Author Topic: Shimano Optislick cable ferrules  (Read 7463 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Shimano Optislick cable ferrules
« on: 09 July, 2017, 11:43:10 am »
I'm re-cabling a 10-speed road bike, and I have a Shimano 'Optislick' cable set which came as a complete kit.

The existing cabling has all identicle ferrules, but the kit comes with several different ones:

3x 'normal',
1x longer, with slight flats on the end,
2 x 'sealed' with 'snouts' for the inner to emerge from, and 'key' ridges which are designed to fit into a slot.

Optislick by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

However, unlike most Shimano products which come with an A0 sheet of instructions folded down, this comes with nothing.

So: where are the ferrules intended to go?

My best guess:

The ones with snouts and key ridges must go into the lugs on the top of the down-tube, where there are slots in the lugs to accept the key.
(I can't see anywhere else they would fit. )
The 3 'regular' ones go into the shifters, and on the entry to the rear mech loop on the chainstay.
The longer 'un goes in the rear mech where the adjuster is.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Shimano Optislick cable ferrules
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2017, 12:02:51 pm »
It may be a kit for the latest 10/11 speed shifters. The 'snouty' ferrules fit in the rear of the shifter. The ridge locks into a keyway. Not seen this on any older 'hidden cable' shifters.

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2017, 12:16:17 pm »
"Sealed with snout" ferrules are used with the latest front shifters that have the cables routed under the bar tape. Their use is shown on Page 10 of the Shimano Dual Control Lever Dealer's Manual (http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-ST0002-04-ENG.pdf) which covers :-
ST-9001
ST-9000
ST-6800
ST-5800
ST-4700
ST-4703

I don't know about other levers having only come across such ferrules when installing a pair of Tiagra ST-4703 levers last year.

Feanor

« Reply #3 on: 09 July, 2017, 12:42:27 pm »
That PDF pretty much answers the question.

My shifters are ST-6700, which are not specifically listed.  They are the first generation concealed shift cables.
Looking at the picture on P10, it shows 2 variations for the shifting lever:

Option 1 for ST-9001/ST-9000/ST-6800/ST-5800
Has Long Tounge ( which I don't have ) on shifter end, and short tounge ( which I do have ) on frame cable-stop side.

Option 2 for ST-4700/ST-4703
Has normal cap on shifter end, and short tounge on frame end.

Option 2 looks like the closest to my ST-6700 set-up.

The rear mech end has 2 options also, and I have the parts for the second option ( ST-5800 etc )

Thanks all.

« Reply #4 on: 09 July, 2017, 06:14:31 pm »
Hi Feanor,

I actually interpreted the figure at the bottom of Page 10 a different way, with the "cap with short tongue" being mounted at the shifter end of the cable and the "cap with long tongue"/"normal cap" being mounted against the cable stop on the down tube.  I believe this is the correct interpretation at the the ST-4700/ST-4703 levers I fitted have a groove on the shifter to take the raised ridge on the side of the "cap with short tongue".

This may however be a mute point in your case as the corresponding document for the ST-6700 (http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-6SC0A-002-ENG.pdf) appears to show identical outer caps (without tongues) being applied to both ends of the outer casing between the cable stop on the downtube and the shifters.

Feanor

« Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2017, 08:07:50 pm »
Hi Feanor,

I actually interpreted the figure at the bottom of Page 10 a different way, with the "cap with short tongue" being mounted at the shifter end of the cable and the "cap with long tongue"/"normal cap" being mounted against the cable stop on the down tube.  I believe this is the correct interpretation at the the ST-4700/ST-4703 levers I fitted have a groove on the shifter to take the raised ridge on the side of the "cap with short tongue".

This may however be a mute point in your case as the corresponding document for the ST-6700 (http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-6SC0A-002-ENG.pdf) appears to show identical outer caps (without tongues) being applied to both ends of the outer casing between the cable stop on the downtube and the shifters.

That's not how I interpreted it. I read it as..

The text at the top *left* of the box saying 'Shifting Lever Side' means the stuff to the left of the image relates to the shifter end of the cable.
(Despite the picture of the bike above being the other way round. )
I can't see any other reason the *left* part of the picture should change for different shifter versions, if that were the frame side of the cable.

Much like the box at the top of the picture says 'Derailleur side' at the left of the image, and relates to the rear mech end of the cable.

There is no groove on my shifter to accept the key anyway.

But thanks for pointing me to the doc. Job's done and is a goodun.

Samuel D

« Reply #6 on: 10 July, 2017, 09:12:05 am »
3x 'normal',
1x longer, with slight flats on the end,
2 x 'sealed' with 'snouts' for the inner to emerge from, and 'key' ridges which are designed to fit into a slot.

I think your “1x longer, with slight flats on the end” ferrule is also sealed, by the way. The efficacy of these seals is not clear to me, though. Presumably they need to be slathered in grease to work at all.

The Shimano ferrule situation (PDF) is getting quite complex. Here’s a piggyback question for those in the know: if you were running SL-R400 down-tube shifters, BL-R400 brake levers, and an RD-7800 rear derailleur, which brake- and shift-cable ferrules would you go for? I’d like to buy some in bulk to use with bulk Shimano housing. The complete cable kits as Feanor used are too expensive for my taste.

« Reply #7 on: 10 July, 2017, 12:21:13 pm »
Hi Feanor,

I think you have assumed too much based on the position of the label of the lower diagram on page 10 of the Dual Control Lever Dealer's Manual (http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-ST0002-04-ENG.pdf.  I believe the label is there purely to indicate this lower diagram applies to the outer cable run between the shifters and the frame as opposed to the outer cable run between the frame and the rear derailleur as shown in the upper diagram on page 10 labelled "Derailleur side". The portions of the cable outer that each of the diagrams applies to is also shown by the  lines between the two diagrams and the appropriate outer cable sections shown in black on the grey bike shape.  In both instances in both the upper and lower diagrams the lengths of cable are shown the same way round as they are on the bike.  This is confirmed by the "speech bubble" towards the bottom of the lower diagram showing the "Cap with short tongue" being inserted in the "rear" of the STI lever.

It may seem strange but it seems clear that the "Cap with long tongue" appears to be only intended to to used with ST-9001/ST-9000/ST-6800 levers where the cable outer meets the cable stop on the frame for both the outer cable section at the front (lever side) and rear (derailleur side).  I suspect the long tongues are intended to help keep the portion of the bare inner cable immediately adjacent to the ferrule "clean" to reduce contamination being dragged into the ferrule and outer as the inner cable moves backwards and forwards as you change up and down the gears.

All that having been said I can see no reason, other than the fact that such ferrules probably only come with the more expensive cable sets, why you could not use the "cap with long tongue" for a lower range set up.

« Reply #8 on: 10 July, 2017, 12:42:23 pm »
re Samuel's post above; the longer ferrule is indeed sealed and if it is not lubricated, or is lubricated with the wrong stuff, it will tend to go a bit draggy. It can be identified by
- longer length
- flats on end
- three grooves instead of two in the body

There is a small 'O' ring seal in the base of this type of ferrule. Needless to say the sealing efficiency/drag is also dependant on the exact size of the cable. Once the seal is worn, the sealing is lost, obviously. Also note that if these ferrules are seated in a badly shaped cable stop, the end of the ferrule can be deformed which then causes the O ring to go draggy on the inner cable.

Ref the small parts pdf, this is my take on the uses of the various ferrules listed, which others might find useful

1, 2. Unsealed steel ferrules for gear cable, various end diameters (to fit different cable stops)

3.   Ridged plastic ferrule for gear cable in current road STI shifters; fits levers with a suitable groove (as per Feanor's kit). If these are surplus to requirements (eg because your shifters don't use them) you can remove the ridge you use these ferrules in other locations where a short tail might be useful.

4.  Plastic gear cable ferrule with long tail; use where gear cable enters/exits a carbon frame with a bare cable run inside it, also where the a cable stop is angled badly to the bare cable run.  Can also be used (in some cases) to provide a liner through the length of a barrel adjuster.

5. Plastic or Alu 'sealed' gear cable ferrules with various end diameters. Use metal ones where the drilling through the cable stop (for the inner cable) is oversize; this will prevent 'punch-through' of the housing which is otherwise likely with plastic ferrules.

6. Sealed gear cable ferrule with rubber boot. The tongue on the plastic part (which can also smooth the run through a kinked cable stop as per 4) usually has a barb on it so that the rubber boot won't slide off.  This ferrule is the best one to use on (say) an MTB seatstay cable run into the rear mech; the crud only penetrates into the main part of the cable housing comparatively slowly.  Occasionally it is prudent to use this kind of ferrule on a chainstay cable stop if the bike is routinely used in very mucky conditions. [NB some other manufacturers offer a similar arrangement whereby the boot is a concertina that is fixed to the cable inner above the ferrule, and is intended to compress/extend by the full throw of the shifter. IME this offers better sealing until the boot chafes through. A further variant has a long boot that moves with the cable inner, and the tail on the ferrule is long enough that the boot always covers the end of the tail, thus deterring crud ingress. This type is good to use on Moultons; with their dismally positioned cable runs they don't last in the weather otherwise.

7. Alu ferrule for brake cable outer, with plastic 'tail'. Use (where possible) in brake levers.

8. Alu brake cable ferrule sized to fit shimano MTB parts

Missing from the list is the miniature 'tail ferrule' that appears in 11s rear mechs. This also fits earlier mechs and helps to smooth the cable run in the high gears especially.

Confusingly BL-R400 etc appear not to require any kind of ferrule, but if you can find one that fits, by all means use it. I think you can fit some ferrules with a 5mm nose (larger ones will usually jam in the lever IME), but it is unclear if they actually do any good unless they have a liner through the nose.

For the gear cable runs I'd suggest a sealed ferrule (of some kind depending on usage condition) at the chainstay cable stop and unsealed ones elsewhere. Fit a 'tail' or a tailed ferrule in the rear mech if it will fit. If the housing run into the rear mech sees a tight bend (which is better avoided IMHO) or the mech uses a slotted cable stop fitting (i.e. with no barrel adjuster) then you may want to use an aluminium ferrule into the rear mech because the plastic ones can fail too soon otherwise.

cheers

Samuel D

« Reply #9 on: 10 July, 2017, 01:11:55 pm »
Excellent! Ta very much, Brucey.