Author Topic: Clip on mud guards  (Read 6349 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Clip on mud guards
« Reply #25 on: 18 September, 2017, 10:49:00 pm »
FWIW, I've only ever had mudguards rattle twice:

1) Pot-metal mudguard on BSO, having suffered a structural cheese failure.  Bodged with cable-ties, lasted the remainder of the life of the bike (a total of about 800 miles).
2) Perfectly good SKS Chromoplastic mudguard - that had given flawless service for about 21,000 miles - jettisoned a stay bolt and started making horrible buzzing noises after a couple of hours exposure to Dutch cyclepaths.  Fixed at the roadside with my emergency backup M6 nylock, no further issues.

Make of that what you will, but I reckon rattling is a non-problem to a competent fettler, especially if there's some sort of quick-release thing going on and causing them to get regular inspection.  More common mudguard issues are full guards getting clogged with mud[1], and stays getting bent while parking the bike, causing them to rub on the tyre.

[1] See previous comment about how quickly the comedy of off-roading on a Brompton wears thin.

« Reply #26 on: 19 September, 2017, 05:06:02 pm »

As an analogy I remember what London despatch riders used to say about panniers: "Throwovers" quickly become "fell-offs" . . .

Or "catch-fires". In my case having to do a Manchester in 3 1/2 hours from London on a Friday afternoon, involving filtering at 50mph through a good 40 miles of stationary traffic and finally getting a clear bit of road so giving it the beanz to make up time. Another courier who'd been in my mirror for a good few miles and i couldn't quite shake off, finally caught up and pointed to the back of my bike.  I thought he wanted a race but instead had been trying catch up to point out that my throwover had slipped onto the exhaust and I'd been tonning it along the M56 with my panniers on fire. Ah... Happy days!
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #27 on: 19 September, 2017, 06:56:24 pm »
My point exactly.  :thumbsup:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 19 September, 2017, 07:04:36 pm »
While I've experienced bicycle panniers falling off (hence my "no gravity-powered fixings" policy), I don't think I've ever had one catch fire.  Not trying hard enough, I know.

« Reply #29 on: 20 September, 2017, 12:35:09 pm »

Why would you ever need to detach them? Are you racing and commuting with this same bicycle?  In my humble opinion, permanent mudguards are way more efficient than clip-on mudguards. I saw quite a large sample of bikes with all sorts of mudguards during LEL. The bikes with permanent mudguards were significantly cleaner than all the others.

Simple: i don't like mud guards. I also don't like a wet arse on the days it rains.

That's a good reason, but...

The aesthetic and the rattle. I do off road, but when I'm doing that there's a saddle bag to act as a sacrificial anode...

properly fitted mudguards do not rattle. I think detachable mudguards are more likely to rattle than permanent ones.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #30 on: 20 September, 2017, 03:31:47 pm »

properly fitted mudguards do not rattle. I think detachable mudguards are more likely to rattle than permanent ones.

indeed, and if they rattle for some reason it can be easily fixed. what helps to keep the bike clean is the front mudflap almost reaching the floor. trying to think how can i make it neat and easily detacheable.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #31 on: 23 October, 2017, 11:04:29 pm »

Thanks everyone for your replies. Turns out the bike frame I have doesn't have the fixings necessary for fitting mudguards. So I've gone for a set of crud road racer MKIII. Hopefully these will keep the worst of the gunk off me, whilst being easy enough to remove when I feel like comedy off roading...

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #32 on: 23 October, 2017, 11:21:31 pm »
I've used these on a bike with large tyres albeit permanently mounted using the optional stays (the bike in question has no brake bridges)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks-velo-42-urban-mudguard-set/rp-prod68582
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #33 on: 24 October, 2017, 12:53:20 pm »
BTW the whole question is predicated on the notion that full mudguards don't come on and off the bike quickly. I'm not sure this is the case; for some years I had a set that would come on and off the bike (using wing nuts and so forth) in a couple of minutes. In this case it was so that the bike could be knocked down for transport but the same scheme could be used for other reasons too.
BITD, it used to be fairly common for riders to turn up at the start of the club 10 with saddlebag, mudguards, and race wheels in carriers,  change over to race mode before the start, and change back for the ride home afterwards.

With mudguards, there would have been a bolt (head inwards) and wingnut at the dropout, and thin nut/locknut and wingnut on the end of the brake bolts.

Problem Solvers sell long allen nuts that are threaded on the inside for use with allen fitting brakes, and wing bolts exist but aren't common.
The only problem is likely to be losing the wing bolts whilst the mudguards are off the bike.

If there are no bolt fittings at the dropout, you can get fittings that clamp under the QR. Obviously, there's no wing bolt required in this case.

« Reply #34 on: 25 October, 2017, 08:53:31 am »
These have just turned up on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/236528337/quickguard-full-length-bicycle-mudguard/

Only problem is they probably won't start delivering until summer next year

« Reply #35 on: 25 October, 2017, 10:13:50 am »
Problem Solvers sell long allen nuts that are threaded on the inside for use with allen fitting brakes, and wing bolts exist but aren't common.
The only problem is likely to be losing the wing bolts whilst the mudguards are off the bike.

you can convert an ordinary bolt to a 'wing bolt' by threadlocking/locknutting/welding a wing nut to it.  Wing nuts are available in stainless steel in either toolstation or screwfix, I forget which.

An 'elastic band' (or two) cut from an old inner tube can be looped around the wing nut and used to retain it when the mudguards are not in use.

A good alternative to special 'fender nuts' is to convert the brakes to nut fitting using a replacement centre bolt. SJS and Spa sell the correct centre bolt to fit the most common types of DP calipers.

cheers