Author Topic: Using BT set top box with different broadband provider  (Read 1063 times)

Using BT set top box with different broadband provider
« on: 27 November, 2017, 02:24:40 pm »
Hi all

I’m thinking of switching from BT to Zen for broadband + phone. I have a BT Youview box. If I was to switch to Zen, what happens when I connect the Zen router to my set top box? Will access to the iPlayer app remain as it is and will I be able to record programmes as I do now? As far as I can tell, those services should be ok but I’ll will no longer have 7-day catchup. I just wanted to check.

Thanks!

Re: Using BT set top box with different broadband provider
« Reply #1 on: 27 November, 2017, 02:57:37 pm »
Your ISP has no effect on the YouView box's ability to receive and record Freeview programmes, or the Freeview guide. As long your new ISP's broadband speed is up to streaming, none of the YouView apps (iPlayer, Netflix, etc) will be affected either.

Such a switch will break other BT YouView services, though – HD channels for certain 'free' channels and BT's own channels. I'm not sure if these are dependent on BT as an ISP (they probably are), but they are certainly dependent on using a BT Home Hub for the particular way in which they're streamed – more on that here: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport-on-the-Box/BT-Sport-on-youview-with-3rd-party-router/td-p/940606

FWIW, I use a non-subscription YouView box for Freeview, iPlayer and Netflix, with no issues.

Re: Using BT set top box with different broadband provider
« Reply #2 on: 27 November, 2017, 04:42:19 pm »
Thanks Adlopa. I may end up just getting a non-subscription box, if needed. I think I’ll probably go ahead - my BT bill has gradually crept up to a level at which it would be daft to stay with them.