Author Topic: Porte slams 2017 route safety  (Read 10400 times)

Re: Porte slams 2017 route safety
« Reply #50 on: 18 July, 2017, 08:39:26 am »
But you're neglecting the fact that these riders don't 'enter' this bike race - they are paid to ride bikes in races of their sponsors' and team managers' choosing.  In many cases, they are racing because it's one of the only things they're qualified to do...
So Pro bike racers are akin to zero hour workers or factory workers in third world countries?  Trapped in the only job they can do and forced to take risks or lose the only job they can do? 
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #51 on: 18 July, 2017, 09:00:29 am »
But you're neglecting the fact that these riders don't 'enter' this bike race - they are paid to ride bikes in races of their sponsors' and team managers' choosing.  In many cases, they are racing because it's one of the only things they're qualified to do...

They can choose how fast they go down a descent.  And as mentioned above, it was a descent he had made just a few weeks before.

What did Dan Martin choose to do so badly?

He lost all hope of a stage win, and took a serious dent in his podium chances. He has serious back problems a week later - it's POSSIBLE that is permanent damage.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #52 on: 18 July, 2017, 09:38:30 am »
mattc, can an event organiser prevent riders from being wiped out by other riders?  In an early stage Sky and AG2R went down going round an innocuous corner on the flat, they could easily have been injured by another cyclists riding too fast.
I don't see how ASO could realistically do anything to prevent riders being injured by other riders, unless they require body armour.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #53 on: 18 July, 2017, 09:52:07 am »
It doesn't matter how "safe" a route is.  Competitive riders will ride it to its limits.

If there were no corners at all, just a 45degree downward slope, then they'd ride it at 130km/hr.  Riders would complain that they should introduce some corners.

There was nothing more or less dangerous about the corner Porte crashed on than hundreds of other "Alpine" descents.  They are all bloody dangerous at the speeds they descend.

I've watched from behind the sofa (figuratively) when they descend in the wet.

They're on the limits.  It seems to me that most accidents happen in the peloton, on long straight roads.  That's what did for Froome last time. "Normal" roads in the wet.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #54 on: 20 July, 2017, 07:47:55 am »

They can choose how fast they go down a descent.  And as mentioned above, it was a descent he had made just a few weeks before.

What did Dan Martin choose to do so badly?

He lost all hope of a stage win, and took a serious dent in his podium chances. He has serious back problems a week later - it's POSSIBLE that is permanent damage.

Shows Richie how to take it:

https://twitter.com/DanMartin86/status/884092563074035712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fsport%2Fcycling%2F2017%2F0709%2F888907-uran-takes-victory-as-martin-loses-vital-time-in-crash%2F

:thumbsup:
Move Faster and Bake Things

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #55 on: 20 July, 2017, 12:35:44 pm »
https://www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2017/0709/888907-uran-takes-victory-as-martin-loses-vital-time-in-crash/

Porte, seen as one of the main contenders for the yellow jersey, misjudged a turn on the descent of the Mont du Chat - the last of seven categorised climbs on a brutal stage - taking out Martin and throwing both riders in the rock face at the side of the road.

"Richie lost it on one corner - it was so slippery, I guess the organisers got what they wanted," he said. "It was so slippery under the trees.

"I was very, very lucky to get away as lightly as I did."

[My bold.

There is also this amusing bit of reporting:]

It all came down to a rare sprint finish between general classification contenders, with Uran coming out on top despite being stuck in a single gear after collecting debris as he dodged the Porte crash.

[Amusing as the "debris" he collected was in fact Dan Martin's foot catching Uran's derailleur!]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Samuel D

« Reply #56 on: 20 July, 2017, 12:54:41 pm »
That’s no way for an Irish broadcaster to refer to Dan!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #57 on: 21 July, 2017, 01:59:04 pm »
Interview about this year's route with Thierry Gouvenou, the man who designed it:
https://audioboom.com/posts/6124097-kilometre-0-the-route-master

He has some things to say on the subject of dangerous descents.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Samuel D

« Reply #58 on: 21 July, 2017, 02:25:02 pm »
The whole thing is reasonably interesting but the bit about descending starts at 12:08. He pretty much says what I said here: that riders should learn not to take unjustifiable risks. I believe this will happen if racing the descents continues to happen.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #59 on: 21 July, 2017, 02:32:15 pm »
He pretty much says what I said here

And indeed what I said upthread: "No one forced him to do anything, he took excessive risks to keep up with more skilled descenders"

As someone who completed the Tour seven times, Gouvenou is fairly well qualified to make these kind of judgments. Certainly better qualified than anyone contributing to this thread.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."