Author Topic: Bye bye Jerry Lewis  (Read 2622 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Bye bye Jerry Lewis
« on: 20 August, 2017, 09:17:12 pm »
And another gone. Did anyone ever actually find him funny?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40994864
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Bye bye Jerry Lewis
« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2017, 09:56:19 pm »
I thought he died some time in the 1970s.

Zeitgeist, what Zeitgeist?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2017, 11:46:42 pm »
There I was thinking about great balls of fire and I found that I had completely the wrong Jerry Lewis. Never heard of this one. Goodness gracious.*

*A reference to popular culture. From the 1950s.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2017, 12:17:51 am »

The French.
Lewis also achieved great popularity in France where he was hailed as "le Roi du Crazy" ("the King of Crazy"). He was inducted into the Legion of Honour, France's highest award, in 1984.

The crossover between verbal and physical comedy is problematic.

Tati is the exception that proves the rule. Albania's love of Norman Wisdom, France's enthusiasm for Jerry Lewis, the worldwide embrace of Mr Bean have not been reciprocated. Continental comic stars such as Fernandel, Bourvil and Toto have not been favourably greeted on English-speaking shores. When Cantinflas, Mexico's national treasure, was cast as Passepartout in Mike Todd's Around the World in 80 Days, he was regarded as a lugubrious ball-and-chain attached to David Niven's ankle.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2007/jun/17/comedy

I think Harry Hill is hilarious, lots don't. I can live with that, even though there are those who insist I shouldn't like him.

« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2017, 06:54:43 am »
Honestly I have no idea what he was like.

Instead of watching Harry Hill I would happily do all the washing up, even the greasy frying pan and clean the barbecue.. .. has he finished yet?
Move Faster and Bake Things

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2017, 08:57:32 am »
ESL, I think you and Harry Hill were made for each other.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2017, 02:50:18 pm »
...Never heard of this one...

I had, but my father's tastes in comedy (and other entertainments) were different to mine.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: 21 August, 2017, 03:02:27 pm »

The French.
Lewis also achieved great popularity in France where he was hailed as "le Roi du Crazy" ("the King of Crazy"). He was inducted into the Legion of Honour, France's highest award, in 1984.

Tati is the exception that proves the rule. Albania's love of Norman Wisdom, France's enthusiasm for Jerry Lewis, the worldwide embrace of Mr Bean have not been reciprocated. Continental comic stars such as Fernandel, Bourvil and Toto have not been favourably greeted on English-speaking shores. When Cantinflas, Mexico's national treasure, was cast as Passepartout in Mike Todd's Around the World in 80 Days, he was regarded as a lugubrious ball-and-chain attached to David Niven's ankle.

I think Harry Hill is hilarious, lots don't. I can live with that, even though there are those who insist I shouldn't like him.

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about Jacques Tati and Norman Wisdom?  And Lee Evans for that matter; I've always thought of them as part of the same school of comedy as Jerry Lewis.

« Reply #9 on: 21 August, 2017, 03:39:47 pm »
Jacques Tati could be subtle. Jerry Lewis didn't know how to spell the word.

Jacques Tati was a script writer, director, producer and actor rolled up into one person.

Jerry Lewis was not much more than a parody of himself, and I've almost enjoyed watching a couple of his films. He did work hard for charities and raised pile of money for muscular dystrophy in particular
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #10 on: 21 August, 2017, 03:47:36 pm »

Never.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #11 on: 21 August, 2017, 03:54:30 pm »
I only saw him in The King of Comedy, which was a non-comic role, at least  not intentionally.

I don't think he was all that well known in the UK. I don't remember his films being shown on TV that much, and I doubt he ever appeared on British TV shows.

Obviously the UK had Norman Wisdom and that was enough, there isn't room for more than one clown/goofy comedian.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #12 on: 29 August, 2017, 03:57:49 pm »
Obviously the UK had Norman Wisdom and that was enough, there isn't room for more than one clown/goofy comedian.

I forwarded your post to Lee Evans.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #13 on: 30 August, 2017, 12:04:26 am »

The French.

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about Jacques Tati and Norman Wisdom?  And Lee Evans for that matter; I've always thought of them as part of the same school of comedy as Jerry Lewis.

I saw Lee Evans when he supported Jack Dee at Preston Guild in 1992. Toe-curlingly embarrassing, like all the 'slapstick' brigade. The only thing that's worse is farce.

The Harry Hill I like, is the one who took the piss out of Dr Brian Cox in 2008, before he was famous, as in this clip posted by Brian's wife.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nptDP35Tb0

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #14 on: 30 August, 2017, 08:51:10 pm »
Jacques Tati could be subtle. Jerry Lewis didn't know how to spell the word.

Jacques Tati was a script writer, director, producer and actor rolled up into one person.

Jerry Lewis was not much more than a parody of himself, and I've almost enjoyed watching a couple of his films. He did work hard for charities and raised pile of money for muscular dystrophy in particular

Jerry Lewis was HATED by disabled people because he was personally responsible for a large amount of "pity politics".  A lot of that money didn't go where it needed to (real people in real lives) and he refused to support disabled people having rights, instead expecting them to rely on charity. Disabled people were tool for his own self aggrandisement and publicity machine.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #15 on: 02 September, 2017, 04:10:44 am »
As for Lee Evans, I have met him, and found him delightful as a person.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i