Author Topic: Single male needs suggestions on what to do during 24 hours in Amsterdam  (Read 2351 times)

Hi,

I will be landing in Amsterdam at 9am on Thursday morning in November.   My work meeting isn't until 9am the next day (nailed it!).   Im staying in a nice hotel right next to the Grande Central Station

Looking for suggestions (apart from the obvious) on what to do?  Its always a bit awkward sightseeing alone and I quite fancy a trip to Amsterdam with my partner at some point so I don't really want to tick off the normal tourist route without her.

I am really looking for suggestions of busy "cafes", bars or eateries with good atmosphere.  Art galleries or museum might be good.   Anything that isn't the RLD, Ann Frank, Van Gogh, Heineken ect.

My current plan is to check in and go for a short run around the city if the weather is ok - looks like a good 10k route in a semi circle around the canals from my hotel.   Any nice parks or walks  I could try and work into my route?

Any suggestions welcome!  Within reason.....

Vondelpark was always popular with runners & skaters when I was last there.     Just walking around the canal ring is very pleasant in nice weather.   Ages since I've been & if you don't want to do the big museums on this trip perhaps best just to gently bar / café hop. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Do you need a set plan?

Amsterdam will probably have a hire bike scheme. Get one and cycle round until you spot a road that looks interesting and then follow that.

Nick a map from the hotel so you can find your way back.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Hi. I live in the Netherlands, but don't visit Amsterdam that much.

I would recommend the Church in the Attic  https://www.opsolder.nl/en
An absolutely fascinating place.  (And yes, I know what area it is in!).  In addition the the church angle, the houses show what ordinary life was liek in Amsterdam at that time.
Including the big rope which went down to hoist bales of cloth etc. from the canals.

I visited the Rembrandt House, which I honestly found disappointing.
The Dutch Resistance Museum is supposed to be very good https://www.verzetsmuseum.org/museum/en/museum
There is the Museum of Cat Art (not visited)

I guess another thing to do is go on a canal boat tour.
I would have a stroll round the canals, a nice area is aropund the Spui square.

ps. It gets cold and wet here. Bring a decent coat.

ps. A note on Dutch public transport.  Everyoen has an OvChipkaart, which is an electronic card which you charge with money.
All forms of transport take the card (except I guess canal boats).
When you arrive at Schipol, go ask at the information desk for a Chipkaart. In fact, the ticket machine will sell you one. there is an 8 Euro deposit on the card.
You use that card to pay for the train journey into Centrall. Then you can use it on trams and buses round the city.
Remember to touch in AND touch out on every trip. There are touch machines at the door of every bus and tram, and on the pillars just before you go down the escalators to the train at Schipol.

At the end of the trip either bring the card back to the ticket office at Schipol or keep for the next trip.

great stuff!  Thanks very much.

Probably something for when you do the "full" trip, the Iamsterdam card is great value https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/i-am/i-amsterdam-city-card as it includes travel, and all the museums you can eat, along with a canal trip, although IMO, the 72h is better value than the 24 hour, which you would have to work hard at to get full value.

Go and see a film in the Tuschinski theatre. Very art deck. Make sure it is screen 1.

Go for a wander around the Jordaan. Cafe Proust is pleasant.

Have an Indonesian meal (research a decent place), or indeed a surinamese.

I can vouch for the Indonesian meal - Albeit in Rotterdam and not Amsterdam - One of the best I've ever enjoyed.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
in the evening take the first ferry on the left (I think) over to the BOTEL.  As you get near yoou'll see a sort of 'wreck bar' on your right, made out of steel containers.  (thats   if its open) Its got its own sandy beach with open fires , simple but good food, live music, upstairs seating,  it is a wicked place to get bladdered. Bit like 'Bata Town' in Mad Max 3. Ferrys are free anyway. Land by botel then walk  to the right and look far the tall crane.  Good luck.

There is an interesting site called With Locals

It is expensive (I think) but it does give some ideas for unusual places to visit and things to do

The other advice I have been given is to avoid the big cycle hire companies. Like most cities Amsterdam has an unfortunate group who prey on tourists and these liveried bikes mark you as a tourist

thanks everyone

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Go on a food tour.
If you are into decent beer (not bloody Heineken) there are a few nice craft beer bars around - Arends Nest is excellent tho small and busy, or you could get on the ferry to the Oedipus brewery taphouse.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
We went to the Kattenkabinett (cat art museum). It was ok but it's not massive. There was a live cat there for the stoking though.

I found the Van Gogh musuem disappointing and infuriatingly rammed. It also doesn't have the painting I actually wanted to see.

Go on a food tour.
If you are into decent beer (not bloody Heineken) there are a few nice craft beer bars around - Arends Nest is excellent tho small and busy, or you could get on the ferry to the Oedipus brewery taphouse.

Beer Tasting Room Arendsnest looks great!
I think I am leaning towards a relaxed run around the city.  Followed by a craft beer, cafe and food tour.
Thanks for the recommendations so far - I am looking into some of them and will report back!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Hungry Birds was the food tour co we used. Very good.

Re: Single male needs suggestions on what to do during 24 hours in Amsterdam
« Reply #16 on: 02 November, 2017, 11:53:44 am »
I like the Paradiso for live music

https://www.paradiso.nl/en/