Author Topic: Olympic Park Velodrome  (Read 3191 times)

Olympic Park Velodrome
« on: 17 January, 2018, 05:38:12 pm »
Next week my wife and I are spending a few days in London and are thinking about having a look at the Olympic Velodrome. Does anyone know if it is possible to have a tour or go in as a visitor on Monday evening? I cannot find any specific information on the website.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Re: Olympic Park Velodrome
« Reply #1 on: 17 January, 2018, 06:21:27 pm »
As I understand it, it's basically open to the public - certainly the cafe and seated areas - at all times other than when there are paying events on (like the 5-day).  I've been in a few times after using the road track & sat & watched the training & taster sessions.

As to getting tours of the back-stage areas I don't know but am sure such things exist.  Poor marketing if they're not easily found on the website.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2018, 10:00:55 am »
There isn’t much to see. If there is no event on, go in by the main door and up the stairs to the seating area where there is a cafe where you can sit and watch whatever is going on (tasters, club sessions, training). To the right of the reception desk is the door to the track centre, you pass changing rooms and lockers on your way. The commentary box is just a room overlooking the stands which is full computers when there is an event on, otherwise it’s empty. There used to be a bicycle shop there but it closed.

There are a few other things to see at the Olympic Park including the overpriced Mittal helter-skelter.

Then go to Westfield Stratford for some shopping and a large selection of eateries.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2018, 12:39:16 pm »
There are a few other things to see at the Olympic Park including the overpriced Mittal helter-skelter.

And Blue Badge tour guides leading walking tours if that's your thing, I haven't been on one, but have seen them advertised.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2018, 10:17:06 am »
I did a 'taster' session on Saturday at 7pm and it was great. Haven't ridden a fixed since I was about 8 years old, so it was an odd mixture of excitement and nervousness – and great to have that mixture about getting on a bike, which is never the case nowadays. The sessions are for 16 people in the group, and you're taken through a period explaining how to ride – technique like slowing down, getting on and off the track, so the actual time whizzing round the track is probably half an hour or so, I'd say.

The steepest part of the track looks daunting (at 42 degrees) but you soon learn you have to produce "more power Igor!", to get round it the higher you go.

The bikes are from Condor, and the shoe cleats for clip-ins need to be Look Keo. If you don't have them don't worry, they have cleated shoes you can use or, if you're wearing trainers, they have cages-with-straps that sort of 'clip-on' the Keo pedals.

Would I do it again? Yes. It's obviously more fun if you're with a couple of mates though.

I did 'forget' to keep peddling a couple of times, but fortunately when cycling round the track at a sedate pace, but the sudden jolt soon makes you buck your ideas up!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2018, 05:04:28 pm »
Thanks for the replies and information. My wife and I paid an enjoyable visit on Monday evening and were able to have a good look around. Next time in London I hope to do a taster session I have the details.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #6 on: 02 February, 2018, 04:33:39 pm »
Just booked in for the stage 1 session for track accreditation.  4 sessions in all - total cost £130 inc. bike hire which seems very reasonable for 7 hours of track time.  Looking forward to it  ;D

« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2018, 08:35:02 pm »
If you forget to pedal above sedate pace I can personally vouch you may need some extra hardware to hold your shoulder on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: 02 February, 2018, 08:43:33 pm »
One of my shoulders is narked anyway so some metalwork may help  ;)

« Reply #9 on: 15 February, 2018, 04:14:23 pm »
Well that was fantastic fun  ;D 

Level 1 accreditation session and a mixed ability group of 12.  Unlike almost all the others I've never ridden a fixed before so was somewhat nervous. There are no hoods on these track bikes so that all took a while to get used to - you are basically on the narrow tops whilst getting up speed/slowing down and on the drops for all the rest of the time.  I kept on trying to find the hoods as that's where I do 90% of my riding.

Within 20 minutes we were edging up the banking and after 40 mins were doing laps at the top.  The main thing to get used to is having to accelerate into the corners if going up the bank.  The only sketchy moments were when in a bunch and the riders in front weren't really going fast enough and there was only just enough speed to keep you pinned to the bank.

Riding solo was hugely exhilarating. As soon as you realise speed is your friend then the fear subsides and it just becomes an intense, sweaty workout.

Safety is the most emphasised factor and shoulder checks are mandatory - the more the better.  Non-complience means failure.  Our group all passed and so can progress to level 2.  Can't wait!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 15 February, 2018, 04:19:22 pm »
As soon as you realise speed is your friend then the fear subsides and it just becomes an intense, sweaty workout you soon run out of oxygen.

FTFY :)

« Reply #11 on: 15 February, 2018, 04:26:30 pm »
As soon as you realise speed is your friend then the fear subsides and it just becomes an intense, sweaty workout you soon run out of oxygen.

FTFY :)

Yes, and that!  ;D

« Reply #12 on: 15 February, 2018, 05:54:29 pm »
I never got to the "fear subsides" bit - the fear just got worse. I failed my accred 2 and have no intention of ever trying again!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 15 February, 2018, 05:59:39 pm »
I never got to the "fear subsides" bit - the fear just got worse. I failed my accred 2 and have no intention of ever trying again!

It's more fun (and yet more terrifying) if you do it on a proper bike with a higher speed:oxygen ratio.  Requires a *very* cooperative velodrome and enough mental fortitude to resolve differential speed issues using orbital mechanics tactics rather than touching the brakes.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 15 February, 2018, 06:14:18 pm »
I raced on velodromes quite a lot a quarter century ago and it was the best form of racing. The strategy and tactics, repositioning yourself to be in the right place at the right time, bumping shoulders and heads, reading the racing and 'knowing' what was going to happen next, let alone the flat-out speed. Sweeping up and down the banking at 50+km/h never gets old.

Unfortunately it seems that every velodrome now has this accreditation process, it expires after a time and accreditation isn't even transferable between velodromes. Unless you live next door to a velodrome or can book daytime mid-week sessions, how do you manage to get through the entire accreditation process before you die of old age?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #15 on: 15 February, 2018, 07:31:28 pm »
Like you, I raced on track in the 70’s, a quick push and away you went. How things have changed!
I’m not sure about London but accreditation at Glasgow takes 4 sessions, and something similar at Manchester. And accreditation at one is transferable to the rest.

« Reply #16 on: 15 February, 2018, 08:47:22 pm »
Like you, I raced on track in the 70’s, a quick push and away you went. How things have changed!
I’m not sure about London but accreditation at Glasgow takes 4 sessions, and something similar at Manchester. And accreditation at one is transferable to the rest.

Sorry, they aren’t transferable between all tracks. Derby, for instance, might allow you to “ fast track” to a single , longer session, but it will not accept any other track’s accreditation completely. Equally, to keep accredited you need time on that specific track.
There was an attempt to pull it all together by someone at BC, but it failed because each track has a different “ owner”.

« Reply #17 on: 17 February, 2018, 02:07:57 pm »
Technically, you're right. If you have accreditation from London, Glasgow, Manchester, Derby or Newport and you have a UKIVA endorsement on your BC licence then you can be fast tracked through the accreditation process at one of the other tracks, not go through the whole process again, which is what I meant.

« Reply #18 on: 17 February, 2018, 05:27:38 pm »
There seems to be some mutual recognition between indoor velodromes now, but only for the first two stages.

(More useful to Londoners would be if Herne Hill and Lea Valley recognised each other at all, which they don't seem to in the slightest)