Author Topic: Is it ever acceptable to . . .  (Read 5262 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Is it ever acceptable to . . .
« on: 04 July, 2017, 09:40:05 am »
 . . . have two bikes the same colour?

Blessed with 5 bikes (0 motor vehicles), the '92 Longstaff is due for its second re-enamel, but I find myself leaning towards the same Ellis Briggs 'champagne poly' as the '87 Raleigh 'Avanti' - wot they did a wonderful paint job on in 2015.

Mmmmmmm :-\

Re: Is it ever acceptable to . . .
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:46:00 am »
Approached correctly this could be a cunning ruse to keep the apparent count down by one....

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:45:34 am »
Only if you ride them both at once.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:14:55 am »
I have two that are a kind of Ti colour. 

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2017, 12:11:20 pm »
Best way to sneak em in under the radar

image by paulfulford, on Flickr

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2017, 12:22:37 pm »
Of course, as long as they're BLACK

« Reply #6 on: 04 July, 2017, 02:45:43 pm »
If I got a new bike and could pick the colour it would probably (50%) be "original Pompino blue" (or purple, or orange).  3 of my bikes are shades of blue.
That being said, I expect that if two bikes are the same colour one would end up replacing another.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7 on: 04 July, 2017, 02:59:51 pm »

Likewise - although one has black decals and the other one cream.

Rob

« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:07:27 pm »
Approached correctly this could be a cunning ruse to keep the apparent count down by one....

Why would anyone want to keep the count down by one? ;D

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:13:56 pm »

Why would anyone want to keep the count down by one? ;D

Well, if it keeps the relationship or marriage alive/dangly bits still attached to one's body... 

People have been dumped, divorced or killed utterly to DETH for less.  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:28:22 pm »
3/5 of mine are black (though they're different - one's stealthy, one's got white accents and the other's got fluo purple and yellow accents). I probably should get more non-black bikes to balance things out...

The "sneaking under the radar" ruse is, fortunately, unnecessary for me, as the other half genuinely has no idea how many bikes I have and doesn't care. ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:41:39 pm »
3/5 of mine are black, though two of those are very similar, on account of being a weird double-triangle-based shape with the pedals in the middle.

No sneaking needed because, erm, ask barakta...

« Reply #12 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:47:40 pm »
3/5 of mine are black, though two of those are very similar, on account of being a weird double-triangle-based shape with the pedals in the middle.

No sneaking needed because, erm, ask barakta...

Because you can paint them as identical as you like, she'll still notice another one in the living room?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:49:59 pm »
Because you can paint them as identical as you like, she'll still notice another one in the living room?

Experience suggests 'eventually'.   ;D

« Reply #14 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:56:01 pm »

ditto... two the same Ti colour and make and model and size

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #15 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:24:36 pm »
I think its good to have some obvious way of differentiating them. Especially when speaking to friends/family, who may not know much about bikes. So you can say "I'm just going out on the blue bike", then its clear which one you mean. Or even to avoid confusing yourself.

If they are different types of bikes, then that would be obvious, eg you could have a "tourer" and a "mountain bike", even if they're both the same colour. Or customise them in some way, to make an obvious difference, eg a colourful saddle or bar tape.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #16 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:27:24 pm »
Of course, as long as they're BLACK

Are you a rabid anti unionist and have a picture of hitler on your desk?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:37:05 pm »
If they are different types of bikes, then that would be obvious, eg you could have a "tourer" and a "mountain bike", even if they're both the same colour.

Which leads to the obvious question:  Is it ever acceptable to have two bikes of the same type?

(Yes, of course it is, but it seems like a waste of valuable n+1 quota.)

« Reply #18 on: 05 July, 2017, 12:45:09 am »

The beauty of 'eventually' is that it lends truth to 'oh, that? I've had it for ages.'

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #19 on: 05 July, 2017, 12:46:08 am »

I didn't get a chance not to notice. I am fairly sure you told me mere minutes if not hours after I got home from a BiCon (was it one I was running? although I'm usually dead of ded as just attending person) that you had committed N+1 on the grounds that a tandem totally entitled you to replace it with TWO single user cycles ...

If it fits... The front room is already an indoor garage  ;D

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #20 on: 05 July, 2017, 01:17:41 am »

Blessed with 5 bikes (0 motor vehicles), the '92 Longstaff is due for its second re-enamel, but I find myself leaning towards the same Ellis Briggs 'champagne poly' as the '87 Raleigh 'Avanti' - wot they did a wonderful paint job on in 2015.

Frame colours or are we talking wheels and handle bars, bar tape and other bits so the bikes look identical.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #21 on: 05 July, 2017, 08:02:52 am »

Frame colours or are we talking wheels and handle bars, bar tape and other bits so the bikes look identical.

Nah, that would be too freaky :hand: Identical frame colours, albeit with a different head tube panels. Wheels very similar apart from 26" and 700C, same hubs, same custom 8 speed cassettes. Handlebars identical, except one is upside down. Same grips, brake levers, gear levers, quill stems, headsets, Edelux 2s, rear Philips lamps, chainsets, front mechs, pedals and possibly other similarities. Both share the heated bike bunker with others. There's only one bike in the bedroom (and only one frame in the spare bedroom, but 3 frames in the living room) :-[ Therapeutic innit :)

« Reply #22 on: 09 July, 2017, 09:06:15 am »
I am working towards having all my bikes the same colour.  It's just deciding which colour.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #23 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:00:57 pm »
I have a red one and a green one. I think the next one will have to be blue.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #24 on: 12 July, 2017, 09:08:14 am »
Which leads to the obvious question:  Is it ever acceptable to have two bikes of the same type?
In the search of the perfect bike you obviously need to buy an upgrade and then check that it is better than the previous one - which implies keeping the previous bike.  At which point you have probably kept the previous bike for long enough that it will be worth less than your new front wheel and you might as well keep it as a spare/utility bike. 
This cycle repeats until you run out of shed space.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace