Author Topic: Disraeli Geardians  (Read 1278 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Disraeli Geardians
« on: 07 June, 2018, 09:53:37 am »
The bloke behind the Disraeli Gears website has selected some of his favourite derailleurs and written about them on the Guardian. There are some great phrases, including Simano's "triumph of beer-fueled reality over EPO-fueled fiction," which must be the cycling equivalent of "visiting your own six a.m. Lower East Side of the soul."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2018/jun/07/10-weird-and-wonderful-derailleurs-and-how-they-changed-cycling
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Samuel D

Re: Disraeli Geardians
« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2018, 10:18:31 am »
Excellent! I remember reading that beer-fuelled line from his amazing website. The paragraph leading up to it is fun too.

Cool to hear he worked in bike shops for 40 years. I feared he was another City finance guy only dreaming of those places.

The Paul Powerglide looked amazing, but Sweatman should have mentioned its key dimensions were copied directly from a SunTour VGT.

Another fun bit:

“When a market gets bland and homogenised you can often look to France for some light relief. The EGS Up Cage was a masterpiece of incredible but doomed euro-technology in the fine tradition of the Citröen DS and the Concorde airliner. First find a blind alley, then charge up it at maximum speed, all the while deploying astounding creativity, inimitable panache and a reluctance to compromise on anything, least of all quality.”

« Reply #2 on: 07 June, 2018, 04:20:25 pm »
I read this earlier on; the lines about the Royals and infidelity cracked me up as well. Pity the show only seems to be happening in Edinburgh.

« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2018, 11:30:32 pm »
Thanks for the link Cudzo. I bought one of those Huret Jubilee mechs, around about 1986, and never used it. I may still have it at the bottom of a box somewhere.

« Reply #4 on: 08 June, 2018, 12:03:42 am »
I can't post pictures as Yahoo won't let me reset my Flickr account but #6 surely needs to go in the CDC thread!
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #5 on: 08 June, 2018, 06:26:35 am »
I can't post pictures as Yahoo won't let me reset my Flickr account but #6 surely needs to go in the CDC thread!

This one?  ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 08 June, 2018, 07:45:17 am »
I like (and have) the early 90s "aero" Shimano 600 rear mech.  Obviously it's not actually going to speed me up but it does look kind of slick.

20170907_173215 by rogerzilla, on Flickr
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #7 on: 08 June, 2018, 07:52:43 am »
Tsk tsk. Looks a bit grubby RZ. :D
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #8 on: 09 June, 2018, 06:25:09 am »
Oh god that EGS Up Cage is stunning. I would have that on my mantel piece never mind my bike.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.