Author Topic: Iconoclasm  (Read 30381 times)

Re: Iconoclasm
« Reply #200 on: 20 March, 2018, 10:52:42 am »
I neither like nor dislike Marmite.
:o

I've never eaten Marmite. Or Vegemite.

I've never seen any of the Star wars films either.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #201 on: 20 March, 2018, 10:54:43 am »
I neither like nor dislike Marmite.
:o
I've never eaten Marmite. Or Vegemite.
I know, once you've tried Bovril there's no point eating any other brown spread  ;)

« Reply #202 on: 20 March, 2018, 11:47:28 am »
Anywhere outside Ireland that calls itself The Irish Bar is phoney, and nowhere in Ireland would bother since they're Irish to start with. But I've drunk half-decent house plonk in quite a few towns here. Basic rule is to ask what it is, and if it's Côtes du Rhône you're usually OK, to within a Gaviscon or two.

There was a lovely pub in York that was run by an Irish bloke and frequented by members of the local Irish diaspora. The the brewery got rid of him closed it down, refurbished it and opened it as an Irish themed pub complete with Guinness posters, and a fake Irish name.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #203 on: 20 March, 2018, 11:52:00 am »
Football is boring

Is that iconoclastic? Maybe for men? I have tried to see the point in football and just got very bored.

« Reply #204 on: 20 March, 2018, 12:03:42 pm »
Cricket is not a sport.

"The English are not a very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity." ~ G. B. Shaw

:demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #205 on: 20 March, 2018, 12:15:50 pm »
Football is boring

Is that iconoclastic? Maybe for men? I have tried to see the point in football and just got very bored.
The game is bad enough, but the histrionics of the ridiculously overpaid 'players' never ceases to amaze me whenever it's on in a pub.
During the England-Ireland rugby football match on Saturday ( :facepalm:) the match had to be stopped because an injured player needed to be taken off the pitch by the little buggy. Up until that moment the coach and doctor were attending the player on the pitch while the game carried on around them. They even have to have rules that a plyer MUST go off the pitch to be assessed for a head injury after a crashing of heads because players will continue to play until they get carried off. Association footballers roll about on the floor making a lot of noise if their pedicure gets threatened.

As for the way association footballers treat the referee, it's shameful.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #206 on: 20 March, 2018, 12:40:26 pm »
Football is boring

+1!

« Reply #207 on: 20 March, 2018, 12:43:13 pm »
I'd say it's iconoclastic in the sense that there is a lot of religiosity attached to football, with star players being practically venerated as living saints, rival teams and their players being ritually execrated, and so on. :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #208 on: 20 March, 2018, 12:56:31 pm »
Rugby would be just as bad as football if the players were paid as much as footballers get.

(Reminder, this is the Iconoclasm thread...)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #209 on: 20 March, 2018, 01:09:21 pm »
Maybe they should play to Aztec rules.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #210 on: 20 March, 2018, 01:35:39 pm »
All ballsports are boring, and many function as a shibboleth for toxic masculinity.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #211 on: 20 March, 2018, 01:41:28 pm »
Waterless urinals are crap
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #212 on: 20 March, 2018, 01:45:24 pm »

Deliberate wrong metaphor?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #213 on: 20 March, 2018, 03:02:35 pm »

Deliberate wrong metaphor?
I did think of saying that they were pointless, which they are at the moment because being out of use no one is pointing at them, but I decided that crap scanned better :)

« Reply #214 on: 20 March, 2018, 03:17:20 pm »
All sport is crap.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #215 on: 21 March, 2018, 03:18:39 pm »
All ballsports are boring, and many function as a shibboleth for toxic masculinity.
Talking of which, everyone else lives in a shithole.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #216 on: 21 March, 2018, 04:28:16 pm »
All sport is crap.

Cycling included.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #217 on: 22 March, 2018, 08:27:30 am »
Aye. Gone are the great days of Eddy Merckx, Felice Gimondi. Roger de Vlaeminck and the like.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #218 on: 22 March, 2018, 09:08:23 am »
All sport is crap.

Yes. Other people rushing about or playing games is just dull.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #219 on: 22 March, 2018, 10:48:54 am »
Aye. Gone are the great days of Eddy Merckx, Felice Gimondi. Roger de Vlaeminck and the like.
Indeed. Drug testing is much more sophisticated these days, though it has to be said, that doping is much more sophisticated as well.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #220 on: 25 March, 2018, 08:38:51 pm »
Cricket is not a sport.
Bzzzt!  The rules for what is and is not a sport were thoroughly discussed in Wows chess thread.  Nobody could improve upon the idea that if something can be done by a complete novice with an expert whispering in an ear piece what to do then it is not a sport. 
Chess, poker, Cluedo, monopoly - games.  NOT sport.
Where any kind of manual skill is required by the player at the event and no amount of hint giving in the ear can supplant manual dexterity and experience then it is a sport.
Snooker, darts, computer games, heck even tiddlywinks.  Sport.

So, could you or I as complete novices do as well as the any of the England team simply with Graeme Swann muttering 'hit it' in our ear?

Ah.

Cricket is not a sport.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #221 on: 25 March, 2018, 08:49:14 pm »
Cricket is not a sport.
Bzzzt!  The rules for what is and is not a sport were thoroughly discussed in Wows chess thread.  Nobody could improve upon the idea that if something can be done by a complete novice with an expert whispering in an ear piece what to do then it is not a sport. 

I missed that conclusion, but I like it.   :thumbsup:

Cricket is clearly a sport, and fulfils the important social function of confusing USAnians.

« Reply #222 on: 25 March, 2018, 10:05:20 pm »
There used to be a convention that sports were activities such as huntin', shootin' and fishin', and that activities involving balls were games.

They are all crap.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #223 on: 27 March, 2018, 12:02:36 am »
So, is Figure Skating a Sport or a Display of skill?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #224 on: 27 March, 2018, 12:24:20 am »
So, is Figure Skating a Sport or a Display of skill?

Both, if it's being done competitively.

I suppose the same applies to Eurovision.