Author Topic: Jasmijn Muller's LEJOG Record Attempt  (Read 5837 times)

Jasmijn Muller's LEJOG Record Attempt
« on: 05 September, 2017, 03:10:10 pm »
Jasmijn Muller's  LEJOG  attempt is starting tomorrow, surprised no one has posted about it yet, is  here the best place to start a thread?
https://www.lejogrecord.co.uk/
The current record for LEJOG is 52 hours and 45 minutes and is held by Lynne Biddulph (née Taylor). It has stood unchallenged since 2002. What’s more, whilst at it, I will keep going for the 1,000 miles record which currently stands at 64 hours and 38 minutes:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Jasmijn Muller's LEJOG Record Attempt
« Reply #1 on: 05 September, 2017, 03:17:42 pm »
I thought she was starting today! Anyway, whatever ... it should be something fun to watch tomorrow, while we all cower indoors during this changeable weather :)

(it is all over the cycling Facebook groups I frequent. Lots of audaxers name-dropping :P )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2 on: 05 September, 2017, 03:28:55 pm »
There have been so many attempts by unlikely riders on 'soft' records over recent years, that it's nice to see a rider with a real chance, going for a strong record.

Good luck Jasmijn.

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 05 September, 2017, 03:39:57 pm »
I thought she was starting today! Anyway, whatever ... it should be something fun to watch tomorrow, while we all cower indoors during this changeable weather :)

(it is all over the cycling Facebook groups I frequent. Lots of audaxers name-dropping :P )

She was, but been delayed to tomorrow because of the weather

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4 on: 05 September, 2017, 04:36:22 pm »
There have been so many attempts by unlikely riders on 'soft' records over recent years

... who have often discovered that the records aren't so soft after all!

Anyway, Jasmijn's schedule is here.  She'll be going through Bristol around 5pm if anyone down there wants an excuse to leave work early to give her a cheer  ;)

« Reply #5 on: 05 September, 2017, 04:48:14 pm »
There have been so many attempts by unlikely riders on 'soft' records over recent years

... who have often discovered that the records aren't so soft after all!

I got approached by the TV people making the film about Guy Martin's 24 hour tandem record. I think their original idea was to challenge Wilko's 24 record, and they wanted my footage of Wilko.

They must have asked someone about that, and shifted to the Goodfellows' tandem 24 hour record. That was obviously beyond Martin and some MTB racing pal. Rod Goodfellow was approached for some stills. Rod is the Mersey Roads timekeeper, and an observer for the Roads Record Association, so he might be on this.

The route passes about a mile from here, so I might pop out and see if Rod's about. He asked me about the route to the Glen Affric hostel at the 24, and I'd like to know how he got on.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #6 on: 05 September, 2017, 04:52:58 pm »

dat

« Reply #7 on: 05 September, 2017, 07:09:56 pm »
Does anyone have a gpx of the route used for record attempts?

« Reply #8 on: 05 September, 2017, 07:20:42 pm »
Does anyone have a gpx of the route used for record attempts?
There is no set route.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #9 on: 05 September, 2017, 07:38:05 pm »
Reading that schedule, intent is 1000 miles in 62 hours, no rest?   :o

« Reply #10 on: 05 September, 2017, 07:58:53 pm »
She might pass James MacDonald who started yesterday in his attempt to beat the JOGLEJOG record of 5 days 21 hours.https://www.projectkansas.org/ .   Currently on the A6 approaching Preston, according to the racking on that site.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #11 on: 05 September, 2017, 08:05:50 pm »

You can see her route on her webpage, as linked by the OP  :P

As for the 1000 miles, if she hits JOG bang on schedule and intends to ride south for the 1000 mile record at the same speed, she'll have nearly an hour and a half slack in her schedule for celebrations. 

Chris S

« Reply #12 on: 05 September, 2017, 08:33:55 pm »

Er, yeah. Last time I saw Jasmijn, she was chillin at Kings on the Bryan Chapman, sometime late Saturday afternoon - on her way back from Menai.

« Reply #13 on: 05 September, 2017, 08:59:26 pm »
She might pass James MacDonald who started yesterday in his attempt to beat the JOGLEJOG record of 5 days 21 hours.https://www.projectkansas.org/ .   Currently on the A6 approaching Preston, according to the racking on that site.

He would have passed the gate leading to the site I was working on, doing some tree weeding while it wasn't raining. I saw Hoppo there when he did his LEJOGLE attempt.
LEJOGLE isn't an RRA record, Guinness do that one. It's seen as softer. Hoppo hit some bad weather on his attempt.

« Reply #14 on: 05 September, 2017, 09:23:14 pm »
Phil Minto is timekeeping

I see Jane Moore and Mark Brooking are observing. With Aidan.f helping out on Jasmijn's team, that's three quarters of the PBP Tandem Trike riders. What a pity HK couldn't be there to complete the set.  ;)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 05 September, 2017, 10:03:26 pm »
HK is currently riding her Moulton in France, on her way back from visiting friends in Switzerland, Germany and France.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 05 September, 2017, 11:20:59 pm »
LEJOGLE isn't an RRA record, Guinness do that one.

why's that  then?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 05 September, 2017, 11:43:26 pm »
The RRA are very traditional (e.g. don't recognise recumbent records, even when using RRA timekeepers) and loathe to add new routes. LEJOGLE isn't a traditional route; consider it a quirk of history.

« Reply #18 on: 06 September, 2017, 10:43:17 am »
There's probably a popular book to be written about the conjunction of the RRA, the 24 Hour Fellowship and the Various CTT 24's over the years. John Taylor did a very comprehensive history in 2009, which any serious student of the subject has. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hour-Story-1882-2008-Including-Descriptions/dp/0956202314
John's the father of Lynne, the holder of the record Jasmijm is challenging.

The RRA had two heydays, the initial period, when 'Gentlemen' dominated cycling records, and the commercial period, when manufacturers needed advertising. Road Records were the only arena for professional cyclists in the UK, and the big makers retained teams to go out and get records.

The public were knowledgable, and you couldn't go out and make up your own record. It had to be an existing one, in order to be broken. The RRA became the keeper of the records that mattered to the Public and the Press.

Later, the fastest riders in 12 and 24 Hour Time Trials got the LEJOG, and other records. They are still the Gold standard.

Since the arrival of the internet, other forms of long distance cycling have gained in profile. The 24 Hour and RRA cognoscenti like to be able to calibrate the performance of riders across disciplines. The best way of doing that is for riders to do the 24, or maybe even LEJOG. A big regret is that Mike Hall never did the 24. Ultan Coyle is one who crossed the disciplines, and could be said to be a throwback to the Raleigh professionals. Jasmijn is doing a grand job in extending the tradition of women in these rides.

What I'd like to see is Anco de Jong at the Mersey Roads, and Andy Wilkinson do a long Audax. Andy rides tri-bars, so LEL is the likeliest.

One thing to bear in mind is that if it becomes apparent that the record won't be broken, the observers pull out. The aspirant can then go on, in order to get a time, but the RRA is not interested in that. So you don't start an attempt if the weather isn't right.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #19 on: 06 September, 2017, 12:08:56 pm »
She hits 100 miles at just under 5 hours, which puts her maybe a couple of miles ahead of schedule.  :thumbsup:

Assuming she keeps it up, her first record to break is the 24 hour, for which she's aiming at 470 miles "targeted to be achieved at roundabout where A6 and B6263 meet just south of Carlisle".

« Reply #20 on: 06 September, 2017, 01:20:17 pm »
An interesting point is that Christine Roberts holds both the RRA and the CTT 24 Hour records.

Bairn Again

« Reply #21 on: 06 September, 2017, 02:25:05 pm »
Keeping an eye on this to see if theres scope to ride out from work at lunchtime tomorrow and cheer her on near Newbridge, about 2 miles from work and just south of the Forth Road Bridge

« Reply #22 on: 07 September, 2017, 12:21:22 am »
Just had three of the team in a camper van round to pick up a visor, that Aidan f had me going down to Ribble Cycles for. I don't know if it will be any use, as they only had the tinted one. Central Lancashire is the epicentre of cycling retail, with Ribble, Merlin and Paul Hewitt in one small area. If you can't get a TT or road bike part here, you can't get it anywhere.

I'm off to do a hedgelaying job in a place called Lamanca, just before Whim, on the A701, in the morning. So I might do some filming on the Devil's Beeftub. The only other occasion I've been there was from home, on , 's Edinburgh Preston Edinburgh ride. Dave filmed there on LEL 2013 and 2017. He doesn't like the sightlines.

« Reply #23 on: 07 September, 2017, 06:34:11 am »
She seems to be stuck in Standish.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24 on: 07 September, 2017, 06:37:34 am »
She seems to be stuck in Standish.

I was getting a bit concerned about her tracker not moving an hour ago but hoped it was an electronic problem, rather than reality. Nothing recent on her Twitter either, so not looking good. She is currently about half an hour down on schedule.

Edit (2 minutes ago) - Morning all. Jas is safe, and has stopped for a rest near Chorley. The crew are with her and we'll update you soon