Author Topic: Magazine covers  (Read 1096 times)

Magazine covers
« on: 08 October, 2017, 03:29:27 pm »
A spin-off from the magazines in doctors' waiting rooms and book cover art threads... Is there anything[/i] to compare with the magnificence of J Campbell Kerr's artwork for the Peoples' Friend?

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Magazine covers
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2017, 03:43:31 pm »
I always used to take a sneaky look at the covers of 'top shelf' magazines when I was a teenager.

« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2017, 03:25:02 pm »
My mum was a regular reader of People's Friend and the artwork of J Campbell Kerr was always lying around the coffee table or settee at home.

What I didn't realise, was that J Campbell Kerr is a pseudonymic collective of artists, currently numbering four, who all paint under that name.  I feel slightly cheated  :o

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2017, 03:45:19 pm »
I had to google both the magazine and the artist. Having done so, I recognize the title and its distinctive cover art. The covers do not entice me to the magazine.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2017, 08:30:00 am »
I have never read it.  My (Scottish) grandmother used to read it - in my head I assume to this day that it's only read by Scottish grandmothers.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2017, 09:38:32 am »
Like this, you mean? https://youtu.be/CGIejhpbWOw

(To answer the question properly, I remember People's Friend - although I never read it myself, I used to deliver it regularly to one of the houses on my paper round, back when I was a spotty oik teenager. The covers did have a certain distinctive style to them. Not that it ever tempted me to look inside and find out more.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."