Author Topic: How much extra does wool weigh when sodden?  (Read 1193 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
How much extra does wool weigh when sodden?
« on: 01 July, 2017, 06:34:49 pm »
OK - why!? you are probably asking

We are looking at a knitted poppy installation and at the technical issues associated with it. This will mean working out what the weight could be in a downpour.

My Googling has failed me!
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: How much extra does wool weigh when sodden?
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2017, 07:11:35 pm »
Are any of your group on Ravelry? I'm sure someone would know the answer on there. If there's no-one who is on Ravelry, I can ask for you - let me know.

Sara

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2017, 07:16:35 pm »
LOTS!
I don't know the answer but can't you get a pair of wool socks, paired into a ball, weigh wet and dry, then factor up?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2017, 07:53:47 pm »
It'll depend on how absorbent the wool used is.  If the poppies are knitted out of something synthetic then I wouldn't expect them to absorb very much water at all.

Suggest you adopt Helly's suggestion only use a ball of the "wool" that is to be used. Weigh it dry, soak it from a watering can and then reweigh. 

If there's no need to re-use the wool and it's highly absorbent then spray the finished articles with a waterproofing agent.  I think you can buy spray on waterproofing for wax jackets and the like.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2017, 08:27:39 pm »
Some great suggestions, thanks.

I think there is an element of syntheticness, it is difficult to say, given the volunteer nature of this project. We talked about treating them, but that might need a lot of treatment!

At the moment the volunteers are knitting away madly and we are saying things like "how many poppies per sq MTV?"  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 03 July, 2017, 11:47:39 pm »
Half a century ago, when I was sailing trying to sail dinghies competitively, a wet sweater (thick knitted wool, since that was the only available option) or more than one, was the way we added weight to exploit the power of strong winds (Paul Elvstrøm was a role model).
I struggle to assess the weight of the wet sweaters. I'd hazard a guess at 5-10 lbs. My clothed body mass would have been about 75 kg. An extra couple or 5 kg doesn't look very significant, certainly not enough to win gold medals in an overcanvassed Olympic Finn. That suggests that an experiment may be appropriate.

Do you not have a wooly garment with which you could measure the differnce in weight between dry & sodden (or soggy)?