Author Topic: In the so-called post today  (Read 2787 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: In the so-called post today
« Reply #25 on: 14 June, 2018, 06:39:21 am »
Some GDPR BS from Thames Water, which went in the bin.  I don't need texts to tell me my water is off.  The tap can do that, with  follow-up support from the internet.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #26 on: 14 June, 2018, 08:04:05 am »
From a postie's perspective, the worst crap to deliver was the plastic charity bags. Those are a right pain to get through letterboxes.

Just as you can switch off pop-ups in your browser, I've given you the option to stop junk mail above...

You'll still get all the election bollocks though & posties get 5p for each leaflet delivered, so elections were a bit of a bonus.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

ian

« Reply #27 on: 14 June, 2018, 08:14:19 am »
I've been waiting for a water bill for about five months now (they misread the meter – significantly – and re-read it and...) I did ask them and they said, yes, the new bill will be with me soon and my account is on hold etc.

I think I'll write to tell them that at this point I've assumed they didn't want paying and have moved on.

I think all my other bills are electronic, though sometimes still a bit random. No one in the utilities industry seems especially competent.

« Reply #28 on: 14 June, 2018, 08:35:26 am »
I had a visit from 'Gary' (no surname given, or ID shown), offering to steam-clean my
driveway and re-point some loose bricks on it. 'Only £140' guaranteed. I took his flyer
and checked the address. They're based in Chester, many, many miles from my house.
And no, I didn't part with £140.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #29 on: 14 June, 2018, 11:52:37 am »
I spake too soon. On getting home yesterday I found on the mat:

Item - Leaflet explaining how I can earn up to £180 per month delivering leaflets;

Item - Leaflet telling me Stephens Estate Agents are desperate to sell Castle Guy (thinks: FOAD);

Item: Leaflet extolling the merits of Henlow Vetinerary Centre (which is actually in Lower Stondon).

The recycling bin was grateful for the snack.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 14 June, 2018, 01:24:23 pm »
A polylope containing some cute little fuel hose clips, with which I have replaced the dodgy crimp on my Trangia gas burner.

A flyer from the RSC in Stratford.  As spam goes, that's pretty cultured.

Obligatory pizza menu.

A boring looking letter addressed to barakta that's probably pension-related.

I also note the pile of charity bags by the recyling box has been growing.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #31 on: 14 June, 2018, 01:50:03 pm »
I also note the pile of charity bags by the recyling box has been growing.
You could put them all in one picked at random and put it out for collection. Most of them are actually commercial undertakings which promise to give _some_ of the financial gain from each bag of stuff sold, the rest of the money being taken but the operator as profit. This is usually explained in very small print somewhere on the polylope that contains the sack.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #32 on: 14 June, 2018, 02:08:23 pm »
A card telling us to read our electricity meter and fill in the figures in the space provided.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight