Author Topic: Old Nokia to more modern smart fone jump?  (Read 3241 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Old Nokia to more modern smart fone jump?
« on: 11 September, 2018, 05:01:21 pm »
Advice sought about ‘upgrading’ from an old Nokia 6303 phone with an EE SIM only monthly useage DD bill.

I hardly ever use the thing, other than as a means of telling the time, an alarm clock, the odd txt. and an emergency communication device when out and about. It rarely costs me more than £3 a month :) and I was given the used phone/handset for nowt. However the battery is getting near the end of its long life and it’s set me thinking about ‘upgrade’ time!

I have no idea what these new fangled smart phones can do, and do not want to have any huge monthly contract bills, so any suggestions would be most welcome, as to the the cheapest least smart (simplest) devices? Capable of:

Wi-Fi Calling (so I could use one via my super duper FTTP broadband)*
And occasional very low use internet connectability, when out and about - for those things one wants info on (remotely) and perhaps a smart phone is a good idea?

I really struggle to find any meaningful/understandable info about new phones and am completely overwhelmed by alien terminology and frightening choice - mostly very expensive!

I’d like to retain my current mobile phone number if possible.

Perfectly happy to consider second hand - as really don’t want anything too complicated.

* several reasons for this, mostly to do with internet applications wanting to send security codes etc - which is a pain as there is NO mobile coverage here at the end of my mountainous track - I have to cycle 3.5 miles from my home to get a mobile signal, or walk up Snowdon! Not to mention courier companies that will only provide update delivery schedules via mobile phone. There’s other circumstances too but I can’t recall them right now - only that they register as being a pain living in a region with zero mobile phone coverage.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: Old Nokia to more modern smart fone jump?
« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2018, 05:11:18 pm »
If you want to minimise the ongoing cost it may be best to purchase a device outright (£100 would get you a reasonable new device, such as a Nokia 1 - https://www.idmobile.co.uk/shop/sim-free/nokia-1 ) and then you could have a "SIM only" deal which could be as little as £5 per month for your requirements.

This article is a good summary of the networks which offer WiFi. https://www.4g.co.uk/news/ee-o2-three-and-vodafone-which-networks-offer-wi-fi-calling/

You can transfer your existing number to a new SIM card - I've done this several times.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2018, 05:40:56 pm »
Many thanks telstarbox

Your info is a great help with all that mindboggling 'stuff' out there

Much appreciated  :)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2018, 05:50:22 pm »
I still have an immaculate Motorola MOTO G II if you want a lovely smartphone for £55 posted.

It will take your existing SIM (you may need to trim it to fit) and telephone number.

It has a nice camera and has lived its life in a protective case so it looks new.  If you're interested I'll power it up and check it works 100%
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2018, 06:37:58 pm »
I still have an immaculate Motorola MOTO G II if you want a lovely smartphone for £55 posted.

It will take your existing SIM (you may need to trim it to fit) and telephone number.

It has a nice camera and has lived its life in a protective case so it looks new.  If you're interested I'll power it up and check it works 100%

Hi Lee - will it support WiFi Calling?

I have no idea how that works but do need that as a prerequisite - cos of the monster mountain Snowdon and ZERO mobile masts in the Nantgwynant valley

Re "trimming my existing SIM to fit" - is that just a Stanley knife kinda thang?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2018, 06:57:46 pm »
Re "trimming my existing SIM to fit" - is that just a Stanley knife kinda thang?

Impressively, yes - though it's much easier if you have the right size SIM to use as a template.  (There are also special cutters that will do it for you, if you're going to be making a habit of such things). 

You can generally ask your provider to send you a new SIM in a different size.  They're used to it.

« Reply #6 on: 11 September, 2018, 07:08:22 pm »
I have no idea how that works but do need that as a prerequisite - cos of the monster mountain Snowdon and ZERO mobile masts in the Nantgwynant valley

Depending on your service provider they may offer a "femtocell" to provide you with mobile signal at your house via your broadband connection.

e.g. here's Vodafone's offering: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/calling-features/sure-signal
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7 on: 13 September, 2018, 06:06:37 pm »
After much (Dr John) 007/FBI type investigatin' it seems the WiFi Calling complicates things and adds to the cost. Also finding the cheapest (cos I don't think I need hardly any data use nor need to make more than one phone call a month etc) is made difficult by my ageing left behind fug brain and providers' unwillingness to make a choice based on lowest cost. Not to mention various handset compatibilty issues and then network differences.

So far, I'm probably going to give up soon and convince myself happiness and the ability to exist, has nothing to do with 'smart' phones.

EE will provide a WiFi guaranteed Nokia 1 handset for a one off £70 and thereafter a minimum top of £10 a month.

Basically it's all too complicated, costly and do I need it?

Thanks for all the replies though - as they helped me along the way :)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #8 on: 13 September, 2018, 06:35:03 pm »
Three do a sim card called 321, 3p a min calls, 2p a text and 1p a mb with 500mb a month free if you order the right card ;)http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans

Can order a few free sims and see which one works.  All the mobile people would send you one for free.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #9 on: 13 September, 2018, 06:47:22 pm »
EE will provide a WiFi guaranteed Nokia 1 handset for a one off £70 and thereafter a minimum top of £10 a month.
They don't make it very obvious, but you don't have to pay £10 a month.
Yes, as standard the PAYG SIM gives you a 'pack', ie a bundle of data/minutes/texts, costing £10 a month. But you can cancel this, and use it as actual PAYG instead. ie just pay for any calls/data you use.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #10 on: 13 September, 2018, 07:02:39 pm »
They don't make it very obvious, but you don't have to pay £10 a month.
Yes, as standard the PAYG SIM gives you a 'pack', ie a bundle of data/minutes/texts, costing £10 a month. But you can cancel this, and use it as actual PAYG instead. ie just pay for any calls/data you use.

This could be good news? Many thanks fuaran. I'll delve a bit deeper

I'm still confused as to which handsets are capable of WiFi Calling and which networks support that connection?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #11 on: 13 September, 2018, 07:51:03 pm »
Though checking now, it seems EE PAYG won't let you use data unless you buy a pack. Cheapest is £1 for 100MB, lasts 7 days.
I think most of the other networks have proper PAYG. ie you can just use data without any pack, it just charges you per megabyte. You can do this on Giffgaff anyway.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12 on: 17 September, 2018, 07:18:10 am »
Might I suggest popping in to Tesco, explaining what you want to the bods in the mobile dept and let them sort it out?

Odds are that you can get a package that will suit - and you can't be the only one in the vicinity of Snowdonia with a crap signal.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #13 on: 17 September, 2018, 10:48:07 am »
Might I suggest popping in to Tesco, explaining what you want to the bods in the mobile dept and let them sort it out?

Odds are that you can get a package that will suit - and you can't be the only one in the vicinity of Snowdonia with a crap signal.

Sadly it appears (from my brief investigation) Tesco mobile (via O2) don't support/offer "WiFi Calling"  :(

« Reply #14 on: 17 September, 2018, 11:20:29 am »
The post above about femtocells seems to have been skipped over - if you want your phone to behave as if it has a signal in a certain location where there’s no normal signal, that’s the way to go.

Are you needing to call anyone or just specific people? “The kids” these days make voice calls to each other using apps (e.g. Skype or Facebook messenger) so aren’t dependent on the foibles of what the phone network supports for actual voice calls. Skype will let you make (and possibly receive) outgoing calls to the phone network.

I don’t think wi-fi calling will actually solve your text message problem - it might be worth investigating services that let you access a text message inbox online with its own phone number.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #15 on: 17 September, 2018, 12:08:31 pm »
The post above about femtocells seems to have been skipped over - if you want your phone to behave as if it has a signal in a certain location where there’s no normal signal, that’s the way to go.

Just checked the Vodaphone femtocell possibility. The total cost over 24 months for the “sure signal” + an iPhone SE and the cheapest contract would amount to £699.

As opposed to a 24 month contract with idmoble for an iPhone SE (with Wifi Calling) and a total of £362 (the same over 24 months as buying a SIM free iPhone SE from John Lewis and a pay monthly low use SIM from idmobile - who's 3 network supports WiFiCalling.

It should be noted my average monthly mobile phone cost for the last 3 years has been 17p per month!

Are you needing to call anyone or just specific people? “The kids” these days make voice calls to each other using apps (e.g. Skype or Facebook messenger) so aren’t dependent on the foibles of what the phone network supports for actual voice calls. Skype will let you make (and possibly receive) outgoing calls to the phone network.

No 'kids' :) The reasoning behind wanting the ability to make phone calls from home on a mobile is my BT landline and broadband package only includes ‘free’ call at the weekend - so even though I don’t hardly need to use a telephone (I don’t like the things either), the inclusive minutes on a mobile would enable that if required.

I don’t think wi-fi calling will actually solve your text message problem -

I understand Wifi Calling does allow incoming and outgoing calls and txts?

I also appreciate my 'thinking' and reasoning may well be flawed ::-)

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #16 on: 17 September, 2018, 05:14:51 pm »
Thanks for all the helpful replies folks  :)

Have dived in at the deep end ::-)  just ordered an iPhone SE (no upfront cost) on a 24 month contract (WiFi Calling compatible 3 network) idmobile minimal use SIM for £13.99/month - total cost over two years £336.

Cheaper than buying a handset and the very cheapest SIM only  :)

Hope it all turns out well?