Author Topic: Fitbit Surge issues  (Read 1451 times)

Fitbit Surge issues
« on: 10 September, 2017, 08:52:05 pm »
I bought a fitbit Surge when it was new out and used it for several months straight as a tracker 24/7. I stopped using it as that because it caused a reaction to my wrist where the strap was, looks like I've scalded myself where the strap was.

Since then I used it for awhile got exercise only as hrm. Then I stopped using it.

A week ago I took it out and tried to charge it so I could use it again. It wouldn't charge. I reset it and did all the actions their online help suggested.

So I emailed customer support with it. They concentrated on the reaction to the strap and honestly said that was more important than the charging issues (which I believe is due to the dodgy charging socket). They offered a refund for what I paid for it. Since I'm not in USA they'll not insist on me sending it back but will accept photographic evidence of me destroying it. Basically I have to cut through the strap on both sides, photograph it and send the photograph to them with a reference and details. They'll send me a pre-paid mastercard for what I paid for it.

The thing is it started charging again and I've been using it. I I'm not sure about cutting through the strap before getting a refund. Is it for real? Would you cut it through before getting a refund?

If I get the refund I could put the money towards their new model out the ionic. Mind you it's £120 more than the surge cost me I think so perhaps I'll not get it.

Re: Fitbit Surge issues
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2017, 09:02:13 pm »
I've no experience of Fitbits, but a quick Google suggests replacement straps are readily available and cost much less than the unit itself. Surely they'd want you to destroy the actual unit, rather than just the strap? That seems odd...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2017, 09:41:50 pm »
Surely they'd want you to destroy the actual unit, rather than just the strap? That seems odd...

And risk starting a battery fire (however small and boring)?  Not likely.

« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2017, 11:52:47 pm »
The email focussed on the allergic reaction (that is similar to an earlier, more basic fitbit that IIRC got taken off the shelves or stopped being made). It went straight into that matter but early on mentioned it before going back into the offer for a refund and the mechanism for that refund.

When I bought the fitbit surge it was sold as having fixed straps that could not be changed. The blaze has interchangable straps as does a few of the more basic fitbit units. Looking on the fitbit community pages that is made clear that they are part of the unit.

I think the battery is ok but the charging cable plug and the socket on the watch are not very good. You have to make sure the plug is in the watch socket when you put the watch down. If you are not careful the plug comes slightly out. With a micro USB plug there are little spring bars on one side which hold the plug in very securely. This plug has something similar but it is not going into the socket as far as a micro USB plug does so I think this means there is less to grip on. Whatever the case I think when I had the charging issue I was not ensuring the plug was fully in. It looked connected but was not. I guess I will need to be more careful with the cable or accept this refund offer.

Which would you do, accept the refund by destroying the watch in blind faith they will honour the offer or live with the issues?

« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2017, 12:03:13 am »
Is the offer of a refund in writing (well, email)?

Is the offer of a refund from Fitbit themselves or from the retailer?

If it's from the retailer, is it from someone with a substantial presence and reputation (John Lewis, Dixons, Amazon, that sort of thing), or is it from Fred's Fitness Fings, an ebay outlet with a feedback score of 3?

(Yes, I know those are a bit rhetorical because you've given the detail in your post, but given you've got a written offer of a refund from Fitbit, do you really think it's likely that they're going to renege on it? If you are unhappy enough with it to want your money back, then I'd be surprised if you had any difficulty taking their offer at face value.)

« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2017, 08:47:48 am »
Email address is fitbit-support at fitbit dot command so looks OK. It's sign off is a name followed by "and the fitbit team" which is a typical American customer support sign off.

There is one bit that concerns me. They ask for a lot of personal details including date of birth. All the nice bits of information fraudsters probably find most helpful.

How can you be sure if they ask for irrelevant information. I mean they don't need DOB for a return / refund. BTW the DOB is in my fitbit account, not that customer services should have access to that info anyway.

TBH it looks real but asks for worrying information. Plus if it is fraudulent and I suffer fraud in some way the cream on the top is I've put the watch beyond use. TBH how much to post a watch to America? Also, they don't have a UK based repair shop / contract to check  or repair units?

I think I don't trust this email enough to follow its instructions. I'll keep it and if it plays up replace with a Garmin or other unit from another brand.

Does the DOB thing ring alarm bells with you?

« Reply #6 on: 11 September, 2017, 01:05:11 pm »
Yebbut, *you* initiated the contact.

You got in touch to say the thing was causing trouble, and you've got a coherent string of emails leading to the offer. I don't see where a fraudster would have leapt in.

Asking for DOB is unnecessary but unsurprising - it's the sort of thing that gets asked for.

« Reply #7 on: 11 September, 2017, 01:34:25 pm »
Why would DOB have any relevance. I've never had a warranty claim or any other claim that required a DOB in order for a refund to be made.

« Reply #8 on: 11 September, 2017, 01:57:46 pm »
Asking for DOB is unnecessary
Why would DOB have any relevance.

It isn't relevant.

It's the sort of thing that gets asked for by CS departments because they can, or because they want to distinguish you from any other TPMB12 who might make contact in the future, or because they want to check that it tallies with the info on your Fitbit account. But mostly because they can.

If you want the refund, give 'em the information.

If you want to make a point, challenge their reason for asking for it.

If you think it might be fraudulent and there is a risk of suffering fraud, either stop engaging with them now, or let Fitbit know (through a different channel) that you think their service is being abused.