Author Topic: Secure Bike Storage at Home - Asgard / Trimetals etc.  (Read 3312 times)

Secure Bike Storage at Home - Asgard / Trimetals etc.
« on: 15 July, 2017, 05:25:07 pm »
Dear all,

Does anyone have experience with any of the bike home storage offerings from the likes of Asgard or Trimetals?

I currently have a stable of bikes that I can't part with just yet, in case grandchildren of the future are interested.
3 road bikes and a mountain bike are currently housed in an ageing wooden structure.
To protect them together, away from the other 3 family bicycles that are never used as they are too hard to get out of the shed - I was considering purchasing a stand alone option.

There is sufficient concrete and wall space along the kitchen wall at the rear of the house so I would rather put these 4 in a place of their own and then one day replace the shed with something nicer.

So does anyone have experience with any of the bike home storage offerings from Asgard or Trimetals please?

p.s. I searched on both names prior to commencing a new thread.

I knew Charlotte had one:  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15105.0 - but no mention of Asgard.

Re: Secure Bike Storage at Home - Asgard / Trimetals etc.
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2017, 06:06:15 pm »
Blimey!
Where have you been A? I hope all is well.

NSTN of these pages has a bike shed from (I'm pretty sure) Trimetals.
I fitted the locks to it when she was living in SW9.
I installed security fittings from Pragmasis (Doc Squid otp) into it a couple of years ago, when she moved to Croydon.
It takes 3 bikes (you wont get a fourth in there without cutting it up), and it struck me at the time that the kit both from Trimetals and Pragmasis are both of high quality and, (as  in a previous life - car-breaker - inner / AA patrolman) likely to make the would be miscreant look for easier targets.
As far as I know, NSTN hasn't been robbed of her bikes.
G'luck.
J

« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2017, 06:34:52 pm »
I have an asgard, bought this year. Just the standard one as I live in a low crime area, for about 20% more they do a high security version. I'm pleased with it, I put it up in a couple of hours, it would be easier with two people or they will erect it for a fairly reasonable fee. It's a little higher than the trimetals one, which is unnecessary for bike storage but you can add a shelf along the back for sheddy stuff.

Three bikes fit in easily, four would probably go with a little clever tessellation.

However, £500+ on the off-chance one of the grandkids might appreciate an old bike, at some unspecified time in the future? Why not sell them and, if they express an interest in the future, buy something then with the addition of the £500 you didn't spend on a shed?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2017, 07:20:06 pm »
Crikey.   Hello GruB.   :D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2017, 11:23:44 pm »
I'm very happy with my Trimetals. I bought it for the same reason as you; the old, wooden shed was falling down. I chose it over an Asgard simply because it had to go in the space previously occupied by the wooden one, and Trimetals made the only one I could find that was the right shape.

Mine will take a bike standing vertically on its wheel, but only in the middle at the back. I don't actually tend to put my good bikes in it, but it's pretty secure. Also, it's dry and not likely to fall down, which are two plus points over the old one!

Building it required a bit of planning, because it had to go back into a constricted space, so we couldn't necessarily get at all four sides. In the end, we did most of it in the middle of the lawn. It then took four of us, inside and pushing up on the roof, to walk it back into its final place. Quite a fun family project! Having previously had to lift all the various boxes and packages in which it arrived, I wasn't expecting to be able to move it.

It actually gains a few inches on each side over the old one. It's amazing what a difference those make.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 15 July, 2017, 11:28:05 pm »
HugZ GruB
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6 on: 15 July, 2017, 11:33:37 pm »
Blimey!
Where have you been
A?
Those were my exact words when I saw the topic creator.
Rust never sleeps

Chris N

« Reply #7 on: 16 July, 2017, 07:03:22 am »
GruB!  Funnily enough I was thinking about you yesterday - I was riding across the Vale of Pewsey - and wondering how you (and Little Andy ;D ) were.  Hope you're well mate. :-*

I've got one of these: http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-storage/bike-storage-x3-police-approved.  It'll take 3 bike easily (though my 29er only just fits) and 4 if you're willing to turn the bars through 90 deg/remove pedals.  I've got some extra security in there too from Pragmasis/the Squids.

« Reply #8 on: 16 July, 2017, 10:36:55 am »
I have the big one

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/motorcycle-storage/motorbike-storage-garage

It's four years old. It feels like new. I have the shelving, the vents both sides, and power and lighting. I can easily work on bikes in the shed as a Park stand fits fine. I've got a little heater in there for winter.

I love it.

« Reply #9 on: 16 July, 2017, 05:09:14 pm »
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=46881.msg1706382#msg1706382

Still happy with it, will have had it six years come autumn.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #10 on: 16 July, 2017, 07:04:24 pm »
GruB!  Funnily enough I was thinking about you yesterday - I was riding across the Vale of Pewsey - and wondering how you (and Little Andy ;D ) were.  Hope you're well mate. :-*

Snap.  Except I was cycling in the Chilterns and saw a shop name called Grub something.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #11 on: 17 July, 2017, 01:24:06 pm »
That sounds like the recovery hasn't gone as well as you hoped, and you are still living on the beta blockers. Arsebiscuits.

I was on a low dose of the bloody things for a bit; they do make it difficult to do anything, don't they? Like driving a van with a speed limiter, except that this is a rev limiter and when you hit a hill you go down through the gears, and down through the gears and  . . . Even climbing stairs gets difficult.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12 on: 24 July, 2017, 06:28:45 am »
Thanks all, for kind thoughts and feedback re: secure storage.