Author Topic: Riding in Ecuador?  (Read 1966 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Riding in Ecuador?
« on: 06 February, 2018, 12:25:56 pm »
I'll be working in Ecuador (south-west of Guayaquil) for 2-3 weeks, flying over before this weekend. Does anybody know of riding opportunities there?

I may need to do a 200 DIY there, as I am only a couple of months short of my third attempt on RRtY8. Hopefully I can get a day off sometime. I could take a bike but it might be easier to hire one.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: Riding in Ecuador?
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2018, 06:42:16 pm »
my understanding is that the main roads and roads around the capital and Guayaquil are liable to be busy but otherwise there is good scope for riding. The road network is being upgraded all the time so roads that were dirt roads a few years ago may no longer be.

I built a bike specifically for taking on odd jaunts like this; basically a folding steel-framed rigid MTB with 26" wheels, fitted with dropped handlebars and (usually) slick tyres.  Comfy/fast enough to ride all day on, strong enough to take a bit of treatment and to allow a bit of byway exploration.  You may be able to hire something suitable.

Have fun!

cheers

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2018, 10:42:47 pm »
Google Streetview suggests that the major roads near where I'll be working have big hardshoulders and not much traffic. The minor roads may still be dirt. It is rainy season there at the moment though, so dirt roads are off the menu.

I've had a S&S Audax bike since PBP99, so taking a bike is a bit of a hassle for just one ride. The 23kg checked luggage allowance gets a bit tight, when work stuff is included. It doesn't look like hire bikes are available in this part of the country.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2018, 01:48:41 pm »
Apparently my connecting flight was cancelled and now I'll be spending midday to midnight tomorrow in Madrid airport. That takes out any possibility of knocking over a February 200 DIY before my flight. Any suggestions of ways to occupy myself for half a day in Madrid airport?

Does anybody know of a cycling club in Guayaquil or nearby?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 10 February, 2018, 06:59:06 pm »
Now in the country and the paved roads seem decent enough for touring with robust road tyres. There was even a separate bikeway parallel to the main highway for most of the way from Guayaquil. I've seen a grand total of one sports store with bikes in the window. The only bikes being ridden are the very cheapest Chinese MTBs and single speed lumps of gaspipe.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 10 February, 2018, 07:21:56 pm »
Sounds like being a heck of an adventure :)

I suggest you buy the cheapest chinese bike the shop has and try to get your 200k done with that. Bonus points if you ask the bike shop for a route, and take no other means of nav with you.

(If short of time, phone in sick - long flights are well-known germ incubators.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 15 February, 2018, 06:42:25 pm »
I've seen two riders in Lycra so far (possibly the same bloke in different kit).

I think the nearest shop to buy a half-decent bike is about 100km away from where I am working but there is a shopping centre with a toy/ sports/ bike shop down the road. Hopefully I'll be able to finish up early enough to ride my own bike for a 200 perm in the UK, rather than buying a cheapie for just one ride here.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 25 February, 2018, 03:00:16 pm »
OK, the only two bikes in the shop that I could get the saddle high enough start at 590 USD. That is a little too high for just one ride. I couldn't convince the bloke to rent the bike for two days, regardless of the rental fee and he didn't know anybody who would consider buying the bike at a steep discount either. Wilson is a very helpful bloke though (offered to translate for me today).

Apparently there is a bicycle repair shop a couple of kilometers away and perhaps they have something that would work. https://goo.gl/maps/BXjnJ8f52YG2 If this (highly speculative foray) doesn't come off, that is RRtY down the drain for the third year in a row.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 25 February, 2018, 05:10:15 pm »
If this (highly speculative foray) doesn't come off, that is RRtY down the drain for the third year in a row.

I believe there is rather a nice badge for 10-in-a-row.

(suggestions on this thread, please  ;D  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 25 February, 2018, 05:27:37 pm »
It is still on for tomorrow, the last throw of the RRtY dice for me. Like Raleigh, it is an all-steel bicycle, except possibly the tyres, saddle and brake pads. Despite having a brand new 6sp freewheel and a cottered triple crank, without any gear levers, it is basically a single speed. If it holds together for one day, that is all I'm asking for. If I can finish before sunset, that would be good too.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 25 February, 2018, 06:36:27 pm »
Good luck with that! Interesting (maybe) that there is a bicycle leaning against the wall of the motorbike repair shop a couple of doors along from the bicycle place.
https://www.google.com.ec/maps/@-2.634133,-80.3872819,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxIJKALbNz-bWLo3fuBmvUw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 25 February, 2018, 06:39:05 pm »
I checked all sorts of places, no bikes for sale or rent in my size. This was my last chance. I aim to return the bike on Tuesday, hopefully my knees can cope with the bent pedal shafts/ cranks.

I did see a pair of Lycra lads (one on a Cervelo) while I was walking into town today. Since I don't understand Spanish, no chance to chat with them.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 25 February, 2018, 06:40:57 pm »
It is still on for tomorrow, the last throw of the RRtY dice for me. Like Raleigh, it is an all-steel bicycle, except possibly the tyres, saddle and brake pads. Despite having a brand new 6sp freewheel and a cottered triple crank, without any gear levers, it is basically a single speed. If it holds together for one day, that is all I'm asking for. If I can finish before sunset, that would be good too.
That sounds pretty good for 3pm* on a Sunday.

And you can sell the freewheel when you get home - quids in.  :thumbsup:

p.s. have you remembered to enter the German Ride?  I look forward to what outlandish machine you take on that.

*Yes I know LWAB is many hours behind us, but give me some poetic licence here ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 28 February, 2018, 02:38:10 pm »
Ride completed, not without some aches and pains (indeed cramps and swearing). I'd forgotten how hard it is to ride a rubbish bicycle that is too small. I'm looking forward to returning the beast (and never seeing it again), hopefully later today.

I'll enter the German ride when I get back to Auld Blighty. That'll probably be ridden on my Moulton, like most of my long European brevets. It is a much more civilised machine for long distances and easy to take on non-bike-friendly trains/ planes/ etc.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #14 on: 09 March, 2018, 04:17:53 pm »
well done for having managed it, it must have been brutal!