Author Topic: 2018 North Yorkshire Brevets Unpopulaire  (Read 25747 times)

2018 North Yorkshire Brevets Unpopulaire
« on: 26 September, 2017, 11:18:00 pm »
Good folks of yacf, I'd like to invite you all to either of my offroad audaxes from Newby Wiske on Saturday 28/04/18.

You read that right - as if one brevet unpopulaire wasn't enough, there are now two brevets unpopulaire.

Don't Keep to the Road is 100-anna-bit kms, with the usual mix of bastard hills, offroad climbs and descents, abandoned railways, hidden valleys, forestry trails and pubs. But one less pub this year as I've decided the control at Hawnby isn't required. You can still stop there for a pint, of course.

Moor Gravel Forever is the same loop, but with an extra loop farther into the Moors making it up to 100 miles. More gravel. More hills. A lovely cafe in Lealholm.

There's free camping* and food at the start and finish, and an all-night after-ride party. I think we eventually went to bed at 4 am last year - with the 300 on the same day, I'm hoping riders on the 150 will be finishing at around the same time as riders on the 300. It'll be a great atmosphere - it was last year.

Both events have a minimum speed of 10 kph.

Don't Keep to the Road on RWGPS: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25648476
Moor Gravel on RWGPS: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24209276

* It really is free, but I'll almost certainly wave a charity tin in the direction of anyone camping, cos the start/finish is my mate's farm, and all proceeds from the ride will go to a charity of his choice. No obligation though.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: 2018 North Yorkshire Brevets Unpopulaire
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2017, 11:28:17 pm »
What, you mean you didn't call the long one "Moor unpopulaire than ever"?  I'm shocked.

« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2017, 08:06:41 am »
Sounds great.

Not for me though - I'd hate to chip the paintwork on the Pashley...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2017, 09:38:36 am »
Aw g'wan Wobbly, a Pashley would make a great addition to the variety of machines that went round last year. (See arrivee)
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2017, 09:43:30 am »
That DrMekon glance-of-shame back to see if you're watching him get off is tremendous  :thumbsup:. Didn't prevent him winning thobut!

Don't forget to send me the GPX of the 100 miler for us to play with! Don't worry, found it.

SoreTween

« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2017, 09:58:20 am »
Don't forget to send me the GPX of the 100 miler for us to play with!
I'd appreciate that sooner rather than later too. There's at most 6 cycle.travel updates between now and the ride to fill in any missing bits. I copy the route onto c.t as I need a tcx (and I'm too tight to pay for rwgps)

« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2017, 10:24:36 am »
Looking forward to this, from what Mike was saying it sounds like a cracking event.
MTB or gravel bike though? 100 miles on the moors on a gravel/ cross bike might be a bit harsh on my back.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2017, 10:38:59 am »
I'm in, again, as I have unfinished business with the 100k
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2017, 10:43:14 am »
Looking forward to this, from what Mike was saying it sounds like a cracking event.
MTB or gravel bike though? 100 miles on the moors on a gravel/ cross bike might be a bit harsh on my back.

The usual tradeoff applies - Comfort vs Speed. The rougher parts will be easier with a mountain bike, the road parts (which is most of the ride(s), to be fair) will be faster with CX. I've only just recently got a mountain bike; part of the plan over the winter is to compare and contrast CX/MTB on t'Moor.

SoreTween

« Reply #9 on: 27 September, 2017, 10:43:53 am »
On the DKttR part of it there is only one descent that is distinctly mtb country, the one to Cockayne.  We certainly made up time there last year as we flew down it on ours, very  ;D  The rest a gravel bike is as suitable as an mtb, Mr Bond and I will be on gravel bikes next year.  Decide on comfort/time grounds not surface.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10 on: 27 September, 2017, 10:44:55 am »
Hmmmm, I'm planning to do the Scottish 1000 on 31st May... wonder what are the chances of being able to stop off in Yorkshire on the way northwards to do this one as well...

Might need to take two bikes though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #11 on: 27 September, 2017, 10:50:34 am »
Hmmmm, I'm planning to do the Scottish 1000 on 31st May... wonder what are the chances of being able to stop off in Yorkshire on the way northwards to do this one as well...

Might need to take two bikes though.

You're spending a month in Scotland :o

These rides are on the 28th of April :)

« Reply #12 on: 27 September, 2017, 10:52:00 am »
Don't forget to send me the GPX of the 100 miler for us to play with!
I'd appreciate that sooner rather than later too. There's at most 6 cycle.travel updates between now and the ride to fill in any missing bits. I copy the route onto c.t as I need a tcx (and I'm too tight to pay for rwgps)

I'll add links to the rides on RWGPS above and update the calendar page (sorry, meant to do it last night) - you can, of course, just download the vanilla GPX for nowt. I've added some extras, but they're not really necessary.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #13 on: 27 September, 2017, 10:55:30 am »
These rides are on the 28th of April :)

Doh! Must drink more coffee before making complex plans...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #14 on: 27 September, 2017, 11:32:01 am »
I'll book the time in my calendar. Perhaps the 100 miler this year - back on the Yellow Peril (gravel bike for those that haven't seen it).

Looking forward already.

Mike

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #15 on: 27 September, 2017, 11:46:13 am »
There ya go, Moor Gravel list christened, so you've got to run it now...

Ulp! MTB or FatBike, decisions decisions ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #16 on: 27 September, 2017, 01:45:45 pm »
On the DKttR part of it there is only one descent that is distinctly mtb country, the one to Cockayne.  We certainly made up time there last year as we flew down it on ours, very  ;D  The rest a gravel bike is as suitable as an mtb, Mr Bond and I will be on gravel bikes next year.  Decide on comfort/time grounds not surface.

There's not much that's really rough on the extra loop in the 100 - one bridleway section in Fryupdale, but you can detour round it on the road very easily.  Not that you should - it's fabulous.

The other offroad bits on the extra loop are all gravelly tracks. I'll add some photos.

snail

• Inch by inch.
« Reply #17 on: 27 September, 2017, 01:46:31 pm »
If it's any help for bike choice, I rode the "adventure cross" in Galloway a few years ago - not an audax, but long, hilly and a mix of on and off road (gravelly) with one tiny MTB section. I was writing it up for a magazine and interviewed people afterwards, asking, "what bike did you do it on, and was that the right choice?"

No matter if they rode on a CX, a MTB, some kind of in-between hybrid, of whatever combination of tyres/pressures/bars/frames - everyone said THEIR bike was the right one.

So that answers that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18 on: 27 September, 2017, 02:36:25 pm »
The bike you're riding is always better than the bike unridden.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #19 on: 27 September, 2017, 02:38:19 pm »
Thanks for all the advice - I've done the Moors and Shores adventure cross and the Yorkshire Grit events; The Moors and Shores I did on MTB and thought afterwards that i should have used CX/ gravel, I did the Grit on CX and thought afterwards that I should have taken a MTB.

Guess the grass is always greener on the other side  :)

I suppose it will really come down to the on/off road ratio and the weather beforehand.

« Reply #20 on: 27 September, 2017, 02:56:54 pm »
Forget the Yorkshire True Grit. It's nowhere near as offroady as that. 30-40% offroad.

Loads of photos from last year are in the current Arrivee, or on last year's thread: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=100815.0

« Reply #21 on: 27 September, 2017, 03:06:29 pm »
I quite fancy this, may do it on my Dawes Galaxy Touring bike, which of course I now refer to it as my gravel bike, or was it adventure bike, oh hang on it's a bikepacking bike now!

I'll call it the red one! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #22 on: 27 September, 2017, 03:08:09 pm »
It's not a proper Dawes Galaxy unless it's BRG.

« Reply #23 on: 27 September, 2017, 03:16:04 pm »
It's not a proper Dawes Galaxy unless it's BRG.

Yes, you are correct, it's a World Tour version I have.

Guess this will be suitable for this ride? Did enjoy reading the write up in latest Arrivee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #24 on: 27 September, 2017, 03:18:35 pm »
I reckon you'll be fine.

...But then I would say that, wouldn't I? ;D