Author Topic: Usb chargers, 1 amp and 2 amp output  (Read 4795 times)

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
Re: Usb chargers, 1 amp and 2 amp output
« Reply #25 on: 09 October, 2017, 08:58:55 am »
'tis temperature that is the problem for li-on batteries (when talking about total battery longevity). Keeping voltage down is the solution to that - but charging at high current from a low charge point will get the battery hot, just as using a high voltage will make it hot.

So a really smart charging system will vary the current and voltage - go high for a bit, back off, high for a bit, etc. Best to have a wall-wart supply (or USB3.0 socket) that can keep up with the demand.

Just ramming in current as fast as possible isn't the best thing.

My nexus definitely had an advantage over other makes when it came to lack of software bloat - the vanilla android pushed out by Google was relatively 'clean'. Battery totally died before phone became slow, after about 2.5 years.

Temperature is definitely an issue but modern phones have temp sensors in the battery so I'd assume that data is fed into the controller.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #26 on: 09 October, 2017, 10:08:45 am »
Owner of a languishing Langster

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #27 on: 09 October, 2017, 04:41:26 pm »
What that 2-year old site appears to be saying is that Li-polymer is just marketing-speak and people like me or you don't have to worry our little heads about it because it all works just the same to the end user.

I feel a bit patronised.  :(   I think I prefer Wikipedea on the subject.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll