Author Topic: Race to the Rock  (Read 1692 times)

Race to the Rock
« on: 05 September, 2017, 03:50:13 pm »
https://www.curvecycling.com.au/pages/race-to-the-rock-2017

Sadly only 8 riders - I gather there were not many entrants and some were not allowed to compete (the race organisers imposed 'fit to compete criteria' in the interests of safety).

It is a heck of a race - Sarah Hammond, who has one previously and was riding in a close 3rd in the indipac, is storming in the lead.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Race to the Rock
« Reply #1 on: 05 September, 2017, 05:02:16 pm »
Wasn't Sarah Hammond actually the only finisher last year?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 05 September, 2017, 06:11:40 pm »
I'm pretty sure some others finished
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3 on: 05 September, 2017, 06:26:46 pm »
I think others reached the finish but had taken lifts on trucks to get there. (I mean they DNFed not cheated!)
The 2016 event had just one finisher, Sarah Hammond, who arrived at Uluru in just a little over eight days. As of this publication, Sarah is the only rider to finish the route in its entirety. Hence the unofficial slogan: the race so difficult no man has ever finished. Or as Jesse Carlsson put it, “The race is so difficult that it has only ever been completed by a woman.” This year, of the seven riders in the event there is one South African and one female (Sarah Hammond).
http://www.bikepacking.com/plog/race-to-the-rock/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4 on: 05 September, 2017, 06:31:43 pm »
Somewhere someone linked to the blog of an entrant last year. I can't remember where I read it now, but it was really tough. Big problems with flooding last year; Sarah Hammond managed to get through the flooded section before the road became totally impassable and that seems to be why she was the only finisher. Perhaps they'll have less severe weather this year.

« Reply #5 on: 06 September, 2017, 08:10:55 am »
Ah, I thought you meant the indipac.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 13 September, 2017, 03:57:30 pm »
No huge surprise I guess, Sarah Hammond went to the lead straight away and led to the finish. She says it was the hardest race yet and her arse is broken.
<i>Marmite slave</i>