Author Topic: Any point in Cat 6 for home internet?  (Read 876 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Any point in Cat 6 for home internet?
« on: 04 August, 2017, 05:43:40 pm »
I will have to buy a new 10m long (at least) ethernet cable to connect the router at the new Wombat burrow with the PC down the other end of the bungalow.  Is there any point in getting a Cat 6 cable?  I will probably get a complete cable initially, but might later install a proper one up through the roof space, which would obviously be tidier if I threaded the cable through a little hole and then installed plugs afterwards.  Is fitting cat 5 or cat 6 plugs tricky?  I assume its some sort of IDC thing, a bit like phone connections?

Don;t suppose anyone here knows what sort of routers Vodafone issue, do you?  Hope its got at least 4 connections, anyway.  I prefer to use real wire to connect my stuff where possible, leaving magic wireless for things like phones and tablets.  Wired stuff is presently the telly, amplifier, Sonos thing, and blu-ray player (and obviously the PC!)
Wombat

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: Any point in Cat 6 for home internet?
« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2017, 06:25:36 pm »
Ah, yes, forgot that useful thread!  Thanks for the prompt.  Cat 5e it is, then...  An excuse for more tools, for the terminations  ;D
Wombat