Author Topic: Deleting 'Locations' from Garmin Edge 510  (Read 2071 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Deleting 'Locations' from Garmin Edge 510
« on: 25 May, 2018, 11:57:26 am »
I've got a load of old 'Locations' (GPX waypoints) stored on my Edge 510 that I want to get rid of. There's no 'Delete All' option and doing it manually requires several button presses for each one. Tiresome.

Would it be safe to connect it to my computer by USB, navigate to the appropriate folder and delete the 'Locations.fit' file? I'm guessing/hoping that if I do this, it will just generate a new (empty) Locations file, but I don't want to take any chances...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Deleting 'Locations' from Garmin Edge 510
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2018, 03:03:30 pm »
This certainly works on my edge 800 and 810, I do this all the time.
Yes, it will create a new locations.fit ( containing 3 Garmin offlce locations! )

However, I seem to remember that on Mrs. F's Edge Explore 820, deleting this file did not delete the waypoints, and I did have to do it all manually one-by-one like you say.
It seemed to have imported them into some internal store which is not exposed in the exported filesystem.

I'd say go ahead and delete the file and re-start the device and see what happens.
If you are of nervous disposition, make a backup copy of it onto your PC first, so you can restore it if required.

citoyen

« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2018, 03:07:18 pm »
It seemed to have imported them into some internal store which is not exposed in the exported filesystem.

Sneaky!

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll give it a go and see what happens...

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2018, 05:29:26 pm »
Yes, or Basecamp will see them and let you delete all. I tend to use Bascamp for deleting old tracks and waypoints.

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2018, 11:54:23 pm »
All seems to work fine - deleting the Locations.fit file just defaults to the factory preset locations (Garmin HQs).

I've tried using Basecamp but I can't get to grips with it. And it doesn't like my attempts to customise the symbols used on waypoints.

I've been using gpxeditor.co.uk to create waypoint files - it's very user-friendly. And then add custom symbol tags manually in a text editor (just changing them from the default flag, which I don't like, to something less obtrusive).