Author Topic: Audaxes from Maidenhead  (Read 3721 times)

Audaxes from Maidenhead
« on: 15 June, 2017, 12:11:49 am »
Willesden CC are running three Audaxes on Sunday 2nd July 2017 all starting from
Riverside Gardens, Maidenhead

1 Jack Eason Struggle, 200K, 08:00 calling at Dorking, Leith Hill, Petworth, Black Down and Alton

2 Boulter's Bash, 100K, 09:30 which is flat to Theale, then hilly to Pangbourne, through the Chilterns and Marlow

3 Locked and Boulted, 50K, 10:00 Hambleden Lock, Fingest and Marlow

The Boulter's Bash pitstop has been moved to Theale this year as Pangbourne prices were getting silly.

All events will have entry on the line with a discount for online entry unless the event limits are reached.

For more info go to https://tinyurl.com/3-audaxes

Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Audaxes from Maidenhead
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2017, 10:21:24 am »
HK and I are in. We'd both ridden with Jack years ago and the 200 will be a nice change from the 600 UAF the weekend before and the 1000 UAF the following week.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2017, 09:18:17 pm »
The Jack Eason Struggle 200K has had a spurt in riders this week and though I am offering entry on the line, it is only up to the point where all the Brevet Cards are used, so if you are thinking of entering you may want to do so soon.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2017, 07:29:28 pm »
Not quite a last minute entry from me. I'll be on the 06h45 from Paddington.

Weatherbagel says it'll be decent tomorrow: http://www.weatherbagel.com/f/e36b1565-de1b-4ed7-9e06-6a2039499abc
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2017, 08:00:29 pm »
That was good fun with decent weather, but it didn't seem too hot because so many of the roads were shaded by lots of trees. There were a number of people riding their first audax; hopefully they all enjoyed their day.

The first section to Dorking was ridden as a group with myself and another guy on fixed pulling along a group for a decent number of kilometres, although that all ended after ~50km with the descent into Gomshall. After Dorking I set off on my own and didn't see anyone else all day. The ride to  of Petworth was easy but the next section to Alton was tough with a number of short step climbs. I noticed my front tyre was losing pressure before Alton but I managed to get into town before having to replace the tube. (It's definitely time to replace the front tyre.)

After Lower Froyle the ride was pretty much done, just a flattish run in to the finish. I normally ride the final section in January as part of the Willy Warmer. It was a lot nicer today.

Thanks to ian_oli & Willsden CC for organising, and keeping entries open until the day. (I only decided I was riding on Friday.)

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/15751837
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2017, 10:05:23 am »
There were a number of people riding their first audax; hopefully they all enjoyed their day.
The Jack Eason Struggle was my first 200, several years ago. I enjoyed my day.  :D I should probably ride it again one year.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

2018 Edition
« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2018, 11:30:39 pm »
Just a reminder that on Sunday July 1st, the 2018 versions of three audaxes are being run by Willesden CC from Maidenhead. Take advantage of the cooling heatwave and have a great day out.

See https://tinyurl.com/3-audaxes for details. There is presently entry on the line but a chance the 200 will sell out.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #7 on: 29 June, 2018, 01:12:23 pm »
I'll be along for t'Struggle, leaving Chiswick around 6.

Maidenhead is such a  tricky distance at 30km from homer... 90minutes to ride yet no quicker to train... think I'll have to man up...   Company Welcome.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #8 on: 29 June, 2018, 01:41:01 pm »
The AUK repository says I rode the Boulters Bash back in 2010 as a non AUK member... I remember it as a good day out... and I recall finishing first and another rider being annoyed at me as I took the quicker road from the top of winter hill down to Cookham, while he followed the more scenic and slower lane  ;D

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #9 on: 29 June, 2018, 01:48:33 pm »

Maidenhead is such a  tricky distance at 30km from homer... 90minutes to ride yet no quicker to train... think I'll have to man up...   Company Welcome.

Straight up the A4?

I can route via Cranford instead of going out through Staines and Datchet.  I'll be twiddling 63" with the trusty Marathon+ though.

0630-0645 at the Jolly Wagoners?
Rule 77

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #10 on: 29 June, 2018, 02:41:21 pm »

There's a 0650 from Ealing Broadway to Taplow station arriving at 0720, the depart is just a short ride from there. Might work for you? Not wanting to put you off though....  ;)
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #11 on: 30 June, 2018, 08:20:54 pm »

There's a 0650 from Ealing Broadway to Taplow station arriving at 0720, the depart is just a short ride from there. Might work for you? Not wanting to put you off though....  ;)

Not on a Sunday. Taplow Station is closed. Maidenhead is open.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #12 on: 01 July, 2018, 07:11:00 am »
A puncture two minutes from home meant the train it was... met the hardriders from the Westerly on the station.... :)

« Reply #13 on: 01 July, 2018, 09:53:55 am »
Am gutted to have missed this, but in contrast to the 'hardriders' I spent the afternoon in a poncy Michelin starred restaurant consuming a 7 course lunch and fine wine in Belgium. Each dish was the size of a Ferrero Richer and I came out much lighter.......albeit due to the amount of cash I shed in the process.
Thanks to my hardriding Westerley colleagues for making up for my soft and pampered, poncy, embarrassing conduct on this occasion. I promise to get back on the bike next weekend.
I did visit the famous Plum bike shop in Ghent after lunch in my defence.

« Reply #14 on: 01 July, 2018, 10:01:19 am »
Having ridden what must be thousands of miles with Jack Eason, I really ought to ride The Struggle one day...

Am gutted to have missed this, but in contrast to the 'hardriders' I spent the afternoon in a poncy Michelin starred restaurant consuming a 7 course lunch and fine wine in Belgium. Each dish was the size of a Ferrero Richer and I came out much lighter.......albeit due to the amount of cash I shed in the process.
Thanks to my hardriding Westerley colleagues for making up for my soft and pampered, poncy, embarrassing conduct on this occasion. I promise to get back on the bike next weekend.
I did visit the famous Plum bike shop in Ghent after lunch in my defence.

Ha ha! That's the other end of the spectrum to Jack. Instead of going int a cafe and paying £2 for a teacake, he'd go to Tesco and buy a family multi pack for £1 and scoff the lot on the move. Washed down with several gulps of Cola from his 2l bottle he carried in his saddlebag, also from a supermarket and at a similar price to a small glass of cola in a cafe.
 ;D

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #15 on: 01 July, 2018, 08:35:33 pm »
Having loaded up my self made saddlebag with my secret 1lb batter loaf (selfraising flour and soya milk bake at gas mark 4 for 45minutes), a bag of fruit jellies, banana loaf and a big bottle of tesco energy pop, I left home at 0600, pedalling the 30k or so to the start, because I'm too tight for the train.

It was pretty apparent that it was going to be a scorcher. I'd drunk both my water bottles by the time I'd got to Maidenhead.

My lazy report reads like adamski's from last year with a couple of changes - only me on fixed today, and the shade offered no respite from the heat. It was seriously warm today. Certainly at least one succumbed to the heat at the end. (He finished) A good rider who's path has crossed with mine on The Shark and GMC, whos name embarrisingy I can't recall. I hope you are well soon and got home safe.
It was nice to bump into Keith and Eddie, two local riders, with whom I spent most of the day, both this year and last.
Unfortunately I witnessed a poor lady (not on the Struggle) really hurt her arm crashing over a tree root just before Kingsley. Whipping along on her e bike under the shade, not seeing it untill far too late. Nice couple. I hope she's not in plaster too long.

All in all, another great day, no riders run over by horses, or shoulders dislocated by Tesco vans this year. Almost ruined by the dickhead in the red peugeout near Colnbrook. If I can elbow(!!!) your car, simply put, you are too close.

Hope all riders still out made it back safe.

Cheers, Ian. Hopefully it runs next year. If it does, rest assured I'll be their. Its a deceivingly tough in places ride, with some right stinkers of climbs. Quality!
Rule 77

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #16 on: 01 July, 2018, 09:55:11 pm »
What a day! Started off great for the depart, I was panting like a dog on the way in though. Thanks for organising Ian.

Out of curiosity has it been known for summertime 100km Calendar brevet populaires to start really early? i.e. around 0600 or even earlier. When I'm out with the dad in the summer we're always out the door as early as possible to avoid the sun's zenith, though obviously this makes things tricky for those coming in from further away.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 01 July, 2018, 10:00:59 pm »
Rolled around the 200 on my trike, starting five minutes late. The heat, hills and some crappy lanes made things a little more challenging. Chasing HK's back wheel got me round a bit quicker than would otherwise have been the case but we still finished well down the field. I'll blame sitdown stops at every control, rather than admit my inarguably weak legs.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...