017, 05:21:53 pm »
There is not only a 500 Euro note, there is also a 1000 Euro note, and I have had a couple of them. I took them straight to a bank to change.

Are you dealing drugs on the side  :P

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #21 on: 12 May, 2017, 05:30:39 pm »

Are you dealing drugs on the side  :P
well no, but actually it was a bit odd.

Dad has a friend who buys and sells boats (of the expensive yachting kind) and a Norwegian guy bought a boat for 100,000 EUR cash. Dad's friend asked if anyone wanted to change some pounds into Euros at mates rates before he banked the Euros and paid a stiff conversion fee with the bank. So I said I'd have 2000 Euros. I was rather surprised to just get two notes.

The thought did cross my mind that maybe it wasn't 100% kosher so I got the money changed into smaller denominations asap

red marley

« Reply #22 on: 12 May, 2017, 05:32:47 pm »
From a year ago: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36208146 - €500s will be around until 2018. No mention there of €1000s though.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23 on: 12 May, 2017, 05:35:22 pm »
Proof, if proof were needed, that the world's most important financial institutions keep an eye on YACF.  :D

« Reply #24 on: 12 May, 2017, 06:14:51 pm »
I sometimes get Fifties out to give as birthday presents—it's more of a novelty than a bank transfer. Other than that, never.

In contrast, I didn't even think of it when I changed some cash with a FOAF and was given €50 notes. Neither did they bat an eyelid when I spent them in a bar in Serbia (not even in the Eurozone).
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.