Author Topic: Dynamo hub for a 20 inch wheel  (Read 2307 times)

Dynamo hub for a 20 inch wheel
« on: 27 March, 2018, 08:49:09 pm »
OK, so I've bagged a nice Hase Pino and I want to add lights.  My all time favourite hub dynamo is the SON 28 and there are currently five of these in the Bear-o-drome.  They are all non disk qr versions. One is not currently deployed.

I find myself in need of a 20 inch disk capable dynamo hub with 32 holes  (unless I buy a rim as well) and a 6 bolt disk requirement.  Again, I could buy an appropriately sized centrelock disk or a converter if required. 

My question is, SON Delux or something else?  If something else, what and why?

Re: Dynamo hub for a 20 inch wheel
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2018, 08:52:15 pm »
SP.... 'cause it is cheap?

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2018, 09:04:32 pm »
Is there an appropriate SP 20 inch dynamo hub with a qr axle?  My Google fu couldn't find one earlier.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2018, 09:07:01 pm »
I have a SON Delux on the Streetmachine and a Shutter Precision SD-8 (6-bolt) on the Baron.  They're functionally identical (though I've barely done 2000km on the Baron, and mostly in dry weather, so hardly a long-term test of reliability).  The SON Delux is Centerlock, so I had to use an adaptor to fit the 6-bolt[1] rotor (which also means you need a lockring tool to get at the spokes).  SON has spade connectors, vs the Shimano-style lego brick of the SP (I prefer the lego brick for roadside serviceability, but it's a minor concern).  The SON is better looking, and has Schmidt-quality engineering and a price tag to match.

There's also the Shimano Capreo hub, which I have on the Brompton.  Very much a budget option (akin to the DH-3 series), and seems quite draggy.  Would only recommend it as an alternative to battery lights, or for a utility bike that isn't being ridden far enough to justify the cost.

I've used a SON28 (designed for full sized wheels) in a 20" wheel before.  It works fine (indeed, you get a slightly increased output at low speed), but it's not an optimal arrangement (adds weight and drag), and something I'd only consider if it was parts that you had lying around.

[1] Yes, you could use a Centerlock rotor, but in the interests of compatibility, I've standardised on 6-bolt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2018, 09:07:53 pm »
Is there an appropriate SP 20 inch dynamo hub with a qr axle?  My Google fu couldn't find one earlier.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/sp-dynamo-sd8-disc-front-hub-for-20-inch-wheels-black-32-hole/

I bought mine from Bike24, because I needed the 28 hole version.

(It's generally preferred to use hex or security skewers with these.  Some people will say QRs aren't strong enough for disc brakes.  I say that doesn't matter, because not having your dynamo wheel nicked is a priority that renders the choice academic.)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 27 March, 2018, 09:09:17 pm »
Or a 1.5W Shimano hub. It will be probably give a similar output to a 3W dynamo in a larger wheel.
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-deore-xt-dh-t785-1d-disc-hub-dynamo/aid:742800

« Reply #6 on: 27 March, 2018, 09:09:44 pm »
standard SP generator will just produce a lot of power if you need it; enough to (easily) run two front lights in series, probably.

small wheeled model also available I think

cheers

« Reply #7 on: 27 March, 2018, 09:19:13 pm »

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/sp-dynamo-sd8-disc-front-hub-for-20-inch-wheels-black-32-hole/

I bought mine from Bike24, because I needed the 28 hole version.

Ah, excellent.  Thanks Kim.    :thumbsup:

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #8 on: 27 March, 2018, 11:02:49 pm »
All of my SMGTE's have had the SON hub on the 20" front, with disk brake and QR. No problems with any of them.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #9 on: 27 March, 2018, 11:41:02 pm »
I'm facing a similar issue on my Moulton, although I don't need to worry about a disk (unless I win the lottery and embark on a disk conversion). Think I'll go for a SP (SV-9 in this case) as I can't justify the extra £100 for a SON.

« Reply #10 on: 30 March, 2018, 08:28:53 pm »
I have a shimano of some discription on my disc-braked tandem.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #11 on: 13 April, 2018, 08:00:38 pm »
A search though the Classifieds hasn't turned up anything suitable so does anybody have a suitable hub lurking for a 20 inch wheel and disk brakes before I splurge on something spendy please?

I don't mind if it's for a 32 or a 36 hole rim.