Author Topic: The Triathlon Thread  (Read 99822 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
The Triathlon Thread
« on: 28 March, 2008, 09:25:19 pm »
Yes, I admit it: Not content with being competitive, I have to pollute my cycling experience with a swim and run! 

I can't be the only one, so here beginneth the triathlon thread - confess to your need for rubber, public changing, a nice tight tuck and elastic shoelaces right here.  Your sins will be absolved (as long as you have enough carbon bling).

Potted tri history: This is my third year.  Year one started with a drunken New Year dare - I had to learn to swim before doing a half-sprint on my fixie.  It was about the hardest thing I'd ever done and I was hooked.  I bought a proper road bike (fixies aren't allowed) and did a couple more sprints.  Year two and the early sprints led to an Olympic, which was a hoot.  Then the bottom fell out of my season - I got nerves, then sick, then wintered.  Year three's going to be a push for pre-40s glory with a half-Ironman as the end-of-season peak goal.

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Julian

• samoture
Re: The Triathlon Thread
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2008, 06:31:44 pm »
You're a loon, Andy, and reading one of your posts (either at the other place or the other other place, can't remember) made me want to tri it.  (Geddit?)

Where's the best place to start if you can't ride fast, can't swim fast and run like Forrest Gump?  I really want to give it a go, but have a horror of finding myself stranded amongst a group of tri hotties (that part alone is fine) and then panting along, Billy Bunter stylee, while they vanish into the sunset...  :-[

« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2008, 06:55:48 pm »
I'd like to try some Triathlons. I have to admit that the only real reason is because girls seem to quite like them  :P

I'm sure I'd be a bit rubbish as I understand stopping for tea and cake isn't generally recommended for a good time!

The swimming bit would potentially be ok as I was county champion many times over - 20 odd years ago though! So that's no good. I hate running. Shit. Oh and I'm not exactly quick on a bike.......  Might be a laugh though. And there are those gurls  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2008, 07:12:58 pm »
The totty is very fine.

The easiest way to start is to commit to a short race.  The standard short distance is 500-750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run.  Pick a pool swim and you don't need any extra kit (always wise for the first one) otherwise you can hire wetsuits.

Here's British Triathlon's event search.  Things don't really get going until it's warm, so you have plenty of time! 

Now, you'll need to practice your front crawl.  The swim is freestyle, and people do events with breaststroke, but fc is the fast one.  That means getting regular swim sessions in.  Bike, well, 20k is a warmup for you - you ride it like a time trial, no drafting, aero and gurn it :)  Run - get some good shoes and pound the pavement with a long-steady run and a speed run each week. 

The fourth thing to practice is transition: the changeover.  Closer to the race, start doing combination workouts of swim-bike and bike-run (I set my running shoes ready when I get home from my commute, for example, or just ride to the pool and back).  The swim-bike transition is pretty straightforward at this distance (at longer distances you get woozy as you've been lying down for so long!).  The bike-run transition feels weird so it's good to do it a few times.

A cheerleader taking incriminating photos of you bending over putting your shoes on is always good.  Stick all your stuff in a plastic crate next to your bike and lay out a distinctive towel too so you can spot your steed.  Fixies aren't allowed, helmets are required - in novice events you'll see hybrids and full-sussers and shoppers, so don't worry about bling ;)

For a pool event the start is usually done in waves, to stop pile-ups in the lanes (you post a predicted time before the event).  In my first event, I was in the "barely able to swim at all" lane and we all kept stopping, breaking into breaststroke, gasping for air... it was a real clown show, but very good humoured. 

Triathletes generally *are* very good humoured.  I wouldn't still be doing it if everyone was sour and elite.

If you can run and swim to some degree of skill, then three months is plenty of time to get ready for a sprint. 
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2008, 08:59:40 pm »
I'd like to try one but my swimming is desperately poor. How many 25m lengths is 500m? 20? That'll take me nearly half an hour.

Maybe I should focus on getting my swimming up to scratch. Good for the core strength as well.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2008, 06:50:38 pm »
I can swim moderately and cycle well, it's running that really lets me down.  I probably just need to practice. 

*heads off to search for easy events*

« Reply #6 on: 30 March, 2008, 07:10:12 pm »
I see that my nearest tri event (club) is in Harlow and they do a short event for beginners. Maybe I'll give it a go this summer - along with some TTs. I'm sure I'll be useless, but there's only one way to get better!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #7 on: 30 March, 2008, 07:38:28 pm »
I see that my nearest tri event (club) is in Harlow and they do a short event for beginners. Maybe I'll give it a go this summer - along with some TTs. I'm sure I'll be useless, but there's only one way to get better!

I've just discovered one in Rugby on 5th May.   I'm gonna have to sleep on this and mull it over whilst pounding out my mile in the morning in the pool.

Update:  No mulling required - it's all in the name.  Chick's, i.e girls only.   :(

Ah well ...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2008, 12:11:10 am »
Alas tri totty is quite exceptional.  It's ver' distracting ;)

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:12:48 am »
Andy, what sort of times do people expect for each part?  It took me half an hour to do 40 lengths this morning.  20km cycle would take me the best part of an hour.  Would everyone else be sitting back in the hall with their rice pudding, or putting their bikes back up on the car by then?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:43:37 am »
There's always someone slower than you.  That's a rule, especially if I'm in the field  (in my first one, it was a guy with a wooden leg).  The organisers usually start a race in waves - elites, women, men, crew - so that the road disruption is as short as possible.  The elites get a free run, and the setup crew (marshals and the like - the organising club, usually) go last as they don't need marshals.

It's not uncommon for novices to post 1:45-ey sorts of times - I do!   And there's always a leathery old chap in speedos who comes in very last :D

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:47:44 am »
There's always someone slower than you.  That's a rule, especially if I'm in the field  (in my first one, it was a guy with a wooden leg).  The organisers usually start a race in waves - elites, women, men, crew - so that the road disruption is as short as possible.  The elites get a free run, and the setup crew (marshals and the like - the organising club, usually) go last as they don't need marshals.

Sounding more possible.  :)

It's not uncommon for novices to post 1:45-ey sorts of times - I do!   And there's always a leathery old chap in speedos who comes in very last :D

:sick:

Presumably the incentive to improve is to get further away from the leathery speedo-wearer and nearer to the toned tri hotties?   :D

« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:49:04 am »
Alas tri totty is quite exceptional.  It's ver' distracting ;)

Hmm.  Don't think they'll be interested in tubby ol' me though  :D

There's one not too far away from me in September that is convenient for location and time.  Roade.   Think I'll work towards that over the summer and see how it goes.

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #13 on: 31 March, 2008, 10:57:22 am »
I made the mistake of watching Sherborne Ironman last year and supporting a rather quick friend who finished 47th. It looked great and now I seem to have entered myself.

I've only ever done one sprint one before, and that's a few years ago. I had to learn front crawl. A few months ago I couldn't string more than a couple of lengths together, but now, with proper technique I can pretty much swim for as long as I like. I just need to get faster so I can make the cut-off time ;-)

It's been good fun so far doing all the training as a couple of mates are doing it as well. Really excited about BST and long evening riding the long way home from work!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 31 March, 2008, 11:50:20 am »
Presumably the incentive to improve is to get further away from the leathery speedo-wearer and nearer to the toned tri hotties?   :D

Well there's all that athletic nonsense too, but yes, reeling in eye-candy is a great bike-leg motivator :)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #15 on: 31 March, 2008, 01:09:45 pm »
I've only ever done one sprint one before, and that's a few years ago. I had to learn front crawl. A few months ago I couldn't string more than a couple of lengths together, but now, with proper technique I can pretty much swim for as long as I like. I just need to get faster so I can make the cut-off time ;-)

I can't string more than a length together (Liz would absolutely hammer me in the pool) but should do quite well on the bike, and moderately on the run. I'm hoping to improve my swimming this year by doing regular (at least once a week) pool sessions and careful rereading of total immerion (and following the exercises therein).

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Blah

« Reply #16 on: 31 March, 2008, 01:27:03 pm »
and careful rereading of total immerion (and following the exercises therein).

That's how I transformed my swimming... Good luck.

I've just come back from the pool, and whilst I can't really say that I find swimming enjoyable, I think I can say that it's something I can do (of sorts).

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #17 on: 24 April, 2008, 11:54:33 pm »
I don't think much of this global warming lark: the lake is so cold that the race organisers for my upcoming race have issued a warning that the swim may be short or cancelled.  I need a rubber ducky.

Blah

« Reply #18 on: 25 April, 2008, 11:37:32 am »
I don't think much of this global warming lark: the lake is so cold that the race organisers for my upcoming race have issued a warning that the swim may be short or cancelled.  I need a rubber ducky.

Where's that to then?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 25 April, 2008, 11:39:52 am »
(fixies aren't allowed)
eh? I've always found Tri a strange sport (basically it's a getting-dressed race, isn't it?),
but this is the strangest thing I've heard yet. Explain!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #20 on: 25 April, 2008, 11:49:11 am »
The race is in the New Forest.

The ducky isn't, but it's too damn cool not to share.

Fixies aren't allowed, arguably because a lot of triathletes are not primarily cyclists, and so the danger of numpting it up gets amplified.  Anyway, on most courses they'd be the worst choice.

Getting-dressed race?  You're welcome to try one...  :demon:

annie

« Reply #21 on: 25 April, 2008, 11:55:35 am »
Mmmmm just found this thread.

I have been looking at the triathlon magazines and am very tempted to have a go this year, don't know when or how but it is something I would love to do.  I can run and cycle not brilliantly but it will do.  Swimming is fine but would need to work on my front crawl.  I have a tri suit, so now just need to find an easy peasy event and train.  If only it was that simple.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #22 on: 25 April, 2008, 12:52:48 pm »
It is!  :)

You might want to give the Timex women-only race day a look:

http://www.humanrace.co.uk/womenonly/index.html

The venue has a great reputation (I've not raced there myself but plan to), and there are a range of distances being raced on the day.  Plus there's plenty of time to recover in time for the Dun Run. 

annie

« Reply #23 on: 25 April, 2008, 12:53:52 pm »
It is!  :)

You might want to give the Timex women-only race day a look:

http://www.humanrace.co.uk/womenonly/index.html

The venue has a great reputation (I've not raced there myself but plan to), and there are a range of distances being raced on the day.  Plus there's plenty of time to recover in time for the Dun Run. 

Dun Run?  Who said I was doing that one? 

« Reply #24 on: 25 April, 2008, 12:56:41 pm »
 :hand:

Back to your sick bed Annie!

but feel free to post pics of you in a tri suit ... :P
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark