Author Topic: La Vuelta  (Read 3236 times)

La Vuelta
« on: 01 September, 2017, 10:12:32 am »
Anyone watching?

It's been fairly interesting. Froome seems to have the beating of most of them and we haven't had a time trial yet but the rest of the top ten is quite close.

I thought it was a bit harsh on the highlights last night of TV's Super David Millar continually going on about 'things always seem to happen to Froome'. Yes he fell yesterday and it's happened on occasion but winning races consists of pushing hard.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Re: La Vuelta
« Reply #1 on: 01 September, 2017, 11:32:24 am »
Yes, it's been an interesting race. Froome has appeared very strong, but there's still some climbing to be done next week and I wouldn't discount some of his closest rivals mounting a challenge. I think he'll hold on though.

Contador is only 1 minute away from a podium finish. I think he's got the form to achieve that.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2 on: 01 September, 2017, 12:00:29 pm »
Yes. I was going to say I was thoroughly enjoying it, but Carlton Kirby dampens the pleasure somewhat. The current set of words and phrases that getting me shouting ast the screen:
- on the nose (ie at the front)
- embedded in
- have some fun
- go long
- and why not?
- writ large
- he just needs to time-trial to the end now.

I know it's a tough job, and those words/phrases are innocuous enough, but multiple times every stage...  Off to ITV4 highlights for me, I think.

Yesterday's stage would have been a lot duller without Contador. I don't suppose Froome would have fallen if they weren't having to chase that hard.

It seems unusual that so many of the contenders (Contador, Adam Yates, Roche, Chaves, Bardet, van Gaarderen, de la Cruz) have had their 'jours sans' so early.

« Reply #3 on: 04 September, 2017, 04:44:18 pm »
David Millar on ITV4 is excellent

« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2017, 11:51:27 pm »
Getting interesting.  Hard day for Froome.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2017, 10:47:31 pm »
I think I've seen highlights from every day of the Veulta. While the end result is the same as The Tour (a Froome victory) I've found it a far more enjoyable race to watch and I'm impressed how some teams have attacked Sky opposed to just sitting tight in the bunch while Sky riders tap out a stead pace up every climb.

I realise Bertie's history is dodgy, but the way he's attacked the race has been brilliant. I'll miss up trying to cause chaos and am delighted he managed to get his stage victory. He'll retire having only stood on the top step of a Grand Tour podium.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6 on: 09 September, 2017, 10:57:22 pm »
I thought the security did a great job today, despite one or two idiots.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

αdαmsκι

« Reply #7 on: 09 September, 2017, 11:14:17 pm »
The Guardia Civil have provided many comedy moments (and one bit of stupidity when someone pushed a fan in front of a motorbike).
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8 on: 10 September, 2017, 10:00:26 am »
The Tour & Vuelta double.

What does this do to Froome's position in the list of all time greats?
I've no doubt he could have bagged 2 more tour victories (without crashes and team orders).

He may even have enough left to do the "double-double" next year, if he ramps his training the same way as he did this year (I mean it was clear during the TdF he was trying to peak for the Vuelta).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #9 on: 10 September, 2017, 10:38:52 am »
He may even have enough left to do the "double-double" next year,

Depends how Dumoulin friendly the 2018 TdF route proves to be as a way to encourage him to skip the defence of his Giro title. Although considering both Froome & Dumoulin are blooming good at TTs and climbing I'm not sure how ASO could make a course that's better for Dumoulin than Froome.

David Martin

« Reply #10 on: 10 September, 2017, 02:22:46 pm »
Froome is the man of the moment, Dumoulin is the man of the future. Maybe there is a small window of a few years when Dan Martin will be competitive?

Giro/Tour double next year? That would be hard. Four consecutive grand tour titles.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #11 on: 11 September, 2017, 10:03:40 am »
Giro/Tour double next year? That would be hard. Four consecutive grand tour titles.

Yes but SKY/Froome may sacrifice everything else in order to do it (like they did this year).  People were concerned that Froome hadn't done anything special in 2017...up to the point when he won the two big ones.

Of course you can't predict accidents.  Froome was never more than a single mechanical incident away from 2nd place on the Tour or Vuelta.  It must be nerve-wracking, spending 3 weeks with just 90 seconds in hand.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #12 on: 11 September, 2017, 10:30:42 am »
Performance of Froome and Sky this year has been stunning. No doubt that folk will question performance etc etc, but they way they have performed has been stellar.

Well done to Sky and Froome.

David Martin

« Reply #13 on: 11 September, 2017, 10:56:50 am »
It was well organised and disciplined. Just a margin above the others enough of the time, but that is what it takes.

« Reply #14 on: 11 September, 2017, 12:24:02 pm »

Yes but SKY/Froome may sacrifice everything else in order to do it (like they did this year).  People were concerned that Froome hadn't done anything special in 2017...up to the point when he won the two big ones.

I don't think he'll go for the Giro for a couple of years at least. Would he/Sky risk compromising the chance of the big one (a record-equalling 5th TdF), and the bigger one (a record-breaking 6th TdF) by putting in a serious attempt at the Giro? Though I acknowledge it did look as if he went into the Tour below peak form with the Tour/Vuelta double in mind, so what do I know?

« Reply #15 on: 11 September, 2017, 08:47:43 pm »
Yeah, not a fan at all, but the Sky organisation and Froome's ability to judge his own capability is amazing. I would however, like to see power meters and radios banned. I think they've made racing a lot more boring.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #16 on: 11 September, 2017, 09:41:07 pm »
The battle between Sky & Quickstep for the points jersey on the final day was fun to watch.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #17 on: 16 September, 2017, 10:29:45 am »
Ok Froome has now become one of the greatest riders in pro cycling. It is not that he won the yellow and the red tops in one year or that he got a good collection of teddy lions.

It's because - bare feet on pedals, that's Lego territory, ouch! (See latest photo going the rounds)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 16 September, 2017, 12:36:15 pm »
Having seen the teaser on the Times Sports section, I dare not open the thing!

[Does he look as good as Pendleton did? Or Armstrong? ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #19 on: 16 September, 2017, 12:50:26 pm »
Put it like this, Froome's not built like the water-skier from last week's sports supplement.

Leaving the picture aside, the article is quite interesting - Froome had a saddle sore during the TDF, and he ended up lowering his saddle by 1.5cm (which in pro-racing set-up changes is quite a lot) to alleviate the pressure, at the cost of a loss of power output.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche