Author Topic: Does eBay tell the seller where you are?  (Read 1239 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Does eBay tell the seller where you are?
« on: 30 March, 2018, 11:37:38 pm »
I lost some stuff yesterday and when I returned to the place i’d lost it the person who was there all the time denied any knowledge. Ok, my stupidity put me in the situation, (I ran for cover from the rain and forgot to pick up my bag) and I had no evidence other than circumstantial and his baiting, so I let it lie. By sheer coincidence a seller in the town we’re staying in has listed a Mavic battery exactly the same as I lost with a buy it now and collection offer. But when I emailed him to ask to collect tomorrow, he can’t do that because he’s out of town!
So has he got wind because eBay has told him I’m not from around here?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Does eBay tell the seller where you are?
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2018, 11:50:02 pm »
Not as far as i'm aware. I'm pretty sure you only get the punter's address once the sale is concluded.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2018, 12:00:40 am »
Ah, bugger. It was a buy it now so I did, but I picked collection so didn’t give my address. But if eBay has released that info then I’m probably rumbled  :(
I may pop along to the police station tomorrow to see if I can interest them in doing anything, but I doubt it.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Ben T

« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2018, 08:29:23 am »
It gives the town/city but not the exact address within the town.
It lists this as "item location" , not "seller's address". So where the item is, it doesn't list where YOU are - the two may be different. I presume it defaults to your home town but you may be able to change it.

« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2018, 08:48:19 am »
Even when you buy something "collection in person", ebay will still list the buyer's address in the order details. If you specify a different delivery address, ebay will also list the address associated with your account. The seller won't see this on the email notification they get, but they can drill down to see it on the site.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2018, 08:54:27 am »
I had an eBay seller ring me on my mobile. I asked where he got the number from and he said that they had given it to him. I was also offered a sellers phone number by them when I had a dispute over an item.

So it looks like they tell sellers and buyers all sorts of details if you ask.