Author Topic: upgrading SSD in a laptop  (Read 1269 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
upgrading SSD in a laptop
« on: 18 July, 2017, 03:16:29 pm »
I need to upgrade a Windows 10 laptop SSD to a bigger one. I have the new drive, a USB caddy, and backup facilities. I've never swapped out a drive before that wasn't part of a complete new system so I'd welcome advice from those who have as to what are the best software tools for the job.

Thanks in advance.
Pen Pusher

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: upgrading SSD in a laptop
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2017, 03:26:10 pm »
The make of drive you buy will offer their own software with a cloning function that should be fine.

The other way I've done it is with Acronis True Image - simply restoring an image backup to the new drive.  It automatically makes it bootable in the process.  I also use Acronis Disk Director for changing partition sizes.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2017, 03:56:40 pm »
The make of drive you buy will offer their own software with a cloning function that should be fine.

Thanks, didn't think of that. There's no info with the drive ::-). It seems I can download and install Acronis True Image WD Edition so I'll do that.
Pen Pusher

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2017, 08:53:14 am »
Some individual bits of software will still kick off if you change the system HD - even if they themselves are installed on disk D say.  Adobe Creative Suite is one, Memory Map is another, IME.  Both these have a 'transfer' procedure that you have to go through - basically de-registering with the old system HD in place, then re-registering with the new one.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll