Author Topic: Android 6 onwards - the adopting a microSD card thing & USB-PC transfer  (Read 1744 times)

So after 3.5yrs of my £60 Huawei (running Jelly Bean), I've bought a new Moto mobile, but gather that one cannot now simply move apps to the mSD card, because the card needs 'adopting' as internal phoen memory first...  AFAICS this means that the whole card gets encrypted and so the files become non-readable on a PC via USB.   OsmAnd maps take up a large amount of space, and I could adopt the msd card so that they go on there rather than the phone's internal memory, but then how does one can't transfer off images/photos/video off the msd card via USB to PC, if everthing on  the card is encrypted...   ???  How would people remove photos etc from such a phone?

ps.  I haven't 'adopted' the mSD card yet...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
When you connect a modern Android to a PC by USB it becomes a MTP device (rather than doing USB storage).  Effectively, the device's operating system has a "Hello computer, I'm a digital-camera-like-thing, and I've got these files...  Oh, you want that one, sure, here it comes... What would you like me to do next?  Write some files to the ringtones directory?  Sure, send them over."  sort of conversation, rather than blindly relinquishing control of the SD card itself to the host PC.  Encryption (and the ext filesystem) is handled by the Android OS at a lower level in the usual way, so the PC doesn't have to care about it.

It's fine for things like transferring photos, and has the overwhelming advantage that Android maintains access to the contents of the card during the process (vital if the card is adopted into the main filesystem).

There's usually an alternative to adopting the card, which allows you to keep it with a FAT32 filesystem for storing media.  Then you can pull it out and stick it in a card reader in the normal way.  The disadvantage is that a) Android will only then let you use it for storing files which won't break anything if they disappear, rather than allowing you to move apps to it.  and  b) There's necessarily a new security hoop to jump through to allow apps permission to read/write an un-adopted SDcard, which some older apps don't support.

It's all perfectly reasonable, but backwards compatibility has turned it into a bit of a mess, in the classic Microsoft style.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
I have a Moto g4 plus and my OsmAnd maps (pretty much all of Europe and bits of S America and Africa) are all on the SD card, without 'adopting' it. I tried to to 'adopt' it when I first had it but it wouldn't work with a 128Gb card so I gave up. There's somewhere in OsmAnd where you can specify the maps' location. Same with OruxMaps.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I have a Moto g4 plus and my OsmAnd maps are all on the SD card, without 'adopting' it.

+1

Most mapping apps will let you do this, it's an obviously desirable feature.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Can't you opt to format the card as "Portable Storage" in the phone, or is that just a Sony thing?  With mine like I that I can manually move some of some apps to the card.  Annoyingly, it needs redoing after every app update.  I have OSM and Google offline maps on there as well.

Other (slow) ways of transfering files to PC include:
1.  WiFi via a file manager app that supports networks.
2.  Bluetooth.
3.  Upload to Google Drive/Google Photos/whatevs then download from PC.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Thanks all.

I have a Moto g4 plus and my OsmAnd maps (pretty much all of Europe and bits of S America and Africa) are all on the SD card, without 'adopting' it. I tried to to 'adopt' it when I first had it but it wouldn't work with a 128Gb card so I gave up. There's somewhere in OsmAnd where you can specify the maps' location. Same with OruxMaps.

Cheers - I had installed the OsmAnd, and making the mistake of leaving the default "External storage" option for the ~1Gb England + base map, thinking 'external' meant mSD card, which it doesn't apparently.  I've now deleted* it from phone memory and re-downloading to the 32Gb card.    *hopefully it's deleted when one removes the OsmAnd app.

Biggsy, the options on the mSD are "Format", "Format as internal", and "Move media".  I guess format is for a new card as usual i.e. portable, and f as int is 'adopting'.  Not sure about move media - moving internal things to the card?

Hum.  OsmAnd still ending up on the phone internal memory - could it be because I haven't reformatted the mSD card (as portable/removeable) - but just took it out of old phone and started using?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Try the normal format.  You should then be able to move some apps to the card, including OSMAnd  (I'm talking about app program files here rather than app data, which is a different matter).

Do it for each app that you choose (only worthwhile for big ones) via Settings - Apps - Storage - Change.  This option will only be available if the particular app allows it.  The app's widgets won't work if moved to SD, mind.  Some of the app may actually remain on internal memory.

An app called AppMgr III is handy for automatically alerting that a freshly installed/updated app can be moved, and it can take you to the settings.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
The OsmAnd app doesn't have to be on the SD card for its map files to be on the SD card.  In OsmAnd see the "Data storage folder" option and tap the pen icon.  "External storage 2" in mine means the SD.  Might be different for your phone.  Experiment.

Actually I use OsmAnd+.  I assume the free version has the same storage settings.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
I must confess I've not had a problem at all.  Sony Xperia Z5 running 7.0, using Osmand+.  I've made no conscious effort with it, other than telling it where to store the stuff.
Wombat

All good now.  Backed-up mSD card, then re-formatted it (as usual/portable), and selected the card (External 2) for OsmAnd storage.  Copied music back on via USB, and discovered VLC is a good media app these days.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Oh, I was unaware that there was VLC for Android, but if I cared to apply my tiny brain, I'd recall that my Android TV runs VLC  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Luckily I don't seem to need it, as my Sony is well provided with media stuff, that being the sort of thing Sony like to get its grubby paws into.
Wombat