Author Topic: pots and pans for one?  (Read 5733 times)

pots and pans for one?
« on: 22 May, 2017, 02:33:45 pm »
I simply can't find the camping pots and pans (which belong to MrsC anyway). They are a bit bulky for one, anyway - being a multi-litre set.

Could do with something suitable for one, for weekend trips (yeah, I dream of getting away for the occasional overnight camp). I guess a single pan with a lid, would do.

Not after anything fancy, so what works? Just want to be able to boils water to cook up some noodles, stew, rice maybe or porridge. I don't drink coffee not much use for a kettle anymore.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: pots and pans for one?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2017, 03:01:43 pm »
I'd recommend a Trangia 27.   Cooker and pans in one.   You can even decide to leave one pot at home if you don't want to carry both.   Meths fuel bottle mounted on the underside of the main tube.

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2017, 03:04:25 pm »
Large Ti mug with a lid - Alpkit make a 650ml one that's about £30. :thumbsup:  If you use gas then a small burner and 100g cartridge will fit inside.

« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2017, 03:06:35 pm »
A full trangia setup is too much bulk. ChrisN's suggestion is more along the lines I'm after.
I'll probably make another home-made meths burner. My last one weighed about 15gm.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2017, 03:17:12 pm »
I second both Polar Bear and chris n:

Trangia 27 for real cooking (I don't use a kettle and I leave one of the handles at home).  MyTiMug with a 100g cartridge and a little screw-on burner if I just want to do Supernoodles or similar.

« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2017, 03:46:32 pm »
If you are thinking along the lines of a home made meths burner, why not try an Alpkit Bruler instead?

Having said this, once you've put it in a pot for transportation you might as well have a Trangia 27 imo.

The 27 is smaller than the 25 - check them out instore before passing final judgement. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2017, 03:56:34 pm »
If you are thinking along the lines of a home made meths burner, why not try an Alpkit Bruler instead?

Having said this, once you've put it in a pot for transportation you might as well have a Trangia 27 imo.

That was my thought when they introduced that one.  I'm sure it works well enough, but it lacks the stability and efficiency of the 27, the lightweight minimalism of the Triangle and the simplicity of a basic gas burner.

« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:01:19 pm »
You are right - the 27 is a small package, I'd never looked at them. That's probably about right.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:02:41 pm »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Sports-Outdoors/Primus-P-731722-Litech-Trek-Kettle-2015/B000KBH2CS

Ive got one of these for single lightweight camping use, it works quite well for boiling water, noodles pasta etc and you can just about fry an egg in the lid for breakfast

ETA - it's been made kind of redundant since Mrs trekker and I usually don't camp alone and we have bought a Trangia 27 for our main camp cooker
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:09:50 pm »
You are right - the 27 is a small package, I'd never looked at them. That's probably about right.

It's not particularly lightweight, but it certainly packs down very efficiently. (Top tip: there's enough room to cram a firesteel[1], some folding cutlery, and a ziplock bag with a small bottle of washing up liquid and a sponge in the middle along with the burner[2] and handle.  The sponge should stop the rest from rattling too much.)

[1] Easiest way to light a meths burner at sensible temperatures.
[2] The burner should also live in a ziplock bag, to stop the pans being contaminated with bittrex.

« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:17:45 pm »

It's not particularly lightweight, but it certainly packs down very efficiently. (Top tip: there's enough room to cram a firesteel[1], some folding cutlery, and a ziplock bag with a small bottle of washing up liquid and a sponge in the middle along with the burner[2] and handle.  The sponge should stop the rest from rattling too much.)

[1] Easiest way to light a meths burner at sensible temperatures.
[2] The burner should also live in a ziplock bag, to stop the pans being contaminated with bittrex.

Spot on.

« Reply #11 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:19:25 pm »
I used to own a trangia knock-off. I kept the burner in the pans and everything tasted of bittrex. Where is that facepalm emoji?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:33:43 pm »
Our ziplok bag went missing mid tour recently.   Suddenly our food tasted nasty, very very nasty.

mllePB blamed the instant coffee that we were lugging but I knew that it was the burner in the pan.   I simply started using the bigger pan only and not cooking with the smaller pan which alleviated the issue until a replacement burner bag was found.
  Takes quite a while for the effect to wear off.   

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:41:53 pm »
Always carry a couple of spare ziplock bags on tour.  Handy for all sorts of things.

« Reply #14 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:43:05 pm »
If you are using non-coated aluminium, I'm not sure it *ever* wears off.

I might try making a new burner tonight. Really fancy trying to make one that works off lamp oil . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:44:14 pm »

I wonder if heating the pan dry would work?  There doesn't seem to be a taste when you handle things that have had meths spilt on them and then burnt off.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2017, 05:22:54 pm »
For cooking dinner, I prefer the Alpkit 900ml pot. I like to have plenty of carbs - 2 packets of Supernoodles or porridge etc.
You can fit a 250g gas cylinder in the pot. Works nicely on my MSR Pocket Rocket.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 27 May, 2017, 02:33:12 am »
I simply can't find the camping pots and pans (which belong to MrsC anyway). They are a bit bulky for one, anyway - being a multi-litre set.

Could do with something suitable for one, for weekend trips (yeah, I dream of getting away for the occasional overnight camp). I guess a single pan with a lid, would do.

Not after anything fancy, so what works? Just want to be able to boils water to cook up some noodles, stew, rice maybe or porridge. I don't drink coffee not much use for a kettle anymore.

Alpkit ali pots set, it's a 2 pan set, leave the big pan at home. This get's you an approx 1 litre HAA pan with a lid that can double as a frying pan if you need.

Alternatively I am a fan of the Tatonka billy cans, I even managed to bake a loaf of bread over an open fire with a set. Sure they are heavy, but over a fire, they are wonderful.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #18 on: 27 May, 2017, 06:12:43 am »
Not really a master chef, me, so a single cheapish saucepan plus kettle(essential).  Also a fan of the pocket rocket but must have a windshield.

A lot of useful food doesn't have to be cooked anyway.  In France you can get fresh bread every day and a huge range of cheese.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #19 on: 23 June, 2017, 05:26:01 pm »
This works reasonably well: http://www.home.helpmeshop.org/product/Non-Stick-Mess-Kit.html
It's large enough to contain all of your ingredients in ziplock bags and packs down to a shape that is easy to pack.
You have to stir food a lot as the heating is a bit uneven, but overall I quite like using is to cook with.

I also have an MSR stainless cookset which nests beautifully, but isn't particularly light.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #20 on: 27 June, 2017, 11:15:01 pm »
Can't remember where I got it but there's a Titanium meths burner called the Vargo Triad. you'd need windshield and pots but it weighs Nothing and works well.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #21 on: 28 June, 2017, 12:34:09 am »

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #23 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:45:36 pm »

I wonder if heating the pan dry would work?  There doesn't seem to be a taste when you handle things that have had meths spilt on them and then burnt off.

I think the Trangia website mentions somewhere that the burner should be empty (ie presumably burned out) if carried in stove: which might support that theory a bit,

Re pans: Tatonka make a graduated 25ish size stainless 1.4L pan (160g) sold separately as well as as the inner of their steel Trangia clone. I have one.

EDIT The small 1.4L tatonka 'trangia-ish' pan nests in the outer  25 pan OK but not the inner, it also fits on the 25 pan supports OK: so duossall is dead long live thin stainless :)