Author Topic: Odd washer for cargo trike  (Read 2734 times)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
Odd washer for cargo trike
« on: 17 June, 2018, 12:55:08 pm »
Continuing saga of Lewisham Cyclists cargotrike. The lovely people at The School Run Centre recabled the hub motor in the wheel. They gave me some replacement washers but one set is the wrong size. It’s the one that is held in place in the frame  by a little grub screw.  The one they gave me looks like this
                                     It fits on the axle fine. But is too long and the arm part to fit the grub screw extends past the hole. The one on the other side is Shorter.  Anyone know where I can source a replacement? And what it’s called so I can try and find it online maybe?

Thanks.

Re: Odd washer for cargo trike
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2018, 01:10:59 pm »
Do you have a picture of the 'correct' one?
To give me an idea whether the incorrect one could be modified to fit.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2018, 01:29:06 pm »
Well, I’d have to get the bike out on the road again, turn it over, remove the wheel again! I’ve kinda put it back together temporarily. Should have taken a picture of it before. Can’t face doing all that again today. I’ve replaced everything bar that washer so the bike can be stored off the road upright. I should think it might be possible to drill a new hole nearer the axle space to fit the grub screw?

« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2018, 01:38:05 pm »
That's the line along which I was thinking...

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2018, 02:31:21 pm »
Yes, that might well be possible. If I had the tools. It fits on to a part of the frame with lots of space around it.  Here is the one on the more easily accessible side.     

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2018, 02:32:17 pm »
That’s the correct washer in Place there.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #6 on: 17 June, 2018, 02:36:43 pm »
It’s also clear from that picture why we had the problem in the first place. Very vulnerable cable point where it enters the hub. Widest point of the trike so gets knocked. Real design fault on an otherwise wonderful little cargotrike. Probably why we got it so cheap second hand and why they don’t use this system anymore. Still done a whole years hard work for us with no other problems.

« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2018, 02:39:05 pm »
I was going to suggest that if you are coming over here today, that you bring both, and I'll see if I can do something with it.

ETA - if you remove both, and align the axle holes, perhaps by putting an axle-diametered bolt through both, and you have metal present when you look through the grub screw hole of the correct one, then you are in with a chance.

« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2018, 02:46:26 pm »
WRT the hub cable entry, might it be possible to fashion some kind of protective cage that clamps or welds onto the box section?

« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2018, 02:46:53 pm »
lots of torque reaction arms here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=ebike+torque+arm

Most are made to fit an M14 threaded axle but there is no guarantee that they are all the same shape exactly. If you have one each side of the wheel then they have to be 'timed' correctly to one another. The one on the wire side is obviously a PITA to fit because of the wire.

If you can't get exactly the right thing then any amount of cutting drilling and welding is possible to make these things fit.

I'd suggest that a metal shield  (that bolts to the frame and/or the axle) is added to protect the exposed wire.

BTW the small bolt that secures the torque arm is just that, i.e. a bolt, not a grub screw.

cheers

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #10 on: 17 June, 2018, 02:47:22 pm »
Was madly trying to fit the wheel so I could bring the bike over to pick the stuff up. Had finally decided to just bring the touring bike with panniers or trailer. Can’t face manhandling the cargotrike again today. Will stuff fit in panniers or do I need trailer?

« Reply #11 on: 17 June, 2018, 02:49:09 pm »
I think you'll need a trailer for the workstand, assuming that you have an interest in that.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #12 on: 17 June, 2018, 02:56:21 pm »
Ok...trailer it is. Sent you a PM

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 17 June, 2018, 05:47:01 pm »
WRT the hub cable entry, might it be possible to fashion some kind of protective cage that clamps or welds onto the box section?

Derailleur protector of the type commonly fitted to children's bikes?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #14 on: 17 June, 2018, 07:15:56 pm »
The picture above shows a washer fitted to the drop out. Is it possible to lay the good washer over the 'wrong' one, transfer the shape then drill/cut/file it so it fits?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #15 on: 17 June, 2018, 07:25:57 pm »
Thanks everyone, once again. Now I know what it’s called, so that helps. If I can’t get two the same, drilling the new one will have to be the way to go, if it’s possible.

« Reply #16 on: 18 June, 2018, 07:24:37 am »
From the photo it looks like there's plenty of flat space all around the axle. Is that right? If so, I think I'd simply get a large 'repair washer', file it out to fit the axle and cut a slot for the reaction screw head.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #17 on: 18 June, 2018, 08:09:50 am »
FWIW these reaction arms are usually about 4mm thickness; they need to be pretty robust to do their job properly.

cheers

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #18 on: 18 June, 2018, 03:16:06 pm »
Yes. It’s much thicker than a washer.

« Reply #19 on: 21 June, 2018, 09:01:46 am »
Fairy Nuff.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #20 on: 22 June, 2018, 11:50:32 am »
Ok so went on this site http://www.ebikeschool.com/install-hub-motor-washers/. The info here seems to suggest that these washer type things that The School Run Centre also gave me would do the job. Set up looks like this when fitted. On both sides.

Is that sufficient?

« Reply #21 on: 22 June, 2018, 11:56:41 am »
Is that sufficient?

probably not, if your motor is anywhere near the same torque rating as ones I have dealt with.

cheers

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #22 on: 22 June, 2018, 12:00:48 pm »
That’s what I thought. It’s 180w.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #23 on: 06 July, 2018, 10:25:54 am »
And the saga continues. Have acquired all sorts of different fittings. Was recommended one that fits with an adjustable arm and hose clip. I have some questions about it.
Can I fit this on one side where there is something to attach the hose clip and fit the one remaining original one on the other side? There is nothing on the inside to attach adjustable arm to. I see Bruce mentioned they have to be timed to each other. So am guessing this is not possible.
And, secondly, the torque arms are really thick strong steel. But the hose clip feels quite flimsy in comparison. Is that arrangement strong enough to do the job?

« Reply #24 on: 06 July, 2018, 12:23:14 pm »
if the torque arm is one-piece and the loading is in the right direction then an apparently feeble hose clip may be good enough to restrain the thing; the longer the arm, the less force the clip has to deal with.

However if the arm is in two pieces, i.e. with a potential pivot in the assembly, then in many cases using a hose clip is almost a waste of time; the forces are not well dealt with and the main effect may be to try and slide the clip along whatever it is around. The only way of mounting this safely is to know what direction it is trying to turn in and to fold the arm almost double so that the axle bears against the extended part of the arm and cannot rotate (in one direction at least).

FWIW I have seen a lot of terrible lash-ups and I have made/modified (by welding)  torque reaction arms that are designed to  work better with specific frames and mountings.  You might be well advised to do something similar here; belt and braces would be to weld tabs onto the frame rail, and to bolt rigid torque reaction arms to them.

cheers